Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 2020 Taxa Mantis and am picking up tomorrow morning. After a lot of debating about a good travel trailer that the wife and I, our 2 daughters and a dog can camp comfortably, with the option to camp remotely when we like, this option was perfect for us. Yes its pricey, yes it is infinitely customizable to suit your needs. Any way I will add more info if anyone is interested. Once the wallet recovers for a bit hoping to get some A/T tires next with the Eibach springs to take it out on some remote BLM sites.

Cheers!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Taxa has been on my radar since the Cricket came out around 10 years ago. The design/space use Garrett F. brought to the market with the Cricket can now be seen in many lightweight trailers.

With being able to park the Mantis in a home garage you'll recoup the cost difference before long.

There is supposedly a very active Taxa Facebook community which I can't confirm as I won't do Facebook.

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
SO looking forward to your feedback and pics!!! Alas, the closest dealership to me is well over 200 miles away, so I can't easily check one out.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,743 Posts
Wow...that's a pretty thoughtfully designed trailer with a lot of features in a compact and low to the ground configuration. I can see why an Ascent owner would enjoy towing one of these for sure! I'm not into camping, but I do see there's a dealer not all that far from where we live here in SE PA.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well sorry for the late response! Was camping for 4 days. : )

So obviously VERY excited about this trailer so I will try and calm down a bit in the post.

Felt really great behind the ascent, (dry weight ~2800lbs) I was worried about not having extended mirrors...not a problem. You could feel it back there around town but not really on the freeway. Pulled really great. The only thing I have been thinking about is this CURT ROCKERBALL to reduce all the jarring.

2. This trailer is legit. No it does not have a huge "normal at home" feeling to it, but there is almost no plastic in it all steel aluminum and a hell of a lot of rivets. Plus @2800lbs dry and the option to sleep 8 if needed nothing else comes close. Nothing to really wear out, nothing can get "damaged" to the interior. Thoughtfully designed and feels like a tank. It really showcases bringing the outdoors in.

3. If you want to drain your bank account, but have a trailer that is built to last, and easy to pull behind almost any Subaru, Taxa makes some amazing products.

Next projects is deciding between Eibach springs to get some A/T tires, or adding solar and front load bars to the Mantis.

Any other questions let me know! Happy to encourage any others on the fence, to just do it.

I will update after our trip from SoCal to Idaho for 10 days!

·
Registered
313 Posts
2. This trailer is legit. No it does not have a huge "normal at home" feeling to it, but there is almost no plastic in it all steel aluminum and a hell of a lot of rivets. Plus @2800lbs dry and the option to sleep 8 if needed nothing else comes close. Nothing to really wear out, nothing can get "damaged" to the interior. Thoughtfully designed and feels like a tank. It really showcases bringing the outdoors in.

3. If you want to drain your bank account, but have a trailer that is built to last, and easy to pull behind almost any Subaru, Taxa makes some amazing products.
These points are what I keep sticking on. I want most of whatever trailer I buy to be recyclable when it wears out. Leaving me with pretty much Taxa or Airstream.

The RV industry doesn't seemed to have embraced sustainability very much. The industry has some good lightweight materials in fiberglass and Adzel but neither are recycle friendly.

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
Usually, any jarring is due to looseness between the ball adapter and receiver. You might consider an anti-rattle device, such as:

I second that. Once I eliminated my hitch-to-receiver rattling, all the jarringness disappeared.

Well, almost. I also had to get the trailer brakes calibrated correctly. IIRC, you have the neat wireless brake controller (I'd love to see pics of that and learn how it hooks up and works), but the concept is the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts