Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I really like the third row overall. I’m only 5’8” and can just barely sit there without my head touching the roof though so I’m very confused by many 6’ reviewers that get back there and have headroom? Not a problem for me though as I will never sit back there. It is primarily for the cargo space and occasional extra passengers, likely children.
This brings me to the reason for this post. The headrests do not work for the children the row is intended for. I really don’t get it. You can’t leave the rest in the folded seat position as it ends up in the middle of their back. So you slide it up but then the kids heads are lined up with the metal posts. There is no notch for a child or young teens head height. Subaru really missed it here.
The good news is, it’s an easy fix. 5 minutes with a dremel and a extra notch on each end seat and a few on the middle seat rest and they work for any size passenger.
I read a post somewhere here that you can use a travel pillow but that’s just one more thing to worry about.
Metal

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
You can do the same with the center headrests or go one step further and notch the opposite side. This allows the headrest to be inserted backward. Not recommended for normal people use but if you have a high-back booster in the 2nd tow turning the headrest backward allows the high-back to rest on the seat itself rather than leaning forward because of the headrest. The headrest would fit in backward without the notch of course, but the notch keeps it secure so it can’t become a projectile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.