Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally found a review that's not the most stellar. OTOH, I am honestly not sure what the heck car she drove.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2019-...o-does-it-rise-to-the-occasion-1420700043243/

"The sole transmission is a continuously variable automatic. Its drone is loud and unrefined, and it takes a while to spool up power. A V-6 and any other transmission are unavailable."
Wow... it was neither loud, nor unrefined. My only complaint was that they made the automatic "gear changes" more subtle than the Outback's. You can feel the fake shifts, but they're luxury car like in subtly.

I found the transmission and car interior to definitely be rather quiet. Heck, there's tons of in-cabin test drive videos that prove it. It accelerated very well from any speed I managed to test it at, including up hills. I also experienced no lag, and, as others have said, it didn't even feel like a turbo. It felt like a nicely powered 6 cylinder.

And... V6? There's never been a V6 in a Subaru - and it's more powerful in every metric than the outgoing H6 3.6L.

---------------------------------

REGARDLESS:
Has anyone else had a different experience? Was it the car they were driving? Perhaps I missed something?

·
Registered
224 Posts
The reviewer states in her bio that "She wears a lot of hats, many of them while driving a minivan." That likely means she is (maybe unintentionally) biased towards minivans.

I also found the following quote when Cars.com chose the Nissan Rogue(!) as 2017 Family Car of the Year, “Flexibility is key when it comes to managing family life – and from road trips to school carpools, the Rogue is ready … versatile, affordable and efficient.”

This all leads me to believe that the reviewer is more focused on interior refinement and other aspects and not necessarily an expert regarding drivetrain prowess or handling dynamics. That being said, people all have different tastes. A few of her comments here are definitely outside of virtually every other persons opinions however.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...not necessarily an expert regarding drivetrain prowess or handling dynamics. That being said, people all have different tastes. A few of her comments here are definitely outside of virtually every other persons opinions however.

Hoping it stays that way. I only spent 55 minutes driving two vehicles. Some of the reviewers had a few days with a car. So, I am hoping my experiences are the norm. But, as you said, almost everyone else is having a different experience than hers, so, that makes me feel good.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'd also disagree with her comments based on the couple demo's I've done. Granted they were in Touring trim and it looks like she demo'd a premium. Is there any more added sound insulation on upper trims that would cause this disparity?

I'm planning to drive it again next week so I'll pay more attention to CVT whine and cabin noise but the last 2 I drove were both very quiet - even coming from a '15 Outback which is extremely quiet compared to my '18 WRX which is by far more quiet than my '15 WRX. It's all subjective too at a certain point. If she came from something like Mercedes or Lincoln it may seem a lot louder compared to those vehicles? Who knows.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd also disagree with her comments based on the couple demo's I've done. Granted they were in Touring trim and it looks like she demo'd a premium. Is there any more added sound insulation on upper trims that would cause this disparity?
Fortunately not. Also, anecdotally, I drove Limiteds both times.

I'm planning to drive it again next week so I'll pay more attention to CVT whine and cabin noise but the last 2 I drove were both very quiet - even coming from a '15 Outback which is extremely quiet compared to my '18 WRX which is by far more quiet than my '15 WRX. It's all subjective too at a certain point. If she came from something like Mercedes or Lincoln it may seem a lot louder compared to those vehicles? Who knows.
True.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've seen a couple of reviews (including this one) where they said the Ascent was relatively loud on the road with wind noise, whereas other reviewers raved about how quiet it is. Based on the conflicting reviews, I'm moderating my expectations and won't expect it to be a luxury SUV in terms of noise.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I test drove Pilot right after Ascent on the same day. In my opinion Pilot was quieter ride.At this point I'll wait when Ascent is available at dealers and do more demo rides.
As per my understanding Honda makes good transmission and Pilot has 8 speed and may be thats why you felt little quieter.
But, did you drive the AWD Pilot or 2WD? just curious...

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Touring 2019
143 Posts
As per my understanding Honda makes good transmission and Pilot has 8 speed and may be thats why you felt little quieter.
But, did you drive the AWD Pilot or 2WD? just curious...
I test drove Pilot EX-L (6 spd) and Elite (9 spd). Both AWD. Taking Ascent up the hill I could clearly hear CVT working harder. It remained me about my 2011 Legacy my son is driving now.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Her review on Youtube was basically the same as well. I forget and I don't want to watch it again, but I remember she said a few inaccurate things. The only good thing was they demoed the spill resistant seats.

I also can't remember which pre-production review that came out that basically said the Ascent lacked power to pass on the highway and I felt like she nearly quoted that article.

It may have been this one: Exclusive 2019 Subaru Ascent Prototype First Drive: Biggest Subie Ever - Motor Trend

I don't agree with the things she said but again as mentioned above... she may just have a bias or different perspective.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I test drove Pilot EX-L (6 spd) and Elite (9 spd). Both AWD. Taking Ascent up the hill I could clearly hear CVT working harder. It remained me about my 2011 Legacy my son is driving now.
Thats odd because this is Subaru's latest HDCVT and it should not sound or feel like the first gen CVT in the Legacy.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats odd because this is Subaru's latest HDCVT and it should not sound or feel like the first gen CVT in the Legacy.
The only similarity I found is how it will forego fake shifting if you floor it up a hill. In a way, that's a similar feeling that's easy to notice.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Anyone else wish there was no fake shifting? It's a CVT it should be smooth, that's the whole point.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
224 Posts
Anyone else wish there was no fake shifting? It's a CVT it should be smooth, that's the whole point.
This has been discussed elsewhere, and many of us agree. However, the Ascent's "shifts" under normal operation (that many of us have experienced during test drives) are extremely smooth and virtually imperceptible. It does not feel jerky like some standard automatic transmissions.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This has been discussed elsewhere, and many of us agree. However, the Ascent's "shifts" under normal operation (that many of us have experienced during test drives) are extremely smooth and virtually imperceptible. It does not feel jerky like some standard automatic transmissions.
Yep, it's very subtle, like a luxury smooth shift automatic, when it deigns to fake shift at all. I experienced zero fake shifting when accelerating up a hill.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I’ve seen a couple of bad reviews oddy they were both women and one repeatedly from the get go in almost a bitter manner explained she was solo no kids no family etc. Her review was utterly useless as in not worth the storage space the video takes up. I also found the cars.com review to be garbage also and not because of her opinion but because of her lacking critical eye.

·
Registered
965 Posts
So, I finally found a review that's not the most stellar. OTOH, I am honestly not sure what the heck car she drove.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2019-...o-does-it-rise-to-the-occasion-1420700043243/
it takes a while to spool up power.
Uh, really? Maybe if you're trying to go from 70 to 90. Sure didn't have any problems going from 20 to 50 in ANY of the cars I drove.

doesn't feel agile
38 foot turning radius - smallest of ANY of it's competitors, with no body roll. (We got to drive a new Pilot over the same parking lot course we took the Ascent around, so there was an immediate vehicle comparison available for us.)

but a touch loud in terms of road and wind noise
Compared to the inside of a luxury sedan, sure. Compared to what it's supposed to be going up against - the Pilot, Highlander, Atlas, and Explorer? Let's be serious here.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Uh, really? Maybe if you're trying to go from 70 to 90. Sure didn't have any problems going from 20 to 50 in ANY of the cars I drove.

38 foot turning radius - smallest of ANY of it's competitors, with no body roll. (We got to drive a new Pilot over the same parking lot course we took the Ascent around, so there was an immediate vehicle comparison available for us.)

Compared to the inside of a luxury sedan, sure. Compared to what it's supposed to be going up against - the Pilot, Highlander, Atlas, and Explorer? Let's be serious here.
Carl's putting his foot down...I like it! :devil:

·
Registered
646 Posts
The new SGP is the best platform out there IMO. It has transformed Subaru's cars to become a lot more appealing in the dynamics department. Handling, quietness and connection to the road have taken a few steps forward IMO. Drive the last Impreza compared to the new ones and you will get the picture

·
Registered
685 Posts
I’ve seen a couple of bad reviews oddy they were both women and one repeatedly from the get go in almost a bitter manner explained she was solo no kids no family etc. Her review was utterly useless as in not worth the storage space the video takes up. I also found the cars.com review to be garbage also and not because of her opinion but because of her lacking critical eye.
I was going to comment the only bad reviews I have seen were given by women also. I didn't want to appear sexist. Every woman in my life (beside my Mum and Big Sister) has been worthless behind the wheel. Mum and Sis drive 3 pedal cars and are rock stars at the tiller. So, I think these reviews might be slanted by certain non-technical bias.

I am not a sexist, show me a woman who spanks me behind the wheel and I am in love.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts