Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have our 1st big snow about 1 1/2 ago up here in Wasilla, AK about 8 inches total with temps dipping down close to the low teens at night. Here are a few things I have noticed now keep in mind this car sits in a semi heated garage overnight for the most part but during the day while my wife is at work it sits outside, uncovered and exposed to the elements.

1. Stock Tires are junk!! Those are one of the 1st things I changed out right after the snow hit and had sitting in the garage at set of Kumho Crugen HT51 which I ordered off of Amazon for around 537 for a set a 4. These tires are just leaps and bounds better than the stock Falkens

2. When it is cold the car acts very different than when it is warmed up. I may let it warm up for about 2 to 3 mins after the starting from a dead cold but once I get going, the throttle is VERY sluggish-like the car barely wants to move at all and then the CVT does not fake shifting whatsoever, but will let the engine "hang" in a certain rpm until the temp needle is about 1/4 up from C.

3. When it is really cold out like 15 degrees out or colder the engine will NOT get up to full temp. no matter how much I drive the car will not fully warm up which I believe is in part of the top mount intercooler cooling the back side of the motor acting like "air" cooling in conjuction with the water cooling. But I still have plenty of heat!

4. Mostly been filling up with 87 but in cold temps this car loves to drink the fuel as my gas milage when from 21 to 22 around town down to 16 to 17 around town. Have no idea how the highway miles are affected yet.

That's all I have so far, let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
96 Posts
What do you mean it does not get up to full temp? I didn't know there was such a thing.

The operating temperature is a range and not a number. It is designed to operate within a certain range. As long as it gets warm enough to open the thermostat from time to time it is up to temp and operating normally.

If you get plenty of heat I suspect it is operating properly within its designed range.

I agree with you on tires. I think most spec all seasons are 3 seasons at best. Twice I have replaced tires on new cars because they were dangerous in the snow. Congratulations on being proactive. Too many folks can't bring themselves to replace tires that aren't worn out even if they put the owner in peril.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had to replace crap tires on my Forester XT, I was afraid of this. Just in time with Christmas Shopping. Question is the ride similar with these tires, have them sitting in the cart undecided. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
So we have our 1st big snow about 1 1/2 ago up here in Wasilla, AK about 8 inches total with temps dipping down close to the low teens at night. Here are a few things I have noticed now keep in mind this car sits in a semi heated garage overnight for the most part but during the day while my wife is at work it sits outside, uncovered and exposed to the elements.

1. Stock Tires are junk!! Those are one of the 1st things I changed out right after the snow hit and had sitting in the garage at set of Kumho Crugen HT51 which I ordered off of Amazon for around 537 for a set a 4. These tires are just leaps and bounds better than the stock Falkens

2. When it is cold the car acts very different than when it is warmed up. I may let it warm up for about 2 to 3 mins after the starting from a dead cold but once I get going, the throttle is VERY sluggish-like the car barely wants to move at all and then the CVT does not fake shifting whatsoever, but will let the engine "hang" in a certain rpm until the temp needle is about 1/4 up from C.

3. When it is really cold out like 15 degrees out or colder the engine will NOT get up to full temp. no matter how much I drive the car will not fully warm up which I believe is in part of the top mount intercooler cooling the back side of the motor acting like "air" cooling in conjuction with the water cooling. But I still have plenty of heat!

4. Mostly been filling up with 87 but in cold temps this car loves to drink the fuel as my gas milage when from 21 to 22 around town down to 16 to 17 around town. Have no idea how the highway miles are affected yet.

That's all I have so far, let me know if you have any questions.
how many miles have you put on Ascent?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean it does not get up to full temp? I didn't know there was such a thing.

The operating temperature is a range and not a number. It is designed to operate within a certain range. As long as it gets warm enough to open the thermostat from time to time it is up to temp and operating normally.

If you get plenty of heat I suspect it is operating properly within its designed range.

I agree with you on tires. I think most spec all seasons are 3 seasons at best. Twice I have replaced tires on new cars because they were dangerous in the snow. Congratulations on being proactive. Too many folks can't bring themselves to replace tires that aren't worn out even if they put the owner in peril.
So I am referring to the temp gauge only as in where the needle normal sits when the outside air temperature is above 20 degress than when the outside air is much colder than that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to replace crap tires on my Forester XT, I was afraid of this. Just in time with Christmas Shopping. Question is the ride similar with these tires, have them sitting in the cart undecided. Thanks.
Not only is the ride better but to me there seems to be less road noise as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seems to be a common behavior of CVT cars, that even the CVT needs to warm up for it to start working normal.. My experience with a Nissan Pathfinder CVT.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Stock Tires are junk!! Those are one of the 1st things I changed out right after the snow hit and had sitting in the garage at set of Kumho Crugen HT51 which I ordered off of Amazon for around 537 for a set a 4. These tires are just leaps and bounds better than the stock Falkens
Thanks, I was hoping to hear from somebody in a snow zone before mine arrives around Christmastime. I live in the Colorado mountains. Sounds like I should budget for new tires. I'm thinking of doing what Roger did in the "Beefier Tires" thread and get some 17" wheels and All Terrain tires.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping to hear from somebody in a snow zone before mine arrives around Christmastime. I live in the Colorado mountains. Sounds like I should budget for new tires. I'm thinking of doing what Roger did in the "Beefier Tires" thread and get some 17" wheels and All Terrain tires.
We recently returned from a trip to Breckenridge. The Subaru Ascent was everywhere. We saw around 6 of them during our stay up there. You won't be alone!!:grin:

·
Registered
40 Posts
What's everyone else doing for new tires? The thought had already crossed my mind and I think it's something I'm going to have to put some more thought into as we've had a couple winter storms here in Wyoming.

It's my wife's daily driver and she hasn't complained yet, but I know she won't be as picky as I am. I'm sure she's just happy to have a nice AWD vehicle that will get her through snow to and from work.

I'm a die-hard Michelin fan and put them on everything we own. However, currently there doesn't seem to be much selection with Michelin tires in 245/50R20. :sad: Tirerack has none and Michelin only lists three themselves. We do have the Premier LTX on a Toyota Carolla and are great tires. However, I'd like something more like Defender M/S for the Ascent. There's a highly ranked set of Goodyear Weatherguards on Tirerack, but I've never experienced very good wear results with Goodyear. Seems like you put them on and the tread is gone in no time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What's everyone else doing for new tires? The thought had already crossed my mind and I think it's something I'm going to have to put some more thought into as we've had a couple winter storms here in Wyoming.

It's my wife's daily driver and she hasn't complained yet, but I know she won't be as picky as I am. I'm sure she's just happy to have a nice AWD vehicle that will get her through snow to and from work.

I'm a die-hard Michelin fan and put them on everything we own. However, currently there doesn't seem to be much selection with Michelin tires in 245/50R20. :sad: Tirerack has none and Michelin only lists three themselves. We do have the Premier LTX on a Toyota Carolla and are great tires. However, I'd like something more like Defender M/S for the Ascent. There's a highly ranked set of Goodyear Weatherguards on Tirerack, but I've never experienced very good wear results with Goodyear. Seems like you put them on and the tread is gone in no time.
I am using Bridgestone Blizzak V2s. No noticeable road noise! And so far good traction. Only used in 2 " snow and heavy cold rain.

You can see the pictures on this thread below.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...suspension/4549-help-snow-tires-wheels-2.html

·
Registered
965 Posts
1. Stock Tires are junk!!
If you live in an area that gets snow in the winter, and keeps it, you need to have a set of snow tires available. That's something that when I was growing up everyone knew, and for some reason, doesn't seem to be quite as common in knowledge anymore.

·
Registered
260 Posts
In Chicago during winter they plow so well and salt so much, the roads are more often wet than covered in snow. So a good set of all seasons tends to work out pretty well the whole year.

·
Registered
965 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah a bus jackknifed causing a traffic jam, and none of the plows could get through. If you had snow tires it wouldn’t have helped because the cars in front weren’t moving. They close down LSD now whenever there’s a big storm.

I was driving my Outback at the time in the suburbs with decent all seasons. I was able to make it home without issue, it was just slow.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I was driving my Outback at the time in the suburbs with decent all seasons. I was able to make it home without issue, it was just slow.
Remember, I'm from Indiana, so I know WAY too much about driving in snow with all-seasons on. :nerd:

And we'll get snowmageddon down here (Oklahoma) on Monday - we're expecting almost 1/2". That'll close the state down... :grin:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Indiana, of course! The weather in Lafayette is probably a lot like Chicago. I lived for awhile in downstate IL and Tennessee—it seemed like the snow on the streets was even worse there because they either didn’t have the plows or would wait a bit for the snow to melt before dumping the salt.

I can’t imagine the mayhem a snowfall in Oklahoma would bring. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts