Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the first mods I did on my '14 Forester XT was replace the stock bar with an OEM STI rear bar for like $110. It made a MASSIVE difference in how that thing handles.
It was only like a 2mm thickness jump, but it was immediately noticeable. Much more planted and instantly playful without any downsides. It definitely didn't over-stiffen the rear.
Absolutely shoul've come that way from the factory.

Has anybody made one for the Ascent yet? I assume it is not a standard OEM dimension from any other Subaru's?

·
Registered
685 Posts
You can always upgrade to CKE performance sway bar bushings.

:love:

·
Registered
559 Posts
I’m having a tough time understanding how a higher durameter bushing is equal to a thicker sway bar. With the sway bar each end is tied down so that the anti-sway effect is translated to the contralateral side.

A stiffer bushing otoh, would merely have more resistance in compression. This would necessarily create a stiffer ride but I don’t see how it would have nearly the same anti-sway effect a bar would.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ You’re right. I’ve had myriads of different sway bars, end-links and aftermarket bushings on various cars in the past. It’s kind of a sum of all parts thing. The sway bar really is the bang for the buck, big difference maker, while the bushings help to quicken the effect and tighten (stiffen) the feel. Depending on the bushing it can also add a whole new maintenance schedule which can be a PITA.
Just swapping the bar is a quick way to get 90% of what I need with no ride quality downsides.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I’m having a tough time understanding how a higher durameter bushing is equal to a thicker sway bar. With the sway bar each end is tied down so that the anti-sway effect is translated to the contralateral side.

A stiffer bushing otoh, would merely have more resistance in compression. This would necessarily create a stiffer ride but I don’t see how it would have nearly the same anti-sway effect a bar would.
It's not the same, but in lieu of a bigger bar option, stiffer bushings will the performance of what you have.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Look at it this way. Fix one end of a sway bar and push up on the other end with a given force. It will deflect upward more with softer bushings and less with harder bushings. You get not only the twist of the bar itself, but the radial squish of the bushings. Compared to a thicker swaybar, I think the effect is relatively small.

That said, I'm quite happy with the stock setup. For what it is, I'm impressed with how well it handles within the scope of how I intend to drive it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of the first mods I did on my '14 Forester XT was replace the stock bar with an OEM STI rear bar for like $110. It made a MASSIVE difference in how that thing handles.
It was only like a 2mm thickness jump, but it was immediately noticeable. Much more planted and instantly playful without any downsides. It definitely didn't over-stiffen the rear.
Absolutely shoul've come that way from the factory.

Has anybody made one for the Ascent yet? I assume it is not a standard OEM dimension from any other Subaru's?
Perhaps we should consider reaching out to Subiespeed or Whiteline and let them know that there is a growing demand for an upgraded swsy bar for the Ascent. I asked Subiespeed to look into it. My previous Outbacks all had STI bars and they handled much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts