Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
future digital strategies in the auto industry

This goes way beyond concerns with the spreading of diseases. I think the auto industry similar to many other industries are actually starting to implement a more robust digital experience. This is something that has been talked about for decades when the prospects of remote meetings first became available. I think the problem early on was the technology was not up the task. Remote meetings will never take the place of person to person but it will increasingly supplement them. As digital interactions and broadband technology become more readily available and user friendly, the auto industry will take advantage of it to offer up additional services, increase convenience and add in sophistication that has not existed up to now.

What was the point of requesting an appointment on-line only to have a rep call you or go back and forth via email to set an appointment? What is the point of having a PDF file emailed only to have to physically sign it, scan it and email it back when the technology has existed for years to digitally sign the document for it to become an accepted legal contract?

My hope is that the trend of having all the dealerships use the same foundational website format is thrown in the waste basket. I hate it. There is no uniqueness to differentiate any dealership from another. I simply do not feel connected through that experience. It has seemed the dealerships have to date gone the easy route to purchase these canned template websites. IMO, it does not serve them well. These websites offer little additional content value to entice me to come back.

There is a large business opportunity for some creative website designer.

B_ R _ _G

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
One interesting problem for the brand are the dealers with their own sites and incorrect information. For instance, I've had to correct people's misperceptions on wireless Android Auto and Carplay for the 2019+ Ascent, and 2018+ OB, because of a dealer and their site.

On the other hand, I do like some of the dealer created content.

But, I like Subaru's integrated parts website. And ordering a car is much easier.

Hmmmm

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One interesting problem for the brand are the dealers with their own sites and incorrect information. For instance, I've had to correct people's misperceptions on wireless Android Auto and Carplay for the 2019+ Ascent, and 2018+ OB, because of a dealer and their site.

On the other hand, I do like some of the dealer created content.

But, I like Subaru's integrated parts website. And ordering a car is much easier.

Hmmmm
it is getting there. Even with accurate info, AA and Carplay has been confusing to many for a long time. Add into the mix the "Starlink" confusion and it has been an increased challenge to navigate.

It seems that owners expect that their experience in the car should reflect their experience at home. It does not of course, at least not yet. Part of the problem is that the manufacturers have built up expectations such as the notion of cars that will drive themselves just around the horizon and they use terms and phrases that can be easily misunderstood (I believe at times deliberately so). It almost becomes a Rorschach test, when owners fill in their best notion of what is offered. Owners really have to dig into the details to know what to realistically expect and how it all works. Our expectations for what our vehicles should do has gone through the roof. They are no longer simply conveyances of transportation.

This is why the forum is so valuable. I came to the forum many months prior to my purchase not only to help with the initial purchase decision but to understand the vehicle and to adjust my expectations. I garnered information that simply was not available anywhere else.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Right, but in this case, the incorrect information was on a dealership's custom site, and as of 3 weeks ago, still was.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, but in this case, the incorrect information was on a dealership's custom site, and as of 3 weeks ago, still was.
That is probably because they simply added the website content responsiblity to an existing staff person who had no real expertise in managing a site. This proves the point of my prior posts that many dealerships do not take their digital responsibility seriously. They are very reluctant participants and it often shows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.