Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering the 7 seater.

I was wondering how comfortable the middle seat in the back row might be for someone 6ft1 to sit with legs outstretched? I am hoping there is enough space in between the captain seats to fit, maybe with legs crossed, a very long pair of outstretched legs.

·
Registered
965 Posts
We are considering the 7 seater.

I was wondering how comfortable the middle seat in the back row might be for someone 6ft1 to sit with legs outstretched? I am hoping there is enough space in between the captain seats to fit, maybe with legs crossed, a very long pair of outstretched legs.
That's something I didn't test. But someone 6'1" is going to be very close to rubbing his head on the roof, even with the seat reclined. And there's good room between the captain's chairs, so probably a qualified yes from me.

·
Registered
646 Posts
5'9 and under your ok height wise, comfort is so-so for adults for short drives and I would assume good for the little ones for extended drives. If your an adult and want to stretch your legs the front (captains) have to be up against the front seats. Also something to think about- If you have a couple of kids and they bring friends there still is not enough room behind the 3rd row for stuff especially if there is a stroller or 2 involved. Some folks will be pushed into the Suburban/minvan segment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sat in the 3rd row last night. I am 5'6 on a good day. The 3rd row was tight. I could probably sit there for 45-minutes to an hour before I started going crazy. The VW Atlas definitely seems like they have a better third row but I won't be sitting in the 3rd row - only the kids with little legs so no worries there.

My husband is 6'4 and sat in the drivers seat with it all the way back and there was still able room in the second row.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The Ascent is a very small SUV, relatively speaking, because the news outlets touted to be equivalent to a giant Tahoe - they completely got it wrong!!!! These information are still out there to confuse ppl.

W/ that being said, the Ascent (7 seater) can comfortably fit 4 average-height adults (5'10" tall; front and 2nd row) and two little kids (3rd row).

For 6'1" people, you can only fit 4 adults comfortably; forget the 3rd row, it's useless.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Two other thoughts:

If you do end up with someone tall in the third row, make sure the person in the second row moves their seat forward a little. That will give the person in the third row a bit more legroom. And unless you're really tall, no one in the front seat will have their seat all the way back anyway.

Also for comfort, make sure the headrests in the third row are up before you get in. Otherwise they hit you in the back.

And of course, the nice thing if there's only going to be one adult in the 3rd row is that you're probably going to be able to spread out and sit sideways anyway.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Two other thoughts:

If you do end up with someone tall in the third row, make sure the person in the second row moves their seat forward a little. That will give the person in the third row a bit more legroom. And unless you're really tall, no one in the front seat will have their seat all the way back anyway.

Also for comfort, make sure the headrests in the third row are up before you get in. Otherwise they hit you in the back.

And of course, the nice thing if there's only going to be one adult in the 3rd row is that you're probably going to be able to spread out and sit sideways anyway.
Another thing I noticed is that adults need to use the 3rd row's recline feature. The seats don't lean back nearly as much as the other rows, but it's pretty imperative to lean them back from the standard straight upright position (I never felt 90° was comfy anyway).

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Ascent is a very small SUV, relatively speaking, because the news outlets touted to be equivalent to a giant Tahoe - they completely got it wrong!!!! These information are still out there to confuse ppl.

W/ that being said, the Ascent (7 seater) can comfortably fit 4 average-height adults (5'10" tall; front and 2nd row) and two little kids (3rd row).

For 6'1" people, you can only fit 4 adults comfortably; forget the 3rd row, it's useless.
I disagree. We had 6 fully grown men in the touring and it was just fine. I'm 6'1" and sat in the back just fine. Would I want to cross state lines back there? No. But an hour wouldn't be torture.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No doubt the Atlas is a leader in it's class for the 3rd row leg room, but Ascent must and should be better than other 7P SUV's like Santa fe, Highlander and Pilot.
Otherwise, Subaru will regret if they don't fix the issues had with Tribeca.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just went to the local dealer who has a demo model to check out the third row some more. I'm 6' and fit in the third row with the seat tilted back but my hair was hitting the roof. I would think someone over my height would not be comfortable for a long trip. Legroom wise it seemed fine but I couldn't adjust all the seats as the battery was dead.

Glad I checked it out and I still really like the car. Just can't wait to drive it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just went to the local dealer who has a demo model to check out the third row some more. I'm 6' and fit in the third row with the seat tilted back but my hair was hitting the roof. I would think someone over my height would not be comfortable for a long trip. Legroom wise it seemed fine but I couldn't adjust all the seats as the battery was dead.

Glad I checked it out and I still really like the car. Just can't wait to drive it.
I see your location is in Maryland. Who is the dealer?

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
No doubt the Atlas is a leader in it's class for the 3rd row leg room, but Ascent must and should be better than other 7P SUV's like Santa fe, Highlander and Pilot.
Otherwise, Subaru will regret if they don't fix the issues had with Tribeca.

The dimensions are actually very similar if one lines up the seats the same:

VW ATLAS
  • First: 41.5"Leg / 41.3" head
  • Second: 37.6 Leg / 40.4 Head
  • Third: 33.7 Leg / 38.3 Head

ASCENT
  • First: 42.2"Leg / 41.3" head
  • Second: 38.6 Leg / 40.0 Head
  • Third: 31.7 Leg / 36.3 Head

Totals:
  • ATLAS: 112.8" Leg
  • ASCENT: 112.5" Leg

There's literally only 0.3" difference in the legroom, so, it's all a matter of arranging the seats. Shoulder room is about the same. The Ascent loses in the head room category in third row by 2", but is near identical in the other two rows.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The dimensions are actually very similar if one lines up the seats the same:

VW ATLAS
  • First: 41.5"Leg / 41.3" head
  • Second: 37.6 Leg / 40.4 Head
  • Third: 33.7 Leg / 38.3 Head

ASCENT
  • First: 42.2"Leg / 41.3" head
  • Second: 38.6 Leg / 40.0 Head
  • Third: 31.7 Leg / 36.3 Head

Totals:
  • ATLAS: 112.8" Leg
  • ASCENT: 112.5" Leg

There's literally only 0.3" difference in the legroom, so, it's all a matter of arranging the seats. Shoulder room is about the same. The Ascent loses in the head room category in third row by 2", but is near identical in the other two rows.
Agree, but what I meant was Subaru should have kept the comfort range let room for 3rd row without adjusting the 2nd row seats. So, it won't be an excuse for people not buying Ascent saying that we are 6 ft family and we need a SUV bigger than Ascent.
I don't have an issue, since we avg about 5.8 only and that is why we choose Ascent over Atlas :tango_face_wink:

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Agree, but what I meant was Subaru should have kept the comfort range let room for 3rd row without adjusting the 2nd row seats. So, it won't be an excuse for people not buying Ascent saying that we are 6 ft family and we need a SUV bigger than Ascent.
I don't have an issue, since we avg about 5.8 only and that is why we choose Ascent over Atlas :tango_face_wink:

I don't know why they worked the numbers that way. They could have made the numbers line up with the Atlas very easily by adjusting the seat positions. I guess it's because they expect the adults to be in the first two rows, so, wanted to show more space there?

Weird, huh?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
for those who have sat in an ascent, any thoughts about being 6ft1 and stretching your legs out between the captain seats in a 7 seater.

We took a few trips in a friends car, maybe an escalade (dont remember) but it had captain seats, and we had two in the captain seats and one 6ft1 with legs stretched between the captain seats and we as a family have never been as comfortable driving. trying to stay a subaru family and experience this driving bliss we had with the seating of our friend's car.

·
Registered
764 Posts
for those who have sat in an ascent, any thoughts about being 6ft1 and stretching your legs out between the captain seats in a 7 seater.

We took a few trips in a friends car, maybe an escalade (dont remember) but it had captain seats, and we had two in the captain seats and one 6ft1 with legs stretched between the captain seats and we as a family have never been as comfortable driving. trying to stay a subaru family and experience this driving bliss we had with the seating of our friend's car.
Here are a few pictures I just took inside our Ascent. I'm 6'1 and set the seats to a position I'd be comfortable in.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
If a third row is not needed and towing(I heard the comfort range is 4,500 with 5k maxed out) not needed this does really bring much to the table for me vs a 3.6 Outback. The seats see to be more comfy in the Outback(limited/touring) and you can't fit your feet under the front seats like a Outback due to all the black boxes under the seats (well at least the drivers side)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks Jason,

that first picture is exactly what i have been looking for. seems like the legs, crossed do fit. a little tight, but seems doable. we also have a child whose legs swell because of some major surgeries, who needs to keep his legs straight out when sitting, he is little, so if we packed some bags under his legs in between the captains chairs, he would have plenty of room.

one more question, headroom.. Jason, being the exact height i am wondering about, when you were sitting for that first picture, in the middle seat, was your head touching the ceiling?

·
Registered
764 Posts
thanks Jason,

that first picture is exactly what i have been looking for. seems like the legs, crossed do fit. a little tight, but seems doable. we also have a child whose legs swell because of some major surgeries, who needs to keep his legs straight out when sitting, he is little, so if we packed some bags under his legs in between the captains chairs, he would have plenty of room.

one more question, headroom.. Jason, being the exact height i am wondering about, when you were sitting for that first picture, in the middle seat, was your head touching the ceiling?
In the normal seated position yes, my hair touches. When the 3rd row is reclined a bit I'm fine. Everyone is going to have different torso to leg differences, but I think I'm pretty normally proportioned :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks Jason. I have thought about torso proportions already. Seriously, i get so into over analyzing things that i am trying to figure out how different my daughter is from the golden mean... and hair height.... funny.

i think we will be fine.

thanks again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts