Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my ascent limited tomorrow - what are some things that I should check on a walk around/test drive before driving away?

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Picking up my ascent limited tomorrow - what are some things that I should check on a walk around/test drive before driving away?
This is the running list I have on my phone:
  • Rear doors not opening or sticking
  • Door seals ripped or flat spots
  • Tire Pressures too high
  • Scratches/cracks in glass/paint
  • Doors not unlocking with keyfob in pocket
  • AC dying after 20 miles
  • Radio presets deleting

Obviously a few of those are hard to do at the dealer

I'd also suggest an extended test drive if possible on your vehicle to test as much as possible.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Make sure you do a complete walk around and look for door dings, scratches, paint problems, etc. Much easier before then to get home and not be able to do anything. Check to make sure all your safety mechanisms work, get a demo on the adaptive cruise control, and Hill descent function. Check that all usb outlets work.

This is the running list I have on my phone:
  • Rear doors not opening or sticking
  • Door seals ripped or flat spots
  • Tire Pressures too high
  • Scratches/cracks in glass/paint
  • Doors not unlocking with keyfob in pocket
  • AC dying after 20 miles
  • Radio presets deleting

Obviously a few of those are hard to do at the dealer
Great info and list! Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am considering buying the Ascent. I was going to ask the same question posted in this thread. Now, this thread is pretty old, before I settled on one, anything else new to double check?

One more to check is look for distortions in the windshield.

Anything?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Dealer does the checking before delivering it to me and the burden is on them to ensure it's ready for me to take home. Here are my recommendation to ask the salesman before picking it up:

1. Have you check the interior to make sure all electronic and parts/trims all in order? What was the result?
2. Have you check the exterior to make sure all body parts are in order? What was the result?
3. Have you check the engine/tranny to make sure it's operating normally? How did you do it and what was the result?

I don't like to depend on people but in this case, I believe it's optimal to push the responsibility onto them. The car has thousands of parts that can potentially be an issue and they're more equipped to identify them than us, unless that's something you enjoying doing.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Check that they left you with enough gas to get to the next gas station.

I forgot to check that mine had a hitch because the sales guys said it was installed and found out a couple weeks later it did not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There's a decent thread here https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...check-when-taking-possession-your-ascent.html

post #33 has a google doc...

It's true the dealer should be checking things.. and if they are of value you should be able to come back without much issue if it's reasonable. But the horror stories are out there... we're all human.

For me, the checklist helps keep me grounded (cause it's exciting!) but I don't plan on checking every box. A few items like sill plugs, windows, brake controller pig-tail... and I'll likely ask that they specifically checked the turbo manifold bolts. Beyond that, it'll be part of the journey....

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are transferring plates make sure they give you the right ones!

My dealer took the plates off the wrong car in the parking lot!!! (while checking my trade in they moved it without telling my salesman and another CRV parked in the same spot)

Luckily i noticed before they left. :nerd:

·
Registered
86 Posts
The most important part is to check things that can easily be blamed on you after you've left the lot.
malfunctioning electronics or things like that you can go back for, but things like scratches or chipped window edges or damaged/dirty interior "could have happened after you left, sorry"

·
Registered
561 Posts
Miles--took delivery of a "new" car with over 300 miles on it:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts