Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We are a growing family with limited budget. We need a 7/8 seater and Ascent Convenience (Canada) is the one we can afford. Just wondering if the transmission issue has been resolved for 2021 model or not. Anyone have any idea about it? Also this trim does not come with transmission cooler....should I be worried about it.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Hi all,
We are a growing family with limited budget. We need a 7/8 seater and Ascent Convenience (Canada) is the one we can afford. Just wondering if the transmission issue has been resolved for 2021 model or not. Anyone have any idea about it? Also this trim does not come with transmission cooler....should I be worried about it.
Thanks
None of the ascents had a cvt issue. The problem was the wiring harness , which has been resolved.
The added trans.ission cooler is important if you plan on towing the higher limit certain models offer which is 5000lbs. If you have the lower tow limit you do not need that cooler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None of the ascents had a cvt issue. The problem was the wiring harness , which has been resolved.
The added trans.ission cooler is important if you plan on towing the higher limit certain models offer which is 5000lbs. If you have the lower tow limit you do not need that cooler.
Thanks Packout for the reply. We don’t have any towing requirement. At best we would carry a few bicycles that’s it.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
Canadian here, with the base model. It doesn’t have the cooler and only 2000lb tow rating because of it. But it is not necessary if not towing so don’t worry. I have no need for towing either but had the hitch installed for the bike rack. Been months and still waiting for the rack to arrive however.
As mentioned, the cvt issue was a harness on the ‘19’s that was corrected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Canadian here, with the base model. It doesn’t have the cooler and only 2000lb tow rating because of it. But it is not necessary if not towing so don’t worry. I have no need for towing either but had the hitch installed for the bike rack. Been months and still waiting for the rack to arrive however.
As mentioned, the cvt issue was a harness on the ‘19’s that was corrected.
Thanks Gsubaru. How do you find it overal in Canadian winter condition?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Thanks Gsubaru. How do you find it overal in Canadian winter condition?
"Where in Canada? Canada is more than 5,000 miles from the east to the west and almost the same distance from the south to the north. There is a wide range of climates in the various regions. So which one of those do you want to compare to New England? If you are comparing the Maritimes to New England, it would be similar. If you are comparing central Canada to New England, it would be less severe in central Canada. If you are comparing the west coast to New England, it would be much milder on Canada’s west coast. The prairies would be much colder than New England. "

Robert Mauro lives in NY state and clearly appreciates his Ascent throughout the winter. I live in Colorado and similarly appreciate the Ascent. One environment is wetter than another and the Ascent can handle it all. Obviously if your winter is severe cold than you might consider a block heater. Certainly consider winter tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Where in Canada? Canada is more than 5,000 miles from the east to the west and almost the same distance from the south to the north. There is a wide range of climates in the various regions. So which one of those do you want to compare to New England? If you are comparing the Maritimes to New England, it would be similar. If you are comparing central Canada to New England, it would be less severe in central Canada. If you are comparing the west coast to New England, it would be much milder on Canada’s west coast. The prairies would be much colder than New England. "

Robert Mauro lives in NY state and clearly appreciates his Ascent throughout the winter. I live in Colorado and similarly appreciate the Ascent. One environment is wetter than another and the Ascent can handle it all. Obviously if your winter is severe cold than you might consider a block heater. Certainly consider winter tires.
My bad, forgot to mention I am in Toronto. Winters here is much better than Western Canada. I would say similar to NY. Thanks for the info. Good to see that you guys are happy with the performance.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
My bad, forgot to mention I am in Toronto. Winters here is much better than Western Canada. I would say similar to NY. Thanks for the info. Good to see that you guys are happy with the performance.
I use Blizzaks for the winter and Wildpeaks AT for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks
I don't wanna get in your business, but define "growing family." People often over buy the car the really need. Here in the US, a Karen has two kids and she thinks she needs an Abrams main battle tank to drive around when all she really needs is a Subaru Outback or something

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I don't wanna get in your business, but define "growing family." People often over buy the car the really need. Here in the US, a Karen has two kids and she thinks she needs an Abrams main battle tank to drive around when all she really needs is a Subaru Outback or something
Once you get a certain age the family size might be static but the volume of comfort gear taken can grow.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Once you get a certain age the family size might be static but the volume of comfort gear taken can grow.
I love how you dad bod, cargo shorts wearing, geniuses assume I don't have multiple kids so there's no way I know what I'm talking about

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
One large container in the rear is maintained for emergency equipment and supplies. That container will be expanded if I go on a longer trip depending on location and weather. That of course is in addition to whatever gear we need for the overnight(s) adventure. Three adult size occupants and our stuff (three large packpacks, day packs, tent, stove, clothing, food, water etc.). The decision is to either have it all inside or a roof top/hitch container of some sort.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Trans cooler - I guess most folks live in cooler climates. I live in the south where it can be over 100f often. I would not want a car without the trans cooler because it would have a harder time in my climate. But if you live where it is cooler it may not be an issue.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
I’m in central Canada, Winnipeg to be exact. I’ve only had the Ascent for a couple months, we’ve only got a bit of snow so far but it’s over a sheet of ice from freezing rain last week. It’s enough to give me confidence in it being up to the challenge as was my Ridgeline. We get -40celcius, into -50’s with windchill. 100km winds are not unheard of and dumps of over 1 foot of snow at at time. Freezing rain, fog you name it. The one thing we don’t have to contend with here is hills though.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts
If your vehicles are not in a garage, you may want to consider the battery warmer, and engine block heater .. and then remember to plug them in at night. Growing up east of Oshawa, Ontario I had a Mazda B2000 small pickup truck that if I forgot to plug in, I was late for school. Well, that is the excuse I gave my parents at least ;) My wife is American; hence, I am south of the border these days.

Cold cranking does use more battery. Folks on this forum have been known to swap out the battery as soon as they get it for a beefier one. You may just get away with a beefier battery for the Toronto area. Search this forum for what folks usually end up with.

Heated outside mirrors are SOOO nice to have in cold climates. I never grew up with them, but having vehicles now with them, I don't know how I survived. Again, this might be something you want to consider.

Of course, I am wimp, so I get heated seats these days. Again, super nice for cold climates but not a necessity. The same goes for the heated steering wheel. This is my first vehicle with a heated steering wheel - I really like it.

I have read that in Canada the cellular remote start does not work. With my Outback I got the physical remote start installed. Super nice again in cold climates. Where I work has a huge parking lot and can take me a few minutes walk to the car depending on my luck to find a parking spot that day. The remote start has come in handy to warm up the cabin a bit and get some of the snow off of the windows before I get to the car and I have to scrap them. The gotcha with the physical remote start is you need to set your defrost settings, fan, etc before you turn off the vehicle so the car starts up the way you want it - at least that is how it works for my Outback. The cellular start is SUPER nice as you can set all of those in the app. If your vehicle sits outside at home, the remote start would come in handy too.

I do find the Ascent warms up MUCH faster than my Outback; hence, it is nice for the cold days to warm up the cabin faster.

I do find my Outback can be a bit of slow dog on the cold days until it warms up. The Ascent and its turbo engine hides that quite well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If your vehicles are not in a garage, you may want to consider the battery warmer, and engine block heater .. and then remember to plug them in at night. Growing up east of Oshawa, Ontario I had a Mazda B2000 small pickup truck that if I forgot to plug in, I was late for school. Well, that is the excuse I gave my parents at least ;) My wife is American; hence, I am south of the border these days.

Cold cranking does use more battery. Folks on this forum have been known to swap out the battery as soon as they get it for a beefier one. You may just get away with a beefier battery for the Toronto area. Search this forum for what folks usually end up with.

Heated outside mirrors are SOOO nice to have in cold climates. I never grew up with them, but having vehicles now with them, I don't know how I survived. Again, this might be something you want to consider.

Of course, I am wimp, so I get heated seats these days. Again, super nice for cold climates but not a necessity. The same goes for the heated steering wheel. This is my first vehicle with a heated steering wheel - I really like it.

I have read that in Canada the cellular remote start does not work. With my Outback I got the physical remote start installed. Super nice again in cold climates. Where I work has a huge parking lot and can take me a few minutes walk to the car depending on my luck to find a parking spot that day. The remote start has come in handy to warm up the cabin a bit and get some of the snow off of the windows before I get to the car and I have to scrap them. The gotcha with the physical remote start is you need to set your defrost settings, fan, etc before you turn off the vehicle so the car starts up the way you want it - at least that is how it works for my Outback. The cellular start is SUPER nice as you can set all of those in the app. If your vehicle sits outside at home, the remote start would come in handy too.

I do find the Ascent warms up MUCH faster than my Outback; hence, it is nice for the cold days to warm up the cabin faster.

I do find my Outback can be a bit of slow dog on the cold days until it warms up. The Ascent and its turbo engine hides that quite well.
Thanks Idaho Oak for the good tips. I am planning to get the remote starter install when I get the car. Car will be parked inside so hopefully the factory battery will be good enough.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts
There may be some non-Subaru remote start options that offer cellular start capabilities. If interested, you may want to look other brands versus Subaru branded.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts