Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19 Limited 7 Passenger and have been slightly annoyed since our purchase in 2018 that there is a very small lip between the rear cargo area and the third row when it’s folded down. I seem to recall when we looked at the 8 passenger there was no lip to catch objects on. Am I right? Does the third row on the 7 passenger really not fold completely flat or is something wrong with my setup? Maybe the seat back protectors are too thick?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
There should be no difference between the 8- and 7- passenger with the way the third row level is when flat relative to the "cargo" area in the back. There is a slight lip. The seat-back protectors also have a thickness to them that adds to any height difference. The only thing different is the second row...

It's not been a major issue for me at all. Yes, you have to sometimes slightly maneuver something past the lip, but in general, not really a big thing, at least for me. And my third row is pretty much always down. I bought the vehicle for the space, not the extra seats.

Reactions: kathytn and xydadx3

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
I have had the third row seat back protectors installed since the day I got the car. If there's a gap, I never noticed it because of them. I can safely say that there's no functional gap with the seat protectors and rear cargo tray in place.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had the third row seat back protectors installed since the day I got the car. If there's a gap, I never noticed it because of them. I can safely say that there's no functional gap with the seat protectors and rear cargo tray in place.
Thats why this is so weird because I checked this on a different Ascent from the one we purchased and there was no lip from what I could see... but on mine there clearly is a lip on the third row and it makes pushing coolers and other long items in there a major pain.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yes. There's a vertical offset (step) between the rear deck and 3rd row seatbacks. I find it bothersome as well. I keep some crates in the back to hold groceries etc. and they don't fit on the flat deck. I have to lift the forward ends of the crates onto the back of the 3rd row because of the step. It's the same with anything else I want to slide in. The only solution that comes to mind is to make a riser of some sort to raise the deck even with the 3rd row seatbacks. I haven't measured it but it'd have to be around 0.75-1" thick or so.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I don't have the rear seat back protectors, but I do have the rubber cargo mat, and when I'm pushing something in, the lip on the mat tends to add enough height that it's easy to push things onto the folded third row. I can see where things would catch if you didn't have that mat there. Plus the mat sometimes slides up onto the third row seatback when I'm loading something big, which makes it easier to push things up onto the folded third row seat backs.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I find the cargo area protector to slide a little too much for my liking plus one have to be mindful so the PLG doesn’t jam. I’ll be experimenting with some velcro strips and see if that helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find the cargo area protector to slide a little too much for my liking plus one have to be mindful so the PLG doesn’t jam. I’ll be experimenting with some velcro strips and see if that helps.
The Subaru cargo area protector sucks. It just slides all over the damn place. Meanwhile the seat back protectors are basically glued on.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Thats why this is so weird because I checked this on a different Ascent from the one we purchased and there was no lip from what I could see... but on mine there clearly is a lip on the third row and it makes pushing coolers and other long items in there a major pain.
Apologies, I was thinking gap. Yes, they're not quite the same height.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes. There's a vertical offset (step) between the rear deck and 3rd row seatbacks. I find it bothersome as well. I keep some crates in the back to hold groceries etc. and they don't fit on the flat deck. I have to lift the forward ends of the crates onto the back of the 3rd row because of the step. It's the same with anything else I want to slide in. The only solution that comes to mind is to make a riser of some sort to raise the deck even with the 3rd row seatbacks. I haven't measured it but it'd have to be around 0.75-1" thick or so.
I have a rubber backed carpet runner back there on top of the Subaru protectors. Everything slides just fine and it's easier to clean - pull and shake or hose down if needed.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have a Weather Tech cargo mat that covers the deck and backs of the third row seats. It only partially mitigates the issue with the step between the cargo deck and third row seatbacks. Do some versions of the Ascent not have this step?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
Do some versions of the Ascent not have this step?
They all do, regardless of trim level or seating arrangement. An Ascent is an Ascent. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
The Subaru cargo area protector sucks. It just slides all over the damn place. Meanwhile the seat back protectors are basically glued on.
I pulled the seat back protector off, while taking pictures for Dirty Dog 4x4 to see if they'd be interested in making a trench cover, they are velcro-ed to the carpet by hook side being adhered to the protectors. That would be the fix for the cargo mat sliding around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts