Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If we get it It would my 7th Subaru took my wife and friend for the test drive and it was very smooth.. What I have now is a '04 Nissan Armada which just died not too long ago (thank god) the 11 MPG was killing me.. I gotta say the ride was smooth I tried to get my mom to ride along but shes still stuck on the Tribeca the ride quality was so much smoother.

One thing I noticed maybe it's just because it's new is the controls for the display above the head unit it seemed a bit confusing on the display showing the car frame and the tires.. is this showing power going to all wheels? I noticed the front tires moved along with the steering wheels.

I didn't get to fully try out eyesight but I noticed (well I fumbled my way to the car display) in the center and I noticed it shows you when the rear brake lights are on as well. Sometimes the HUD would show two orange lights when I assumed it detected a car in front? My wife was sold

Since this is my first time buying new is it normal for the dealership to ask for (in my case) $1000 down to go look for the car since the option we wanted in the trim level (moonroof package in grey) they did not have on the lot

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
The center top display has multiple screens that show a variety of things on higher trim levels, some are user selectable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The center top display has multiple screens that show a variety of things , some are user selectable.
Yeah that part I got but I'm not sure what that one screen was about.. also for the weather and the sunset is that from my phone when connected with apple carplay or built in from the car?

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Weather is from SXM. I'd have to go dive into my vehicle to try and identify which display you're referring to as I keep mine set to the fuel economy display 99% of the time.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,126 Posts
Since this is my first time buying new is it normal for the dealership to ask for (in my case) $1000 down to go look for the car since the option we wanted in the trim level (moonroof package in grey) they did not have on the lot
Since all the dealer's have online presence, I prefer to find what I'm looking for myself. Always have more negotiation power with the dealer who has the inventory. Dealers usually add transfer expenses and transport when inventory needs to get brought in.

If you choose to give them a deposit, write in big print, fully refundable for any reason at the buyer's discretion. Then have it signed by the sales manager before you counter-sign or hand over any payment.

Good luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When a dealer insists in a deposit, the message is they’re not cerain of their offer price and are afraid that you will shop the offer around. I never leave a deposit..... start to walk and it’s a good bet they will “waive” the deposit requirement.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We have never put a deposit down on any of our Subarus and 6 of the 7 Subarus we have bought have been factory ordered. Our dealer's attitude is "If you don't buy it we'll sell it to someone else."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weather is from SXM. I'd have to go dive into my vehicle to try and identify which display you're referring to as I keep mine set to the fuel economy display 99% of the time.
I've been trying to find the screen on google image search but I can't find that screen yet maybe later when I have a little time youtube might have a video up of it on that screen selection.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
If we get it It would my 7th Subaru took my wife and friend for the test drive and it was very smooth.. What I have now is a '04 Nissan Armada which just died not too long ago (thank god) the 11 MPG was killing me.. I gotta say the ride was smooth I tried to get my mom to ride along but shes still stuck on the Tribeca the ride quality was so much smoother.

One thing I noticed maybe it's just because it's new is the controls for the display above the head unit it seemed a bit confusing on the display showing the car frame and the tires.. is this showing power going to all wheels? I noticed the front tires moved along with the steering wheels.

I didn't get to fully try out eyesight but I noticed (well I fumbled my way to the car display) in the center and I noticed it shows you when the rear brake lights are on as well. Sometimes the HUD would show two orange lights when I assumed it detected a car in front? My wife was sold

dealers can ask for anything they want, but I would not do business with a dealer who asked for money up front. If they find a vehicle that is close to what you want then the negotiation would begin buy they already have reduced your leverage significantly. If you can, just order the vehicle through a dealer from the factory after negotiating your best deal. check out all the car buying tips here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dealers can ask for anything they want, but I would not do business with a dealer who asked for money up front. If they find a vehicle that is close to what you want then the negotiation would begin buy they already have reduced your leverage significantly. If you can, just order the vehicle through a dealer from the factory after negotiating your best deal. check out all the car buying tips here.
First he was like in order for me to find the car for you in the option you like and the color I need $1000 today then he went down to $500 I told him we will see.. kinda does not make much sense if thats the case if he keeps going lower why do I need to give a down payment?

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited. 2005 Forester.
25 Posts
I didn't think putting down a small deposit was a big deal at all. It takes work to get a trade and transport lined up with another dealer and it makes sense they would like some commitment before doing it.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
First he was like in order for me to find the car for you in the option you like and the color I need $1000 today then he went down to $500 I told him we will see.. kinda does not make much sense if thats the case if he keeps going lower why do I need to give a down payment?
Typical "old school car sales technique"...stand your ground. As Packout said, negotiate price first for "a vehicle in the model, trim and options package" you want and once there's an agreement on that, it's up to the dealer to come up with the goods. This is why I almost always factory order. The only one in recent times that was "off the lot" was the MY20 Forester Limited for Professor Dr. SWMBO and that was simply because they just happened to have the exact configuration including colors we wanted when we were ready to buy. Even then, it was price first and then find or order the vehicle.

Oh, I personally don't have an issue with a small deposit to show some level of commitment for a factory order or a dealer swap, but it's always going to be fully refundable.

Reactions: 1-3-2-4

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Walk away from this dealer and start your shopping online

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Walk away from this dealer and start your shopping online
I feel crazy by asking but shopping online for what other dealers?

Also me and my wife are trying to deside the package with the moonroof.. I wished it was not tied to the better audio system.. Is the upgraded audio that much better to cost almost $3k?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I feel crazy by asking but shopping online for what other dealers?

Also me and my wife are trying to deside the package with the moonroof.. I wished it was not tied to the better audio system.. Is the upgraded audio that much better to cost almost $3k?
first identify all dealers within your driving distance for a potential pickup of a vehicle. this might be 100-200 miles?. identify all your desired specifications that you want in the vehicle. You do not need to talk with any dealer to accomplish this task. There are plenty of internet resources for this. Use ALL the strategies identified in those videos I linked to above for when you contact each of those dealers via email or their digital contact page (I can not stress this enough). If you keep to those strategies you will end up with the lowest price for the vehicle with the features you want. Obviously there are some features that come as part of specific trim levels. There is nothing a dealer can do about that. If you are going to want a hitch, include the OEM hitch as part of the port installed (intalled on the manufacturing line).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always figured it was the Nav that was adding the big part of the cost? I’m in the same boat, like the moonroof, but can’t see paying almost 3000 extra for it

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
Stupid sales technique, once you’ve paid a deposit regardless of the fact that it’s refundable, you’re more likely to feel committed to a purchase. Say no thanks, give me a call when you get what I’m looking for in stock. If they find one at another dealer and are bringing it in for you, a deposit is reasonable.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium, Abyss Blue w/black interior
11 Posts
Stupid sales technique, once you’ve paid a deposit regardless of the fact that it’s refundable, you’re more likely to feel committed to a purchase. Say no thanks, give me a call when you get what I’m looking for in stock. If they find one at another dealer and are bringing it in for you, a deposit is reasonable.
The dealer I went to asked me to put down $500 deposit, but they were transferring and getting a car from another dealer and the exact car I wanted. So, I didn’t have a problem with it. They let me charge it and took my credit card info. What I found out later, they actually never put a deposit on it or charged it. I guess they just wanted me to feel more committed to buying it if they transferred the car, which I psychologically was.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.