Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This new video is just a summary of the IIHS crash test ratings, the newest being the 2020 Ford Explorer that didn't get a top safety pick and was probably the reason for this video.

TFL Video

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Never mind I'm dumb...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Great news for the Ascent. The Ascent was able to avoid a crash at 25 mph, which no other vehicle on the list was able to do. The Telluride and the Palisade were right behind the Ascent in crash ratings. Keep up the competition.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Great news for the Ascent. The Ascent was able to avoid a crash at 25 mph, which no other vehicle on the list was able to do. The Telluride and the Palisade were right behind the Ascent in crash ratings. Keep up the competition.

It's great to see Subaru keeping up with improvements to Eyesight to keep scoring so well on pre collision braking and pedestrian detection and braking.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Why do you say this? Looks like every car number 8 and up either avoided the 25 MPH collision or "impact speed was reduced by 24 mph."

Could we be seeing different things? The link I used has
1. Ascent
2. Palisade
3. Sorento
4. CX-9
5. Tuguan
6. Telluride

·
Registered
270 Posts
Why do you say this? Looks like every car number 8 and up either avoided the 25 MPH collision or "impact speed was reduced by 24 mph."
Nevermind- I hadn't heard them say it's the only one to "completely avoid" the 25 mph obstacle. Not sure what that means.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
EDIT: FIXED MATH TYPO

Nevermind- I hadn't heard them say it's the only one to "completely avoid" the 25 mph obstacle. Not sure what that means.
It means that the rest hit, and the speed difference indicates the impact speed.

So, if a car rated 20mph, it means it dropped 20 of 25 mph, and impacted the target at 5mph.

"Completely avoided" means it stopped without impact.

Subies generally manage 30-35 mph, so, 25 mph isn't a surprise.

The reduction speed never exceeds the test speed, since the test is to see how much of the test run speed is dropped. That number varies from zero mph (BMW, pedestrian tests, full speed impact with no speed reduction) to the maximum speed of the test (in this case, 25mph).

The test does not indicate whether or not the Ascent can do better (achieve higher speed full stops without collision) because it does not test for higher speeds. But it does indicate that the other brands would not pass, since they hit the obstacle at 25 mph.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It means that the rest hit, and the speed difference indicates the impact speed.

So, if a car rated 20mph, it means it dropped 20 of 25 mph, and impacted the target at 25mph. "Completely avoided" means it stopped without impact.
I'm not saying you are wrong, just wondering why several slides they show in the video (for example, at the 9:36 mark for the Mazda) say "In the 25 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision."

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I'm not saying you are wrong, just wondering why several slides they show in the video (for example, at the 9:36 mark for the Mazda) say "In the 25 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision."
In both 12mph and 25mph, the CX9 avoided, but it does not meet forward collision warning requirements.

The Ascent does, as many of us who've heard the persistent beeps and seen the numerous LED flashes can attest to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.