Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we ordered the Ascent I thought I had ordered the towing package with it. Finally had a chance to open the panel for the hitch and it's just has a phone place holder.

This is what's showing on the window sticker. Does this just mean that it can toll 5,000 lb? Useless ..sigh

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
When we ordered the Ascent I thought I had ordered the towing package with it. Finally had a chance to open the panel for the hitch and it's just has a phone place holder.

This is what's showing on the window sticker. Does this just mean that it can toll 5,000 lb? Useless ..sigh

View attachment 4909 View attachment 4910
That's your bumper. It's metal with a foam impact pad that goes its full length.

Hitch installation is very very easy, if you want to DIY. You can message @Liberty Subaru here and tell them I sent you to get the hitch for around $300 (+/-) plus shipping and any applicable taxes. I've got links to PDF and video versions of the installation instructions on my website:

And, if you're near Albany, NY or Metro NYC (or feel like driving to either), talk to Dan at Liberty Subaru, or schedule with Goldstein's Subaru in Albany and tell them I sent you, to get the hitch installed for $528 plus tax (that's hitch and labor).

That'll just leave you the ball mount and brake controller to pick up.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's your bumper. It's metal with a foam impact pad that goes its full length.

Hitch installation is very very easy, if you want to DIY. You can message @Liberty Subaru here and tell them I sent you to get the hitch for around $300 (+/-) plus shipping and any applicable taxes. I've got links to PDF and video versions of the installation instructions on my website:

And, if you're near Albany, NY or Metro NYC (or feel like driving to either), talk to Dan at Liberty Subaru, or schedule with Goldstein's Subaru in Albany and tell them I sent you, to get the hitch installed for $528 plus tax (that's hitch and labor).

That'll just leave you the ball mount and brake controller to pick up.
Thanks Robert. I've done hitch installs before I know it's not too difficult but I should've asked correctly when ordering the vehicle. It's just another hassle for me with no time at the moment. But I don't plan to tow anytime soon it's just a nice to have "in case" the need comes up.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks Robert. I've done hitch installs before I know it's not too difficult but I should've asked correctly when ordering the vehicle. It's just another hassle for me with no time at the moment. But I don't plan to tow anytime soon it's just a nice to have "in case" the need comes up.
You can always order it and have installed when you are having service done, its a few hours install time. And if the dealer does it, the hitch is covered by your warranty.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can always order it and have installed when you are having service done, its a few hours install time. And if the dealer does it, the hitch is covered by your warranty.
I'll ask the wife if that's a go, I sold my Toyota Tundra so... This would be the only capable towing vehicle we have left, but without a hitch. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,907 Posts
Premium, Limited and Touring all have 5000 lb towing capacity...once you add the hitch receiver. :) That accessory isn't not shown on your window sticker, so it was not port-added and your photo clearly shows it's not installed. Do go with the OEM hitch receiver kit...it's well designed and includes the wiring harness connections for both 4 pin and 7 pin trailer electrical service.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Saw that on my window sticker as well,was happy until I pulled the cover off....DENIED! 😔

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Here is the question that has not been answered yet - what is included as part of the towing package to raise the tow rating from 2,000 lbs to 5,000 lbs. is it just a transmission cooler or something more?

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
Here is the question that has not been answered yet - what is included as part of the towing package to raise the tow rating from 2,000 lbs to 5,000 lbs. is it just a transmission cooler or something more?
The Base level Ascent doesn't have the cooling, etc, that's require for towing. Premium, Limited and Touring have all those accomodations "native" which is why adding the tow hitch receiver and wiring pigtails is all that is needed. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot "convert" a base Ascent to accommodate the higher towing capacity. Fortunately, very few Base Ascents get sold...so most buyers don't have to worry about this.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The Base level Ascent doesn't have the cooling, etc, that's require for towing. Premium, Limited and Touring have all those accomodations "native" which is why adding the tow hitch receiver and wiring pigtails is all that is needed. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot "convert" a base Ascent to accommodate the higher towing capacity. Fortunately, very few Base Ascents get sold...so most buyers don't have to worry about this.
I know that part of the higher rating has to do with how the hitch is attached, but wonder if the lower rated Ascents not only do not have the cooling but provide for a different attachment?

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
I don't believe there's any difference in how the hitch receiver is attached...the Base Ascent is constructed the same way as the three higher trim. The capacity difference is not about the hitch receiver...it's the way things are missing from the systems that are necessary to tow at the higher rating without burning things up. The Base Ascent trim is all about keeping cost down for a, well...basic...vehicle with basic features.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.