Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had a chance to test the paddle shifters out?

While driving home last weekend from Winter Park, I was using the 'manual' mode in the wife's Infiniti coming down Berthoud Pass to save on the brakes. Got me thinking about the Ascent. I'm curious if they work like they should coming down a step incline, especially being paired to a CVT. You know...RPM's go up, vehicle speed goes down, brakes stay cool.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Feels real

While driving home last weekend from Winter Park, I was using the 'manual' mode in the wife's Infiniti coming down Berthoud Pass to save on the brakes. Got me thinking about the Ascent. I'm curious if they work like they should coming down a step incline, especially being paired to a CVT. You know...RPM's go up, vehicle speed goes down, brakes stay cool.
It makes it work very much like a real automatic multi-geared transmission. Under most circumstances, you'll see a max of 7 available gears that all respond just like a real 7 speed automatic transmission would, including with lower gear lockout (eg: at 70mph, you aren't downshifting to first - it won't let you, just like any modern automatic). I've never felt a CVT that felt so real. Even shifting back and forth from "R" to "D" or Park to anything is a LOT quicker than any other CVT I've tried (and rivals automatics).

If by some chance, you go really fast, it will let you shift into "8th" "gear". :tango_face_wink: :grin:

Anyways, yes, it feels just like any other real fancy-car-soft-shift automatic, including the engine and transmission drag to do engine braking by switching through the gears. Keep in mind that while you have a lot of power in that engine, you do NOT have the drag of a V8 or V6 (because it's not). That's where all that power from the turbo has little effect. So, your "engine braking" feeling will be limited to what you'd expect from any other automatic mated to a 4 cylinder. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
having only driven a loaner while test driving a few weeks ago, i put it in manual mode, and it's amazing really. it's fun. great for going up hill or passing. I didn't have the chance to take it on the highway or any hilly areas. I suspect I will use the crap out of it.

·
Registered
275 Posts

My dealer told me not to use the paddle shifters for the first 1,000 miles. Anyone ever heard of that? But anyway, I read in the manual, to not let the RPM's get too high (I think it was 5,000) while you are breaking in the car. So when you downshift while going downhill, make sure the RPM's don't go too high.

·
Registered
978 Posts

For down hill stuff I found that is the most common time I use this on my OB you don’t need to select manual mode. Just flick the paddles it will hold the set ratio till you apply some throttle then it will revert back to auto mode.

I find the only time I actually shift to manual mode is when I’m off road, pulling my boat up a boat ramp, heavy snowed in parking lot, or really long steep road climb where a set ratio hold lets me run the engine at a steady rpm etc. Most climbs Sierras etc I find auto mode is best and simple down hill paddle flick lets me manage speed without even bothering with shifting to manual mode.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use my Adaptive Cruise Control to control speed on downhills. Just select your speed up or down on the steering wheel, and it will use both engine braking and brakes to keep it at that speed. Plus it will slow down and follow a slower car that you may catch up to. Works very well.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My dealer told me not to use the paddle shifters for the first 1,000 miles. Anyone ever heard of that? But anyway, I read in the manual, to not let the RPM's get too high (I think it was 5,000) while you are breaking in the car. So when you downshift while going downhill, make sure the RPM's don't go too high.
Its a very wise suggestion given you can easily exceed the 4000rpm range which breakin time first 1000-1500 miles Subaru likes to see it stay under 4000rpm.

The whole purpose of the breakin period is to get all the moving parts worked in with a limited exposure to high rpms and loads that can heat up parts that are still settling in.

I follow the owners manual and have never had issues and once past the breakin our Subaru gets treated like a farm truck.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use my Adaptive Cruise Control to control speed on downhills. Just select your speed up or down on the steering wheel, and it will use both engine braking and brakes to keep it at that speed. Plus it will slow down and follow a slower car that you may catch up to. Works very well.
Potentially awesome suggettion. It never occurred to me to let the adaptive cruise control my decent. Though I would still prefer more engine braking then pads. I know this works on other cars to a certain degree, but can the Ascent do it on higher, long terms grades?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Potentially awesome suggettion. It never occurred to me to let the adaptive cruise control my decent. Though I would still prefer more engine braking then pads. I know this works on other cars to a certain degree, but can the Ascent do it on higher, long terms grades?
Yup, and it works extremely well. Give it a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts