Subaru Ascent Forum banner
421 - 440 of 456 Posts
It’s very annoying and what’s the reasoning for the radio to come on, even though it’s turned off before shutting off the engine. I have a few scratches on my back window.
With the Ascent, you can push the volume control in for 5 seconds before you shut the car off and then it won't come on when you restart it. It is still a bit of a pain. The service writer told me about this method when I told her I didn't like it coming on.

The losing of FM/AM/Sat presets saved has been an issued since they starting pumping out these 8" displays. THis happened on our 17 Impreza as well.. traded that in for this. Hopefully it's newer and will have better software support update to solve this lame QA issue.

Whoever the QA/Team was needs to be fired or the managers who gave this a ok to release or the team who created this radio for Subaru. I'm sure Subaru did not create this radio, probably was contracted to the likes of blaupunkt, clarion or something lame.
So sick of saving radio presets. I think we've entered them a dozen times. Thought my daughter's iPhone was causing the problem when it was plugged into the car. The presets disappeared again last Saturday and she hadn't plugged in her phone. I'm with you on firing the QA/Team! And their managers! And Subaru should find another supplier and replace the consoles!!

So sick of saving radio presets. I think we've entered them a dozen times. Thought my daughter's iPhone was causing the problem when it was plugged into the car. The presets disappeared again last Saturday and she hadn't plugged in her phone. I'm with you on firing the QA/Team! And their managers! And Subaru should find another supplier and replace the consoles!!
This problem was fixed months ago with a software update so if you or your service department have never updated the head unit software, that should be step 1.

Step 2 is to create a Driver Profile and then save the presets in your profile together with your paired cell phone.

This will eliminate the problem of lost presets.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
Unvanish your presets this way...

What if you don’t want Sirius? I’m growing more convinced that the preset problem is related to satellite communication. Any recommendations?

That's not quite really the case.

1. There's an update on the way which will make keeping presets for a confused radio more likely (profile and FOB confusion?).
  2. I posted a reset routine that has so far worked for everyone who's had this problem.
I posted this elsewhere (maybe FB I think)... I'll post it here in the How To section once I get some more feedback about it working (or not) for others.

This should likely be done outside and not in a garage.
  1. Activate your SiriusXM account online for the Ascent.
  2. Have only ONE FOB in the car, and remember which one it is.
  3. Start car with that FOB on your possession.
  4. Verify your subscription shows up on the Infotainment System.
  5. FACTORY Reset the Infotainment System.
  6. Re-verify your subscription shows up on the Infotainment System.
  7. Create a new driver profile.
  8. Add presets.
After many frustrating attempts at getting it to save mine, doing those steps in that order made mine stick for the last four thousand miles.

Hope that helps!!! Let me know your results.

Service tech said the system was up-to-date, we set up profiles, added radio station presets, a week later, mine were gone. My daughter's are still in the system though. :(
Please post your firmware version. I've found a few service technicians who get confused by the firmware versions.

Problem solved on front USB/Apple CarPlay not working... must use OEM Apple plug. Generic plugs will not work with iPhone
I just tried this on three different Ascents and CarPlay worked using any cable I used. I teated an Apple oem a Target knock off and it even worked using a micro usb to lighting snap adapter. I would think the cable you had trouble with was defective.

Some cords may be made for charging but not sending data. There should be some third-party cords that will work.
I'm using a 3ft Amazon Basics MFi certified cable and it seems to be working fine with my iPhone XS Max and iOS 13.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
I'm noticing my headlights look cloudy on the inside at the top. It looks like condensation was inside and then dried leaving water spots. Is this normal? What does everyone else headlights look like? I have a 2019 touring and its 6 months old. This day time picture is of the passanger side anand the night time picture is the driver side.

it's on page 9

Noise from under the vehicle

You may hear a noise from under the vehicle approximately 5 to 10 hours
after the ignition switch is turned to the “LOCK”/“OFF” position. However, this
does not indicate a malfunction. This noise is caused by the operation of the
fuel evaporation leakage checking system and the operation is normal. The
noise will stop after approximately 15 minutes.

So glad I checked this forum. I just picked up my premium Ascent last week. Less than 200 miles on it. I go out to the garage this evening to take a look around and I hear a buzzing noise. I drove it earlier in the day and its been sitting for 5-6 hrs. My best guess was that it had something to do with the fuel pump in the tank. I'm thinking "no wonder the batteries are dying on this cars if the pump is running all day. I start the car run it for a little, turn it off and listen, "no buzzing noise". But now I'm paranoid thinking something must be wrong.

Thanks for the information -this forum is wonderful.

So glad I checked this forum. I just picked up my premium Ascent last week. Less than 200 miles on it. I go out to the garage this evening to take a look around and I hear a buzzing noise. I drove it earlier in the day and its been sitting for 5-6 hrs. My best guess was that it had something to do with the fuel pump in the tank. I'm thinking "no wonder the batteries are dying on this cars if the pump is running all day. I start the car run it for a little, turn it off and listen, "no buzzing noise". But now I'm paranoid thinking something must be wrong.

Thanks for the information -this forum is wonderful.
Yep, it's a kind of scary noise the first time you hear it when the car is off.

Yes, when I first got the vehicle I programmed 6 stations. A few days later, I lost the first 3 but the 4, 5 and 6 stations remained. I have tried to add the other 3 back daily and when I turn the vehicle off, they are lost. I wonder if a software update caused it?
It needs a software update to fix. Mine did it for a year until they finally got the update configured to address!

My gripes with the Ascent:

1. The passenger airbag "notification light. Bright, glaring amber. And ON all the time, regardless of status.
2. The compass mirror: as others have said, RED is not appropriate. It is faint green on my Ford, faint blue on the Honda. The Ascent is BRIGHT red.
3. The indecisive CVT. 'nuff said.
Bonus!
4. The console cupholders. You just know that design was never focus-grouped.

I suggest the Cupholder insert for the Cupholder issue. I wish they'd thought of it in the original design.

LOL! I don't know. I think whoever perfects the cup holders will have a lot of fans.

Please post your firmware version. I've found a few service technicians who get confused by the firmware versions.
This is exactly what is wrong with the Ascent. If using this car requires one to be tech savvy (and, more so than the "expert" Subaru technicians), Subaru is losing a huge part of the car-buying public. Give me a car where I can press the "start" button and be on my way. All these tech/software issues are a big turnoff. When the car owner has to educate the Subaru technician, consider how idiotic that business model is. If Subaru wants to be the carmaker for nerds, count me out.(n)

This is exactly what is wrong with the Ascent. If using this car requires one to be tech savvy (and, more so than the "expert" Subaru technicians), Subaru is losing a huge part of the car-buying public. Give me a car where I can press the "start" button and be on my way. All these tech/software issues are a big turnoff. When the car owner has to educate the Subaru technician, consider how idiotic that business model is. If Subaru wants to be the carmaker for nerds, count me out.(n)
Your concerns are shared by many, but this issue is not limited to Subaru. It invades our lives in the entire auto industry as well as many other facets of our lives. To be honest we can not entirely blame the industry since it is the consumer who clamor for many of these tech laden features, it results in a manual that has more pages than most novels. This in turn results in reviews that tend to focus on the headunit instead of how the darn vehicle drives. We have owners of Hummers driving on paved roads, we have owners of fully electric vehicles who do not understand that in the cold weather they will have reduced capacity and therefore reduced mileage. We have vehicle seakers who think fully autonomous vehicles are coming next year. As the clamor gets louder the marketing attempts to make promises and develop expectations that are frankly not realistic. There is no HAL in any vehicle. We still have to get the wheels to go round and round. If we do not want to hit anyone while driving we actually have to have our hands on the steering wheel and our eyes and ears paying attention. Our vehicles are not party spaces. The more technical features we have in the vehicles, the greater the chance of partial or full failures in one or more parts/systems.

These are more and more rolling computers/robots with various degrees of autonomy.

421 - 440 of 456 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.