Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished our first road trip with our 2020 Ascent Limited 7 passenger.

I road alone in the 3rd row (with the single seat down) in the outboard driver’s side seat. My 2mo and 3yo were in the Captain’s chairs and my pooch was riding shotgun with my husband.

Every time we got in the car even when it only 5-10 mins had passed since we turned off the car I was begging my husband to turn down the thermostat. The rear lower heating vent at my ankle was blowing easily 90 degree air at me and would easily burn a child if they touched the vent. The thermostat was set to 67.

The only way to stop this seemed to be to turn the top vents on only which then felt like air conditioning.

I’m not sure if anyone has had this issue. I kept searching this forum but I didn’t find any real post about it. I have vowed to make my husband sit back there this evening so he can experience it and not just think I was having some sort of moment!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 2020 Touring also has excessive heat issues. Any temperature between 80 - 65 feels the same...super hot and no change in temperature. Only after I turn it down to 65 or lower does it starts to feel better. I haven't had my first oil change yet but when I do I will definitely have the dealer check this out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2020 Touring also has excessive heat issues. Any temperature between 80 - 65 feels the same...super hot and no change in temperature. Only after I turn it down to 65 or lower does it starts to feel better. I haven't had my first oil change yet but when I do I will definitely have the dealer check this out.
we haven’t had our first oil change either. We just hit 1,000 miles at the end of this trip. If we haven’t figured it out by then we will have to bring it up as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Think of it like the furnace in your house.

If your house is at 60 degrees, and your thermostat is set to 70 degrees, you furnace turns on and provides a steady amount of heat until it reaches 70 degrees. It doesn't provide "less" heat if it is set to 70, and "more" heat if it is set to 90. It just runs longer to get up to temperature. (My buddy has this battle with his wife all the time... she sets the house thermostat to 80, thinking it will warm up the house faster.... thats just not how it works. But I digress.)

Your Ascent is working the same way. The temperature sensors note that the car needs more heat to get up to your desired ambient temperature, so it pumps out as much as it can to get you up to temp. Once it reaches that temp, it should stop pumping out heat.

That being said... my thermostat in my car is normally to 67. If it is very cold outside, I'll notice that it runs longer, and it starts getting very hot in the car. I'll drop it to 63 or 64, and the heat turns off and it stays very comfortable inside.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
240 Posts
Every time we got in the car even when it only 5-10 mins had passed since we turned off the car I was begging my husband to turn down the thermostat. The rear lower heating vent at my ankle was blowing easily 90 degree air at me and would easily burn a child if they touched the vent. The thermostat was set to 67.

The only way to stop this seemed to be to turn the top vents on only which then felt like air conditioning.
Did you try playing with the 2nd row temperature controls? Whenever my kids get in the car, they immediately turn on the 2nd row heat way hotter than what I have up front. Maybe if you sent the 2nd row to be cooler than whats up front, you can find a more comfortable setting?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you try playing with the 2nd row temperature controls? Whenever my kids get in the car, they immediately turn on the 2nd row heat way hotter than what I have up front. Maybe if you sent the 2nd row to be cooler than whats up front, you can find a more comfortable setting?
Had it set to 64 in row 2. My kids can’t touch the thermostats at all as they are both in rear facing car seats.
So that’s helpful. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
(Everyman has this battle with women all the time... she sets the house/vehicle thermostat to 80, thinking it will warm up the house faster.... thats just not how it works. But I digress.)
FIFY. Now I'm really getting myself in trouble.

I am beginning to think the Ascent's heat has a 2 stage output as everyone quotes 65 as the trigger point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts