Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It not a matter of if, but when...

Hi all I just took possession of a 2020 Ascent Touring yesterday and wanted to thank the community for all the information I was able to glean while lurking this forum and the Palisade forum while trying to make my decision. Special thanks to @Robert.Mauro for posting about Dan Meola who is real, and does exist and will be helping me get my gold warranty!

One of the interesting and obtuse features my wife and I saw during our test drive was that front camera view that shows up in the viewfinder above the nav system. She hated it and insisted I turn it off during the test drive. It was dizzying she said. What use could it possibly have? Now that she has driven it a bit more she notices it helps during parking, but it is quite obvious that is an unintended consequence. You see, when you couple this seemingly silly feature, with a car with Subaru's legendary all wheel drive -- a feature known for getting you out of sticky (or should I say slicky?) situations the intent becomes quite clear. Clearly Subaru was designing a vehicle to enable us to survive the Zombie Apocalypse. You see we can cover up our windows so the zombies can't see us and with a rear AND forward camera still drive the car to safety. Had I bought anything else my family and I would have been eaten.

So gang, assuming the third row is down, what are you all packing in your Subie to assist in surviving this unfortunate event?

·
Registered
567 Posts

Hi all I just took possession of a 2020 Ascent Touring yesterday and wanted to thank the community for all the information I was able to glean while lurking this forum and the Palisade forum while trying to make my decision. Special thanks to @Robert.Mauro for posting about Dan Meola who is real, and does exist and will be helping me get my gold warranty!

One of the interesting and obtuse features my wife and I saw during our test drive was that front camera view that shows up in the viewfinder above the nav system. She hated it and insisted I turn it off during the test drive. It was dizzying she said. What use could it possibly have? Now that she has driven it a bit more she notices it helps during parking, but it is quite obvious that is an unintended consequence. You see, when you couple this seemingly silly feature, with a car with Subaru's legendary all wheel drive -- a feature known for getting you out of sticky (or should I say slicky?) situations the intent becomes quite clear. Clearly Subaru was designing a vehicle to enable us to survive the Zombie Apocalypse. You see we can cover up our windows so the zombies can't see us and with a rear AND forward camera still drive the car to safety. Had I bought anything else my family and I would have been eaten.

So gang, assuming the third row is down, what are you all packing in your Subie to assist in surviving this unfortunate event?
[

Regarding the front camera view - one more benefit ....has your wife ever driven down a narrow street, a drop off on her right side and a semi-coming in the other lane towards you? Panic....how much room do I have on my right to give them some room without going off the road? Punch the front camera view!!!!!! It's awesome for this purpose. You can see the white line on your right and immediately tell if you have space to more over.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The problem with any modern car with modern safety features, though, is that you've really got to shut them all down in an EOTWAWKI event. If just exhaust water vapor from preceding/adjacent vehicles at the stop-sign/traffic-light can trigger forward collision mitigation, just imagine what zombie-spray-mist (or vaporized human organs from said zombies chomping down on an unfortunate) would do? ;)

OK, that's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but for those of us who like to game-out such dire scenarios as urban unrest and the like, it really is worth remembering that our myriad of vehicle safety systems can potentially get in the way just as much as they can help keep us safe.

As for what goes in the trunk?

This thread saw a bit of participation from fellow members, and I also offered-up my own gear, too.

To my list of what I'd like to add, I've since added reflective safety vests and a dedicated vehicle blow-out kit, a BFE Labs/NoOneComing Adaptive Trauma Kit, which has a VELCRO-backed quick-release that I've attached to the third-row's middle headrest. Since my third row is almost always down, this makes for a great place for this "big emergency" kit, particularly as it now sits above the small extinguisher that I have. [ Note to anyone interested: BFE Labs is currently undergoing administrative restructuring, so their website may be down. Those who read my post in the thread cited above will note that I had wanted to get the Dark Angel HEDR kit, but its full retail is nearly 2x what I paid for with the BFE kit, without offering much more (only an eye-shield and mini-shears [the latter in-lieu of the Benchmade strap cutter included in the BFE kit]. The BFE kit is currently no longer listed on their website, but I hope they'll bring it back, as it really is both a great concept as well as of excellent value) ]. Also, since correcting my previous mistaken ID of the second-row side windows as laminated (they're not, they're tempered), I've placed two ResQMes on the exterior MOLLE rows on this pouch, to allow second row passengers more egress capabilities.

In the road-trip box, I've since added a tire inflator - 12V Tire Pump

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
I can't say that I covet that front camera on my Touring, but there have been a few times when it's actually been useful in tight parking situations. Now the rear-view mirror camera...THAT I truly love and it's on 100% of the time while I'm driving. I much prefer that over the regular "mirror" view. Not sure that will help much with zombies, however...if they are behind me, no worries. :) :D

Reactions: kathytn and cshupp

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
@cshupp did you try the system menu on the head unit to show the rear view camera while driving forward?
If not, hold the home button while double pressing the tune knob. Then on the touchscreen open camera settings and view as long as you want in drive or reverse!
I can imagine both cameras at the same time will be invaluable during the zombie apocalypse!

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
@cshupp did you try the system menu on the head unit to show the rear view camera while driving forward?
With the Tourting, there is already a rear view camera in the mirror if you want it with a much better view to the back than the backup camera would provide.

Reactions: xydadx3 and cshupp

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@kathytn -- Great use case, I showed that one to my wife!

@TSiWRX -- Very useful information to help us survive the apocalypse! The tech guy who showed me the goodies showed me the button to turn off all those features and I asked him why I would ever use it. I was told in an automated car wash. Now I am in shock that he missed the most obvious use case of all!

@xydadx3 -- I was wondering if I could do that in the main head unit. Haven't tried it yet.

@Jim_in_PA -- That feature was one that made my jaw drop during the test drive. We usually keep our vehicles for a minimum of a decade, but of course we always exceed it. My wife is coming from an 08 Escape so this is quite the change. I had no idea before we started the test drive that all these cars had the automation that they do.

We are getting some good data on surviving the end of days. Keep those great ideas flowing!

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
With the Tourting, there is already a rear view camera in the mirror if you want it with a much better view to the back than the backup camera would provide.
So what you’re saying is to be careful not to cover that rearview camera when blacking out the rear window? ?
That way the head unit could still be used for maps until gps goes down!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what you’re saying is to be careful not to cover that rearview camera when blacking out the rear window? ?
That way the head unit could still be used for maps until gps goes down!
Wait a minute, this might be useful apocalypse info. When blacking out the rear mirror I could black out that rear camera? Where is it?

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
So what you’re saying is to be careful not to cover that rearview camera when blacking out the rear window?
Obviously, if you do a dark tint on the rear window, you're going to affect the camera that's behind the glass just below the spoiler and brake light at the top-center of the glass. Assuming you want to be able to use the feature, even when just loaded high and heavy with cargo, rather than full time like I do. But since tint goes on the inside, they are going to have to cut around the camera housing anyway so you should be good.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
677 Posts
My problem with the digital rear-view in the mirror is that the focus is no longer "at-infinity." There's a bit of accommodation that I have to do, and my eyes are in that state of age-related flux right now that I'm having a bit of trouble doing that at the rate that I'd like. ?

That said, when there's three teens in the third row or when there's cargo piled to the ceiling, it's absolutely awesome, and I'd take that bit of compromise just to be able to see at all, for-sure!

-----

@TSiWRX -- Very useful information to help us survive the apocalypse! The tech guy who showed me the goodies showed me the button to turn off all those features and I asked him why I would ever use it. I was told in an automated car wash. Now I am in shock that he missed the most obvious use case of all!
:p It's one of those "Dad Hard" contingencies.

Automated car-washes are the by-Hoyle reason, but hey, you never know when there might be a zombie hoard!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Haven't had my Ascent long enough but all these tips you people have are great. Is there any "cheat sheet" with all/many of them listed somewhere? Like what button to turn off everything when entering a car wash??

·
Registered
677 Posts
Haven't had my Ascent long enough but all these tips you people have are great. Is there any "cheat sheet" with all/many of them listed somewhere? Like what button to turn off everything when entering a car wash??
Go to the Subaru Vehicle Resources page:

Download and read the Ascent Eyesight Owner's Manual.

You can also specify the 2020 MY vehicles, if you desire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. Will take a look. We just moved here from another state and almost finished getting home together. Haven't had a lot of time to read about all the features. It's like riding with a computer. My last car was a Subaru RX from '85. Manual everything back then.....

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
TZM, there are many discussions here in the Ascent forums about features including links to excellent videos that Robert created...car wash procedure is even one of them. Your manual obviously has everything in it, too. Be sure you get the downloadable version. It's searchable in ways that paper is not.

Reactions: kathytn and TSiWRX

·
Registered
567 Posts
Obviously, if you do a dark tint on the rear window, you're going to affect the camera that's behind the glass just below the spoiler and brake light at the top-center of the glass. Assuming you want to be able to use the feature, even when just loaded high and heavy with cargo, rather than full time like I do. But since tint goes on the inside, they are going to have to cut around the camera housing anyway so you should be good.
Rather than darken the rear hatch window - I purchased a solid black bed sheet at WalMart and spread that over everything. You can't see any thing or even tell it's a sheet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts