Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Test drive impressions

6K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  pilot1226 
I was really turned off by the really poor AC performance of the CX9. Countless owners in warm climates have complained about it and we spend a good amount of time in Central Florida. I also felt the cabin felt smaller than the Ascent. I will say the CX9 delivers a lot of value for the money and the fit and fitness impressive.

I took the CX9 for a day....the dealership seemed to insist which was nice. It was the top trim model.

I have to say the interior quality was nice with comfortable seats. The leather and wood trim were beautiful and a nice audio system.

However at 6’ it took an effort not to hit my head on the sloping driver door jamb and the salesman cautioned me about that from the get go. I also found the front row cramped for a big person....ditto the second row. I just did not feel that row was as roomy as the Ascent.

The acceleration and torque from the Mazda turbo 4 was shocking right off the line. But under load I found that engine loud and unrefined even though a great performer.

The biggest issue with the Mazda (and tons of owners are complaining about this) is the anemic AC system. It was a hot Philly day and it just would not get cold enough. We spend a good amount of time at our home in Florida and this vehicle would never cut it down there. Even with tinting and a windshield screen vehicles get very hot.

I would put the CX-9 in the same class of value as the Ascent...you get a lot for the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.