Subaru Ascent Forum banner

121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm very interested in the sway bar and CVT bushings. My worry is with the powertrain warranty and potential issues with the CVT, and SOA having an out because of said bushings.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I'm very interested in the sway bar and CVT bushings. My worry is with the powertrain warranty and potential issues with the CVT, and SOA having an out because of said bushings.
Again, I don't see how. The sway bar bushing are just stiffer and the CVT insert just fills a hole in the OEM mount. Both the OEM sway bar bushings and this mount are designed to do the job with comfort as their priority over performance. All my products do it change how the car feels. Do the bushings improve road holding, I would say no, but they improve body roll. Does an external insert affect the way the CVT perfoms mechanically, no. Does it change the way the car feels under driveline weight transfers and "fake shifts" absolutely.

Would I swap out the bushings if my car has a driveline or engine warranty issue, h*ll no. If I happen t be on the receiving end of a faulty transmission, would I pull the insert before going to the mat with SOA ... maybe. But there is no way either product can cause any issue. They just trade comfort for performance feel, and sometimes that performance feel is a much better fit then the OEM offering.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Just ordered front and rear 85D. Installing a 1” lift next week and hope to replace these at the same time! Thank you.
Ascent sway bar bushings always ship priority mail. I will make sure they get on their way today, should have live tracking on Monday at the latest.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Bushing Bump

Just bumping this one to the top, so new members can see what they are missing.

:tango_face_wink:

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
I’m considering these. How difficult is the install? Any videos or instructions?
Chris sends them with instructions and grease to aid in the installation. Not too difficult if you're at least slightly mechanically inclined. Safety being the key: such as (a) when you're jacking up the car and (b) when re-torque the bolts you remove.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m considering these. How difficult is the install? Any videos or instructions?
Chris sends them with instructions and grease to aid in the installation. Not too difficult if you're at least slightly mechanically inclined. Safety being the key: such as (a) when you're jacking up the car and (b) when re-torque the bolts you remove.
Thanks! Approximately how long did it take you to install?

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
Thanks! Approximately how long did it take you to install?
I have about 20 other projects before installing them. They're sitting on my kitchen counter still, lol! And, it's really cold over here right now. This Spring.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Thanks Guys
@Robert.Mauro
@FourMoBro

I have been getting crushed at work. I don't subscribe to my own threads. I should, since now my regular, bill-paying-job is getting heavy.

Installation is less than an hour, if you read the directions and have a basic tool set.

With that said. I want to bring up ... if you have to pay a shop for installation. It's and hour and they might be done in 30 min. It's a very good gauge for a shop you want to use. Especially if you provide the FSM (factory service manual) procedure beforehand.

The FSM data was donated to me from another member here.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I have about 20 other projects before installing them. They're sitting on my kitchen counter still, lol! And, it's really cold over here right now. This Spring.
But ya have time for a new selfi for the Avatar.

:thanks:

Just kidding.

I prefer a new season and new adventures to evaluate the effectiveness of mods. Sounds like a perfect plan to me. You have had some time with your car after the rims and rubber. Then, you have a better understanding of the effectiveness of the bushings.

To many mods without time to evaluate the effectiveness muddles the waters when things might not go as planned. Trust me, look at my Avatar. (2) Modded wagoms with no end in sight. Just more parts on the shelf waiting for the right time. To evaluate correctly.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Lots of Buzz Lately

It appears there have been new Ascent owners searching the interweb both before and after taking ownership of their Ascents. I have had a small furry lately of inquiries and sales.

Again, any member/user feedback is helpful for those who run across this thread.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just found this thread myself and I wouldn't mind reducing the body roll in my Ascent a bit. We are generally happy with the ride and the body roll isn't atrocious but it's a bit too much when you need to make sudden corrections.

Also do you have a link for the CVT stiffener?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I wish someone would release a sway bar kit to improve the handling. How much reduction in sway is there with the new bushing? Or is it just a harder initial set followed by the same wallow/roll?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
I wish someone would release a sway bar kit to improve the handling. How much reduction in sway is there with the new bushing? Or is it just a harder initial set followed by the same wallow/roll?
Someone should see if the 20mm STI bar will work with the width of the Ascent. The 85d bushing resist roll through the entire activation of the bar. A stiffer system through the whole range.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Someone should see if the 20mm STI bar will work with the width of the Ascent. The 85d bushing resist roll through the entire activation of the bar. A stiffer system through the whole range.

That would be an interesting experiment. Anyone here have a WRX STI and an Ascent?

Hmmm......I may try the stiffer bushing.

·
Registered
61 Posts

That would be an interesting experiment. Anyone here have a WRX STI and an Ascent?

Hmmm......I may try the stiffer bushing.
I do. And I have an aftermarket RSB so my stock STI RSB should be up in my attic. I’ll check when I do my install of the 85D’s.

121 - 140 of 176 Posts