Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Is your speed limit display changing randomly to kph when set to mph? (or vice versa)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have added a poll - please only vote if you have gotten and driven your Ascent for a few hundred miles, so I have accurate data to submit.

Has anyone figured out how to get the HU to display miles per hour consistently on the speed limit signs on the display in the driver pod? Mine keeps switching the displayed value to kph no matter what setting I select, while still showing it's set to mph.

To "fix" it, I have to switch to KPH and then back to MPH.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to get the HU to display miles per hour consistently on the speed limit signs on the display in the driver pod? Mine keeps switching the displayed value to kph no matter what setting I select, while still showing it's set to mph.

To "fix" it, I have to switch to KPH and then back to MPH.
I dont have a fix, but shooting an email to their support and talking to the dealer to get some traction; I bet a software update would knock that off for sure.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I dont have a fix, but shooting an email to their support and talking to the dealer to get some traction; I bet a software update would knock that off for sure.
I'm sure it would as well - but I did already report it. :plain: Hoping someone found a fix so I don't have to wait, lol!

Are you experiencing the same problem?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm sure it would as well - but I did already report it. :plain: Hoping someone found a fix so I don't have to wait, lol!

Are you experiencing the same problem?
I wish. I don't have mine yet!

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish. I don't have mine yet!
Well, then I hope you get to experience the problem soon. :grin: :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
411 Posts
lol! I will gladly experience those problems to be driving this car sooner. Sign me up! I'm gonna be calling SOA tomorrow to see if they have my VIN yet.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've submitted a report to TomTom as well (as of a few minutes ago). I will keep everyone updated. In the meantime, if anyone finds a solution before I get a response, please share.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Added a poll - please only vote if you have gotten and driven your Ascent for a few hundred miles, so I have accurate data to submit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've never seen that issue. It has always displayed in MPH on mine. Mine is six weeks old and approx 850 miles. Now I'm going to be paranoid about it.

Does it only display that way in the driver pod, or is it the same on the Nav screen and the upper console screen as well?

What I have noted is that the accuracy is not as good as some other mapping providers (Garmin, Waze) and it seems to default to 30 MPH in areas where the speed limit is actually quite different. Recently I was driving down a residential street posted at 25 MPH and the display said the speed limit was 55 MPH.

While it's not perfect, I still like having it as feature in the pod.

I have not installed any updates since taking delivery. Is there any possibility that an update has been pushed that has triggered the issue?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I really feel like the losing presets issue is like a CMOS battery of some kind in the head unit. I wonder if this would be related.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really feel like the losing presets issue is like a CMOS battery of some kind in the head unit. I wonder if this would be related.
I only lost some presets, not all. So unlikely related to power disconnect.
Or it transmits back, and SiriusXM is losing them? I do find that if I don't have satellite signal, my presets don't come back at all.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've never seen that issue. It has always displayed in MPH on mine. Mine is six weeks old and approx 850 miles. Now I'm going to be paranoid about it.

Does it only display that way in the driver pod, or is it the same on the Nav screen and the upper console screen as well?
Good question. I don't use the built in maps much at all... I will start doing so and see.

While it's not perfect, I still like having it as feature in the pod.
LOL, and hence my pain. I thought it was a silly but neat feature when I first saw it, but in actually driving around with it, I've ended up loving it. And then suddenly the speed limit is 105 or 88... :grin:

That's not too bad, because I know neither is real in this country, but, when I am on side roads that could be anything from 25 to 50 and it says 40 (but should say 25mph), then I don't always catch it. :sad:

I've learned to go back to paying extensive attention to speed limit signs when not on the highway, lol!

I have not installed any updates since taking delivery. Is there any possibility that an update has been pushed that has triggered the issue?
Alas, no. This has been happening since day one, and my numbers are all still the same. If there was an update, it was done by the dealer before I picked up the car. I may try a factory reset, but right now I am running the same versions as everyone else who's reported numbers (for whatever reasons) in this forum.

And, it's the NY Metro area - it's not like TomTom, Harman Kardon or anyone else would get speed limit units wrong in this area. Sigh.

Baffling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What I have noted is that the accuracy is not as good as some other mapping providers (Garmin, Waze) and it seems to default to 30 MPH in areas where the speed limit is actually quite different. Recently I was driving down a residential street posted at 25 MPH and the display said the speed limit was 55 MPH.
I have noticed this issue. In my neighborhood, the speed limit is 25 MPH, but my Ascent thinks it is 55 MPH. I have noticed this same issue in a couple of other neighborhoods in my daily travel area. I personally find it pretty irritating. I would prefer not having the display at all, vs having incorrect data being displayed. Oh well.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does proximity to Canada or Mexico have any effect?
No, and I'm on Long Island 400+ miles away. Interestingly, it changes to kph a lot less when I am a hundred miles away from Canada.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts