Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had to get away and had a three day weekend in the Texas Hill Country. We explored the back roads In our Ascent and had a great time. We found dirt roads, longhorns, cows in the road, windmills, water crossings, rivers, streams, wildlife, and more.

We saw groups of Jeeps and one group of Subies. We talked for a few moments at a stop sign but I did not get to find out anything about the Subie group. Would be fun to join them sometime. If anyone knows who they are let me know.

Some pics.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We went down many roads exploring the area most of the water crossings were on 315 and James River Road. The bigger ones were Sandy Creek and the Llano River.

Looking at the map I was just a little to the west of Pedernales Falls. It looks like a great place to explore. What roads are the best to explore in that area?

·
Registered
377 Posts
We went down many roads exploring the area most of the water crossings were on 315 and James River Road. The bigger ones were Sandy Creek and the Llano River.

Looking at the map I was just a little to the west of Pedernales Falls. It looks like a great place to explore. What roads are the best to explore in that area?
Go drive Devil's Backbone. Kind of south of Wimberly and north of Canyon Lake. I think it is Ranch Road 32? If you're coming out of Llano take 281 south to Blanco and pickup RR 32 going east.

Fitzhugh Rd(FM 2766?) is another one in that area.

I'm 20 years removed from living in Drippin' Springs so I have no idea at this point what traffic is like out that way with the explosion of growth out 290W.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the ideas. Now I want to make another trip to the area. Keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just had to get away and had a three day weekend in the Texas Hill Country. We explored the back roads In our Ascent and had a great time. We found dirt roads, longhorns, cows in the road, windmills, water crossings, rivers, streams, wildlife, and more.

We saw groups of Jeeps and one group of Subies. We talked for a few moments at a stop sign but I did not get to find out anything about the Subie group. Would be fun to join them sometime. If anyone knows who they are let me know.

Some pics.

View attachment 4080 View attachment 4081 View attachment 4082
Thanks for the ideas. Now I want to make another trip to the area. Keep the ideas coming.
i just joined the forum and reading about your James River ride. The group of Subie’s you saw was most likely
Mtnroo Texas. We try to have monthly meets if possible. We frequent Hidden Falls as well. If you haven’t joined yet, join on fb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts