Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Tekonsha Prodigy P3, based on recommendations from this group, and had it on hand.

Yesterday, Friday, April 12, I started to physically install that P3 brake controller into my Ascent Premium trim using the fusebox door method, as described in the “Ascent Trailer Brake controller - PIX” thread.
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/127-towing/3407-ascent-trailer-brake-controller-pix.html

The method is presented in FirstSubie’s post 16.
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...trailer-brake-controller-pix-2.html#post87445

I spent many hours trying to figure out how to get the P3 horizontal alignment and direction of travel alignment to be as noted on p. 4 of the P3 install instruction sheet.

Photo 1 below

When I could not find a place to attach a RedArc brake controller, I decided on the P3, but I had also looked at the Tekonsha P2 version.

I remembered, when checking out the P2 version, a different graphic regarding horizontal alignment and direction of travel alignment.

Photo 2 below

To ME, the units appear to be somewhat the same in function, but I could find no explanation from Tekonsha, or anywhere on the Internet, as to why the P2 is allowed + or - 20 degrees both in the horizontal alignment and direction of travel alignment, but there is no note about that on the P3 instruction sheet.

If someone knows where to locate, and would share that location with us, how ‘close’ the alignments need to be for the P3, I’d appreciate it.

I’m really not looking for anecdotal information, but something ‘official’ from Tekonsha, although anecdotal information could also be useful and valuable.

While reviewing the “PIX” thread, noted above, I realized that my horizontal alignment of the P3 might not be as good as I thought yesterday. I noticed that the unit is not parallel to the brake pedal horizontal lines in the first short video demonstrating my 1/4-turn latch in the latched position in post 35. That can be taken care of when I actually do the final mounting. I still have the wiring left to do.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...trailer-brake-controller-pix-4.html#post99229

Any help would be appreciated,
Ken

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
The unit can tilt up and down from front to back, but the centerline of the unit, front to back, must be parallel to the direction of travel for it to properly sense deceleration and deceleration rate for proportional control. The P3 I used in my Grand Cherokee had the screen tilted up so I could view it through the spokes of the steering wheel, for example. Not really pretty, but functional.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In installed my P3 in our prior Outback before swapping it to my Ridgeline. In both cases close enough seems to be working fine. No unexpected activation or failure to activate. Hope that’s helpful ?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
In installed my P3 in our prior Outback before swapping it to my Ridgeline. In both cases close enough seems to be working fine. No unexpected activation or failure to activate. Hope that’s helpful ?
Yes, there is a "little" wiggle room...as long as one gets as close to parallel with the direction of travel, things will work just fine.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I purchased a Tekonsha Prodigy P3, based on recommendations from this group, and had it on hand.

Yesterday, Friday, April 12, I started to physically install that P3 brake controller into my Ascent Premium trim using the fusebox door method, as described in the “Ascent Trailer Brake controller - PIX” thread.
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/127-towing/3407-ascent-trailer-brake-controller-pix.html

The method is presented in FirstSubie’s post 16.
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...trailer-brake-controller-pix-2.html#post87445

I spent many hours trying to figure out how to get the P3 horizontal alignment and direction of travel alignment to be as noted on p. 4 of the P3 install instruction sheet.

Photo 1 below

When I could not find a place to attach a RedArc brake controller, I decided on the P3, but I had also looked at the Tekonsha P2 version.

I remembered, when checking out the P2 version, a different graphic regarding horizontal alignment and direction of travel alignment.

Photo 2 below

To ME, the units appear to be somewhat the same in function, but I could find no explanation from Tekonsha, or anywhere on the Internet, as to why the P2 is allowed + or - 20 degrees both in the horizontal alignment and direction of travel alignment, but there is no note about that on the P3 instruction sheet.

If someone knows where to locate, and would share that location with us, how ‘close’ the alignments need to be for the P3, I’d appreciate it.

I’m really not looking for anecdotal information, but something ‘official’ from Tekonsha, although anecdotal information could also be useful and valuable.

While reviewing the “PIX” thread, noted above, I realized that my horizontal alignment of the P3 might not be as good as I thought yesterday. I noticed that the unit is not parallel to the brake pedal horizontal lines in the first short video demonstrating my 1/4-turn latch in the latched position in post 35. That can be taken care of when I actually do the final mounting. I still have the wiring left to do.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...trailer-brake-controller-pix-4.html#post99229

Any help would be appreciated,
Ken
I installed my P3 on the fuse cover using the detachable bracket, squared everything as best I could relative to the direction of travel and it has been working fine for me.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Did you do anything to keep the fusebox door from dropping down? Just curious.
It stays up on its own, but I think a trip down a bumpy road could possibly cause it to pop open. To prevent that from happening I always place a length of blue painters tape (about 8 inches long) across the top of the cover and extending a few inches on either side (given the location it's not noticeable at all). This has worked fine for me since when I'm not towing I remove both the controller and fuse cover with the mounted bracket, and put an unblemished cover back on. A fuse cover costs less than $5 at the dealership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts