Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12-16 mpg is bad enough. I put $50 in gas in the car every 2-3 days. Expecting 400 miles per tank, I get closer to 250. Well, that's just a biog car you say. My Porsche Cayenne S did better!!!

Also, the radio and heating/cooling. Subaru, in their infinite wisdom, decided the radio needs to be on all the darn time. You don't really turn it off, you just mute it. Plug in your phone to charge and -- music. Unplug your phone and music again. And trying to turn the radio off while backing out of the driveway doesn't work. I need to hit the button 3-5 times.

And no matter what you set the HVAC to, the next time you start it's not set to 65F, medium air. No matter what you had it set to before. It does not remember. It does not care.

I called Subaru and they said yes they have had numerous complains and a firmware update will give us control of our car once again.

Took it in today for 30k service. No firmware update. Used 1/4 tank just to get to the dealer. Enough.

Traded it in for a 2013 Impreza. Manual controls. I miss the ground clearance but not the horrible mileage and technical drama.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I definitely agree. I hate that the A/C always reverts back to whatever Subaru said, Hate that the radio plays when I don't want it to. When you turn a radio off it should be OFF!!! But the funny part about mileage, when I first got the car I got 30 mpg on highway. Now I am lucky if I get 25-26 on highway and 19 around town. Not to mention I had a defective windshield and front driver/passenger windows. Took me 8 months to get them to replace the windows. Now my stupid windshield has a crack in it! I am fed up! My heated steering wheel and seats weren't working correctly. They replaced a switch and now the steering wheel heating is not working at all!!!! The seats are as hard as a rock. Sorry I bought this vehicle but now I am stuck with basically a lemon!

·
Registered
203 Posts
What's the problem you guys are seeing with the AC? Mine comes on at whatever I last set it at, unless I Starlink-remote-started it, in which case it comes on to the app settings.

The radio thing doesn't affect me, but I can see how it would bug others. (I listen to AM radio, and when I back into my garage, the signal goes all fuzzball anyway, so I turn down my radio volume before turning off the car.)

F.S.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I’ve never turned the radio off, in any car. I just turn the volume down. That way when I want to listen to music, I don’t have to wait for the radio to turn on—it comes on instantly with the volume control.

I don’t think I’m seeing that issue with the AC either.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I’ll have to keep an eye on some of these things.

I did lose all my radio presets when my wife drives. I almost think it’s connected to the seat settings, because it happens everytime my wife drives. But it doesn’t come back when I push my designated seat setting button.

·
Registered
404 Posts
12-16 mpg is bad enough. I put $50 in gas in the car every 2-3 days. Expecting 400 miles per tank, I get closer to 250. Well, that's just a biog car you say. My Porsche Cayenne S did better!!!

Also, the radio and heating/cooling. Subaru, in their infinite wisdom, decided the radio needs to be on all the darn time. You don't really turn it off, you just mute it. Plug in your phone to charge and -- music. Unplug your phone and music again. And trying to turn the radio off while backing out of the driveway doesn't work. I need to hit the button 3-5 times.

And no matter what you set the HVAC to, the next time you start it's not set to 65F, medium air. No matter what you had it set to before. It does not remember. It does not care.

I called Subaru and they said yes they have had numerous complains and a firmware update will give us control of our car once again.

Took it in today for 30k service. No firmware update. Used 1/4 tank just to get to the dealer. Enough.

Traded it in for a 2013 Impreza. Manual controls. I miss the ground clearance but not the horrible mileage and technical drama.
Perhaps reading the manual to start with might help. The radio WILL turn off - IF you turn it off. Pressing the volume button only mutes it and it will come on - next start up. Press if for 3 seconds and you have turned it off and it will not come back on at start-up. Or, press and hold it for 10 seconds and it will reboot the whole system.
No problem here with the AC temp setting. But, as per the manual and with any car, you are suppose to turn it off - it should not be on at start-up.

There was a 3rd Software/Firmware update since I purchased my Ascent that came out on August 19th. Have you not been reading posts here or checked your website-it will tell you if there is an update for your particular vehicle: https://subaru-maps.com/#/auth/sign-in

Re mileage - it's all on how and where you drive. Do you use remote start? Do you sit in the car and fiddle with the buttons? Right now, on my current tank I'm at 17 mpg, but "since purchase", I'm at 22 mpg. City driving stinks, I really make it up on the interstates (25-28 mpg). As some others have mentioned - try driving in the "granny mode" and see the MPG really climb!!!

And....just as an FYI, for the radio I have one of my Presets as Channel "0" - which is the Radio ID. It is silent. I just press that rather than hitting/holding the volume button. Then just hit one of your presets to get a station.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My Porsche Cayenne S did better!!!

I will admit that I've read about sufficient Ascent issues here to give me second thoughts.

With all due respect: since you write about your Porsche in the past tense, why did you give it up? Gas mileage? Was it replaced by the Ascent?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2019 Red Premier (up in Canada here the Premier is the top trim level). Purchased 3 weeks ago, driven daily with no issues. Been on a few forums for different brands and the common complaints seem to be:

1. Catastrophic failures
2. Material damage.
3. Minor aggravations
4. Lousy mileage.

What have leaned over the past 30 years of used/new car ownership? To remedy any of the above 4 complaints:

1. Wait to till you come to a complete reverse stop before engaging drive and your tranny won’t explode.
2. Regularly wash your car and check around for leaks and loose stuff. Do the required maintenance . Don’t wait. Don’t cheap out on fluids and components. I use Shell Premium (no ethanol) and Amsoil Signature.
3. Read your goddamn instruction manual! Do some research about how your car actually works!!
4. Drive slow and easy. No jackrabbit starts, panic stops. Don’t speed. You’ll get awesome mileage. Trust me.

All this noise about exploding engines and CVTs is just that: noise and outliers.

Treat ANY new vehicle with care and you’ve drastically increased your odds of avoiding a lemon.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[QUOTE="astcell, post: 115397, member: 3673"

[/QUOTE]

You traded a 2019 Ascent for a used 2013 Impreza? Subaru's largest vehicle for it's most tiny? And a 7 year old one at that? Really? Were you paying off debts with the 25K +/- check they had to have given you with the Impreza? Sounds a bit fishy. Maybe just to me...

·
Registered
190 Posts
[QUOTE="astcell, post: 115397, member: 3673"

You traded a 2019 Ascent for a used 2013 Impreza? Subaru's largest, newest, most comfortable and utilitarian vehicle for it's most tiny & basic? And a 7-year-old one at that? Really? And you're a former Porsche Cayenne S owner? Were you needing to pay off debts with the 25K +/- check they had to have given you with the Impreza? That's the only way this seems to make sense? Sounds a bit fishy. Maybe just to me...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Perhaps reading the manual to start with might help. The radio WILL turn off - IF you turn it off. Pressing the volume button only mutes it and it will come on - next start up. Press if for 3 seconds and you have turned it off and it will not come back on at start-up. Or, press and hold it for 10 seconds and it will reboot the whole system.
No problem here with the AC temp setting. But, as per the manual and with any car, you are suppose to turn it off - it should not be on at start-up.

There was a 3rd Software/Firmware update since I purchased my Ascent that came out on August 19th. Have you not been reading posts here or checked your website-it will tell you if there is an update for your particular vehicle: https://subaru-maps.com/#/auth/sign-in

Re mileage - it's all on how and where you drive. Do you use remote start? Do you sit in the car and fiddle with the buttons? Right now, on my current tank I'm at 17 mpg, but "since purchase", I'm at 22 mpg. City driving stinks, I really make it up on the interstates (25-28 mpg). As some others have mentioned - try driving in the "granny mode" and see the MPG really climb!!!

And....just as an FYI, for the radio I have one of my Presets as Channel "0" - which is the Radio ID. It is silent. I just press that rather than hitting/holding the volume button. Then just hit one of your presets to get a station.
Which firmware update are you referring to?
Had my AC fixed once at 1000 miles, just noticed it is not running cool at 4000 miles.
Also, my around town mpg is only about 11-13, and the service dept told me the opposite...to accelerate after a stop and the turbo engine would give me better mileage. So far its not been a big help.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Which firmware update are you referring to?
Had my AC fixed once at 1000 miles, just noticed it is not running cool at 4000 miles.
Also, my around town mpg is only about 11-13, and the service dept told me the opposite...to accelerate after a stop and the turbo engine would give me better mileage. So far its not been a big help.
I would change dealerships.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think the original poster has already moved on. I do understand some of his/her frustrations, I'm still struggling with terrible gas mileage, and suspect build quality, even though I'm super easy on the car. Whatever the reasons were for getting rid of the Porsche, (s)he got rid of it.

I wanted something a little more anonymous and reliable (although the GL had zero issues up to 7x,000 miles, when I got rid of it, I kept waiting for something big to happen!! But I also traded it while it was under warranty and worth something) than my gls450, I definitely got the anonymity, but I didn't get the reliability, or gas mileage. That's just the way it is. I don't hate the car, and I'm not going to be trading it in, although it may go to my son in a few months when he gets his license.

But let's be easy on this person, they bought a new car with a set of expectations, in this particular case it didn't meet those expectations and (s)he has moved on. it's a hard financial hit trading in a car, even one that holds its value well like a Subaru, so in the case of the original poster, it must have been more trouble than it was worth. Sometimes that happens.

Hopefully their 'new' ride will provide a more trouble free experience. I think this person has been a board member for a while, I don't think they were a spammer, and definitely not a fanboy, just somebody who had a lot of problems.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What are you people doing to get mileage that horrible? I got 15mpg towing 4,000 lbs through the mountains this weekend! (That includes the 45 minutes in traffic going 5mph).

·
Registered
225 Posts
thanks. You probably haven't seen all my posts, but I came from a twin-turbo V8 gls450 that got better gas mileage than this. I'm really inclined to think it's not my driving. my MKZ exceeds the mileage ratings. My Corvette exceeds the mileage ratings. This one doesn't even come close. I coast to stops, and I'm constantly watching the consumption meter. I've never had to do this with any car to get near the mileage ratings before.

·
Super Moderator
4,548 Posts
thanks. You probably haven't seen all my posts, but I came from a twin-turbo V8 gls450 that got better gas mileage than this. I'm really inclined to think it's not my driving. my MKZ exceeds the mileage ratings. My Corvette exceeds the mileage ratings. This one doesn't even come close. I coast to stops, and I'm constantly watching the consumption meter. I've never had to do this with any car to get near the mileage ratings before.
The Ascent puts 277 lb-ft of torque out of a small engine. It is a flat torque band from 2,000 rpm to 4,800 rpm.

Alas, it thus spools early and spools quickly.

Driving it thus results in different performance characteristics than that of other turbo engines, especially than over much larger ones.

It's pretty easy to be boosting almost all the time.

OTOH, it's pretty easy to mostly avoid it, or so I've found.

I got about 12.8 mpg towing the 8.5 foot tall, fully loaded, 3 tanks full Heartland Edge M18 this past weekend. I get rated when I want. I get 21ish most of the time, because I knowingly boost a lot.

That aside, some people will always get horrible gas mileage. I know people who live in NYC, for instance, and they get horrible gas mileage. NYC driving is NOT the EPA's idea of city driving.

If one does not fall into or above this criteria, they will not get rated gas mileage... not because there's something wrong or mis-stated about the Ascent, but because they are not in the range of the EPA tests.

Here's a peek at the city tests... visit the link above to see the whole test.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That aside, some people will always get horrible gas mileage. I know people who live in NYC, for instance, and they get horrible gas mileage. NYC driving is NOT the EPA's idea of city driving.
This couldn't be more true. i went from 10 MPG on my previous vehicle to 19 MPG after moving from NYC to rural Northern California.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
About this Discussion
102 Replies
50 Participants
BoxerRules
Subaru Ascent Forum
Ascent Forums, The Largest 2017 and newer Subaru Ascent community & owners club. Tech discussions, turbo & tuning and more.
Full Forum Listing