Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Page 120 of the Owner's Manual say the emergency key (the little old-school key hidden inside the fob) can be used to lock/unlock the glove box and the driver's side door.

It also indicates that you can use the emergency key to lock the fob inside the glove box, then use the emergency key again to lock the driver door. At least I think that's what they're describing.

So I did a practice run. The emergency key does lock the glove box, as described. However, it does not lock the driver's side door. I tried this with the fob inside the car, with the fob in my pocket just outside the driver's door, and with the fob placed 15 feet away. In all cases the emergency key does not lock the door when I twist it to the left or the right.

If I lock the driver door and keep the fob nearby, the emergency key does unlock the door when twisting the key to the right. I can feel the key overcome some slight resistance as it's twisted to the right, then the door unlocks. But only if the fob is nearby. If the fob is inside I get a beep warning that the fob is inside. If the fob is physically moved across the garage, the emergency key does nothing.

I don't know what's working like it's supposed to and what isn't.

·
Registered
567 Posts
To answer part of your question - they don't tell you to leave/lock the Fob in the glove compartment. When people are going fishing, hiking, etc and are afraid of losing their key fob, they first "disable it". I doubt they would lock it in the glove compartment because they are just as likely to lose the key while hiking, swimming, etc.

I know the tiny key is often used for Valet Parking. You lock your valuables in the glove compartment then remove the tiny key and give the Key Fob to the Parking Attendant. They can drive your can but can't get into your glove compartment - because you have the key (tiny).

If your Fob is inside the car, anyone can drive off with it. The tiny key doesn't start the vehicle, the Fob does.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The driver door is lockable with the key but you need to grip the key and turn really hard. Unlock is not as much resistance

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the fob is inside I get a beep warning that the fob is inside.
For security, it won't let you lock the fob inside the car. If you INSIST on leaving the fob in the car, you have to put it in a Faraday cage to block the signal. You can buy them on Amazon, or honestly, you can just wrap it in a few sheets of aluminum foil. Do this, lock the car with the door button, then close the door.

As Kathytn said, its preferred that you "disable" the fob and take it with you because if anyone breaks in and finds the fob, they can drive off.

·
Registered
567 Posts
As Kathytn said, its preferred that you "disable" the fob and take it with you because if anyone breaks in and finds the fob, they can drive off.[/QUOTE]

Disabling the Fob and taking it with you still doesn't reduce the risk of losing it while hiking, swimming, boating, etc.

The instructions are on Page 130 of the thick manual for - "Disabling Keyless Access Function". With a Faraday bag someone can still break in and steal your car. Either way, you will have to program in a Pin Code from a button on the hatch door (Page 127 of manual) so that you can get into the vehicle with no Fob.

But the odds of someone breaking in if the vehicle is locked is very slim. If not here, then on the Facebook "Subaru Ascent" page are photos of the damage done when someone tried to break into their Ascent.. The glass is (Windshield and Doors) are required to be Laminated as of last year. Laminated glass does not "break" . It's also used where hurricane-resistance construction is required. Google it and you'll see how first responders have had to adapt.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wondering what the battery life of the keyless fob is ? Today (car 4 months old) I could not unlock the rear hatch, or the door via handle, but was able to use the UNLOCK button. And the car started normally.. So of course, my first thought was "battery getting weak" .
The location was a golf course parking lot, wide open, not a lot of electrical noise, and no prior issues in the same parking spot

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Wondering what the battery life of the keyless fob is ? Today (car 4 months old) I could not unlock the rear hatch, or the door via handle, but was able to use the UNLOCK button. And the car started normally.. So of course, my first thought was "battery getting weak" .
The location was a golf course parking lot, wide open, not a lot of electrical noise, and no prior issues in the same parking spot
We bought our Accent Limited with push button start last September, I am the primary driver and my FOB battery died last week. My wife's FOB battery died yesterday, so based on my experience, the original battery lasts about a year regardless of usage.

In both cases we got an error message on the Combi Meter when trying to start the car that no FOB was detected. I was able to start the Accent by holding the FOB close to the Start button which then turned green.

·
Registered
567 Posts
We bought our Accent Limited with push button start last September, I am the primary driver and my FOB battery died last week. My wife's FOB battery died yesterday, so based on my experience, the original battery lasts about a year regardless of usage.

In both cases we got an error message on the Combi Meter when trying to start the car that no FOB was detected. I was able to start the Accent by holding the FOB close to the Start button which then turned green.
I've always kept a spare battery in the glove compartment on all my vehicles. They are cheap and probably the most common button size battery.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
the original battery lasts about a year regardless of usage.
I’m at about 14 months with the fob battery still doing well. It does get used often. My wife’s doesn’t use hers very often and it is also doing well. Li-ion batteries don’t like certain condition such as heat and really don’t have much capacity to begin with. It doesn’t take much to drain them under the
Text Font Line Number Design
wrong conditions.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Guess I should have started counting from the build date, which would put ours at just over 14 months.

Reactions: kathytn
1 - 10 of 10 Posts