Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're lovers of our 2015 Subaru Outback and we drive a ton but we need just a bit more room, although the Outback has amazing 2nd-row legroom compared to any other car in its class.

I sat in an Ascent and the 2nd row didn't feel like it had good leg room with a tall diver in front but the reviews say it does so I may have missed some adjustments or something.

So, I'm looking for some real world help. I'm 6'4, my wife is 5'10" and our twin boys are 6'4 (pushing 6'5). With a 6'4 driver is there good leg room for a tall passenger? We would only be looking at the captain seat option and the 3rd row is of no use to us so the second row can be all the way back. We also need 10-hour road trip comfort, not just soccer mom shuttling. And, yes, my teenagers love family road trips and we still have 3+ more years of them so it's worth the research.

I really wish they would make 3rd rows optional and give a larger 2nd row without it...but they haven't asked me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
We're lovers of our 2015 Subaru Outback and we drive a ton but we need just a bit more room, although the Outback has amazing 2nd-row legroom compared to any other car in its class.

I sat in an Ascent and the 2nd row didn't feel like it had good leg room with a tall diver in front but the reviews say it does so I may have missed some adjustments or something.

So, I'm looking for some real world help. I'm 6'4, my wife is 5'10" and our twin boys are 6'4 (pushing 6'5). With a 6'4 driver is there good leg room for a tall passenger? We would only be looking at the captain seat option and the 3rd row is of no use to us so the second row can be all the way back. We also need 10-hour road trip comfort, not just soccer mom shuttling. And, yes, my teenagers love family road trips and we still have 3+ more years of them so it's worth the research.

I really wish they would make 3rd rows optional and give a larger 2nd row without it...but they haven't asked me.

I really think you're just going to all have to get in and try it out. My husband and I are 5'10" and 6'4" and find the room comfortable but we're not hauling 6'4" kids in the back. Both our seats are as far back as you can go. (I'm the short one driving mostly but I prefer full leg extension). I've had other adults in the back with no problems but they were of average height. I'm happy with the space, that's the reason I chose capain's chairs over a bench seat - practically the bench was better but comfort for passengers made the captains chairs what I wanted. Over a 10 hour drive, is ANY car comfortable for 6'4" in the 2nd row? :) Good luck!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I really think you're just going to all have to get in and try it out.

Agreed.

The objective figures suggest a little bit of give-and-take, so there's likely to be some intangible specifics that may push the preferences one way or the other.

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/ascent/index.html/ASC-compare-wrapper-modal

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/models.html/OBK-compare-wrapper-modal

^ hit the "Interior" pull-downs on each of those - remember to compare w/ and w/o moon-roof options separately. :tango_face_wink:

Sit in one in the show-room/car-show or even better all go on a test-drive together (the salesperson will gladly go all the way in the back :smile_big:). It's really the only way to be sure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just Tried It Out

I'm a little over 6' 4" tall and sat in the rear seat behind the driver (which was set for me - all the way back). With the rear set all the way back, the very front of my jeans were just touching the back of the drivers seat. I was sitting upright and had my knees straight forward. Hope this helps.

I should note that we also have a 2015 Outback, but my wife has it out right now, so I can't compare the two.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm at 6' and wish the rear bench would slide back more. My seat hits my daughters rear facing child seat.

In about 16 months our daughter won't need to be rear facing anymore so that should allow me to slide all the way back.

I'd look at a different vehicle with a family that tall. The other thing that annoys me is I hit my head all the time on the rear hatch. Wish they raised it a few more inches.

I wish I had more height in the front of the seat as well. On all cars I slide all the way back, front of the seat raised all the way up, back of the seat all the way down.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Go see one. Sit in the front seat and adjust it comfortably for you. Then get out and get in the seat directly behind it. You should be able to push that seat all the way back and have enough room to be comfortable.

I know one reviewer said he was 6' tall and he could adjust the seats so he could sit comfy in all 3 rows front to back.

I personally have my 3rd row seats folded down for extra cargo space 99% of the time!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help. I despise the dealership experience so I try to eliminate vehicles without wasting my time climbing in and out of cars. So far very few crossover sized vehicles have the room we're looking for because they worry too much about room for the 3rd row. We're really trying to avoid going to a full-size SUV or Truck since it would be a waste for the soccer mom days just to have nice road trip comfort....and we love subarus.

My adult linebacker sized children are to blame...but I'm sure they'll pay me back for my troubles as soon as they can.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I’m 6’7” and there is no way my 6’5” son could get in the seat behind me in any car or truck. We have a Chevy crewcab and it won’t happen there either. Used to have a Suburban and no to it too. Had a 15 passenger Chevy van and that would work because everyone gets their own bench.

·
Registered
965 Posts
So, I'm looking for some real world help. I'm 6'4, my wife is 5'10" and our twin boys are 6'4 (pushing 6'5). With a 6'4 driver is there good leg room for a tall passenger? We would only be looking at the captain seat option and the 3rd row is of no use to us so the second row can be all the way back. We also need 10-hour road trip comfort, not just soccer mom shuttling.
There's acceptable leg room, but the only way to truly know for sure is to get in it.

Third row with captains chairs actually almost becomes an option, by having one sit in the second row and the other one sit in the third row, with the middle between the captains chairs giving legroom. But I say almost - I don't know that it'd be comfortable from a headroom perspective. (Recline the 3rd row all the way.)

So yeah, my advice is the same as pretty much everyone else - just come to a dealership and sit in one. We've had LOTS of people doing that. For some, it just doesn't work.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's not as roomy as I thought when it was believed to be Tahoe sized. It actually has one inch less front leg room(driver front) than a new Impreza. It does have decent room over a Outback. Not too much which I like. I think the front has the allusion of not being roomy due to that quirky shelf like piece that runs along the dash.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am 6”4” and a big one at that. Every car I get in I first run the seat all the way down and all the way back. I found our 2016 Outback works well and had more legroom for the driver than my minivan. When I first tried the Ascent, I found a ton of room almost to the point where I could move the seat forward a bit. Almost unheard of for me. But, if I have someone riding behind me, I move the seat up some to give them some room. The Ascent is big enough I can do that comfortabley. I also don’t have the moon roof so I have a lot of headroom. Just saying, it does work for me. Curious how you find it when you drive one, but note, the steering doesn’t necessarily come back as much as the seat does and has left those with a shorter reach but long legs wondering what the heck! Also for the talks, try at least a Limited to try the extendable thigh support for the driver. It works for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Beware stated numbers

Correct, the stated numbers are actually less than my 2015 Outback. But leg room is also impacted by seat position. The seat position on the Ascent is higher than on the Outback so there is actually more leg room.

It's not as roomy as I thought when it was believed to be Tahoe sized. It actually has one inch less front leg room(driver front) than a new Impreza. It does have decent room over a Outback. Not too much which I like. I think the front has the allusion of not being roomy due to that quirky shelf like piece that runs along the dash.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Correct, the stated numbers are actually less than my 2015 Outback. But leg room is also impacted by seat position. The seat position on the Ascent is higher than on the Outback so there is actually more leg room.

I'm coming from a '15 Outback as well and feel there is a lot more legroom. With lots of knee issues, I need to have space to straighten out each leg from time to time and it is definitely easier to do in the Ascent. Also more legroom for the passenger in the center of their space.

As for headroom, my 6'4" husband isn't even close to the headliner or the moon roof - plenty of space there too.

·
Registered
646 Posts

2nd row leg room Ascent-38.6/Outback-38.1 Drivers legroom Ascent-42.2 Outback-42.9. The biggest difference I have noticed is the width, other than that they are about the same. Of corse you have the 3rd row seating option if needed and when folded down you have a little more than 10 cubic feet of additional storage. The Ascent is not really that much bigger than the Outback in real world use. The new Outback coming out will probably better the Ascent in certain critical areas

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm coming from a '15 Outback as well and feel there is a lot more legroom. With lots of knee issues, I need to have space to straighten out each leg from time to time and it is definitely easier to do in the Ascent.
Yup, same here.

I came from a '16 OB, and my subjective feeling is the same as the two members above - that the Ascent makes for both easier ingress/egress as well as for more front leg/knee room.

The numbers between OB and Ascent are a give-and-take, but there's something intangible that can potentially shift any one of our specific perceptions - or simply how we physically interact with one vehicle versus the other - one way or the other. I have a chronic ankle injury, and it seems that the Ascent somehow just makes the in and out easier/smoother? :dunno:

More than one member here recommended that the OP bite the bullet and endure his and his family's distaste of the dealership experience :smile_big: and just take an hour or so to jump into the OB and the Ascent with all family members, and get a quick "feel" for what each vehicle actually does for their family members. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am 6'4" , my son is 6'3".

We looked at over a dozen different cars before buying the ascent. In *many* cases we walked into the showroom, and left after a single test: I would position the driver's seat to where I was comfortable, and he would sit behind me.

This ruled out (from memory) the Acura RLX, Volvo XC60, Mazda CX-5, BMW X1/X3, VW whatever the second-biggest-one-is-called

But we were a little 'goldilocks' ... in that we also didn't want a truck-like SUV. Models that passed the fit test but were 'too truck like' included the Highlander, Grand Cherokee, the bigger VW, etc...

Third row wasn't of interest (we will leave the Ascent folded 90% of the time).

The final two contenders were the Mercedes GLC300 vs the Ascent.

It was possible to build a GLC300 with 5 options at a MSRP within $2k of the Touring, both of which met our list of requirements.

However every GLC within 100 miles had another $8-10k of options we didn't want.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am 6'4" , my son is 6'3".

We looked at over a dozen different cars before buying the ascent. In *many* cases we walked into the showroom, and left after a single test: I would position the driver's seat to where I was comfortable, and he would sit behind me.

This ruled out (from memory) the Acura RLX, Volvo XC60, Mazda CX-5, BMW X1/X3, VW whatever the second-biggest-one-is-called

But we were a little 'goldilocks' ... in that we also didn't want a truck-like SUV. Models that passed the fit test but were 'too truck like' included the Highlander, Grand Cherokee, the bigger VW, etc...

Third row wasn't of interest (we will leave the Ascent folded 90% of the time).

The final two contenders were the Mercedes GLC300 vs the Ascent.

It was possible to build a GLC300 with 5 options at a MSRP within $2k of the Touring, both of which met our list of requirements.

However every GLC within 100 miles had another $8-10k of options we didn't want.

I found the Highlander to have more legroom and space between the 1st and Second row it really did fit rear facing children seat the best and sat my 6’2 ass comfortably in the back. The front of highlander had more space which allowed for you to slide further up and room in the second.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.