Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the Forum Protocol with home-brew, grass-roots, cottage-industry ...VENDORS?

If any of you have ever had an Outback or Legacy, then you have probably heard of me. I make aftermarket performance sway bar bushings for regular, "stock" Subaru "Family Haulers". My local parts guys at Mike Shaw Subaru (Denver) noticed me under the Ascent in the showroom this week and asked me what parts I was looking for. Since dealer parts just came online.

I replyed "Sway bar Bushings and CVT mount please."

I will have oem front and rear sway bar bushing in hand tomorrow and will have new product in both 75d (durometer) and 85d by the end of the weekend. 60d is stock hardness. I started this thread as a teaser, and I will comply will with all Ascent forum rules. I will have links on ebay and hopefully and option her to go direct.

I am happy to be a part of the new Subaru Global Platform with stock upgrades. I am also happy to field any questions.

[email protected]@gmail.com until my profile is set up.

Welcome to better handling for that 2.4 boosted motor.

·
Registered
492 Posts
What is the Forum Protocol with home-brew, grass-roots, cottage-industry ...VENDORS?

If any of you have ever had an Outback or Legacy, then you have probably heard of me. I make aftermarket performance sway bar bushings for regular, "stock" Subaru "Family Haulers". My local parts guys at Mike Shaw Subaru (Denver) noticed me under the Ascent in the showroom this week and asked me what parts I was looking for. Since dealer parts just came online.

I replyed "Sway bar Bushings and CVT mount please."

I will have oem front and rear sway bar bushing in hand tomorrow and will have new product in both 75d (durometer) and 85d by the end of the weekend. 60d is stock hardness. I started this thread as a teaser, and I will comply will with all Ascent forum rules. I will have links on ebay and hopefully and option her to go direct.

I am happy to be a part of the new Subaru Global Platform with stock upgrades. I am also happy to field any questions.

[email protected]@gmail.com until my profile is set up.

Welcome to better handling for that 2.4 boosted motor.
I'm interested. Can you tell me how big of a difference you anticipate these bushings to make? And how long do you think they will last? Our Ascent will be 9/10ths family hauler.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm interested. Can you tell me how big of a difference you anticipate these bushings to make? And how long do you think they will last? Our Ascent will be 9/10ths family hauler.
Typically "poly" - urethane is considered to lifetime, vs sulfur derived rubber.

CKE SSP bushing will NOT last a lifetime. I would consider them to have similar durability to the rubber in the car with some extended durability. In the 2010-2018 Outbacks, you can see major bushing deformation in the STOCK bushings as early as 50K miles. (3 years) More in the front than the rear. However, the Ascent mount the rear sway bar differently then in the OBs. The rear bar is mounted directly to the chassis, mounts up, a direct tie. The OB rear sway bar is mounted to the rear floating subframe which carries the rear suspension components. The 2 early Gen Foresters untilized a direct chasis tie similar to the Ascent. I expect this was done to have much better control to the back end.

The rear bushing design for the 2010-2018 OBs (and WRX/STI) has also abandoned. The RSBB now utilizes the same design and strap as the front sway bar bushing similar to the rest of the Global Platform front sway bar bushings. This tells me, it is designed to handle greater forces.

As to how much difference they will make? It's a good guess for anyone until folks start strapping them on and providing butt-dyno feedback. I have product data sheets, with all kinds of numbers, but without the same data for the stock rubber, it's not really relevant. I have come up with a device I can to test the difference, however, the cost and time to fabricate it is prohibitive. My products are cast by hand in a cottage-business style, no fancy injection molding machines. There is a reason I am the only manufacturer who represents exact stock styles and none of the bigboys like WhiteLine, Energy Suspension or Prothane do.

Because the process is to difficult and they can't be pumped out like typical aftermarket fodder.

I can tell you, the stock rubber durometer is targeted at 60-65d. I will be making 2 hardnesses. (durometer)
85d, which will be comparable to any "hard" aftermarket "poly". Then I make a 75d which splits the difference between the 85d and the stock.

There have been extensive discussions on the Outback forum, and as time goes on, maybe I can link a "quotes"

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the purpose for the modification on bushings and mount?
There is no modification to the mount. The bushing is simply "harder". If you have ever modified the suspension of a truck or sport-type car, harder, "poly" bushings are utilized everywhere vs the stock rubber.

In the case of the Ascent, it will tighten up the handling a bit. Quicker reactions to suspension changes and body roll. The drawback to adding less compliant bushings in some locations is NVH. (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) For anyone who has ever driven a Mazda, these cars are riddled with it.

I was initially very cautious producing sway bar bushings for family cars. I was concerned adding harder bushing to the 2010-2018 Outback would be a terrible idea from an NVH standpoint. I have my own bushings in my 2005 and my 2006 and they have a considerably lighter chassis. I have noticed increased harshness in my cars, but my cars have aluminum arms and poly everywhere I can get. There is very little rubber left in either.

With all of the Outback and Leggy customers so far, NVH has not been a problem. I even made a set in 90d for one guy. They are so hard they needed to be in 2 pieces. Not flexible enough to bend around the bar. The Ascent is larger, with more structure. NVH will be even less of an issue with this model.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm hopeful that the result will be good based on your speculation. If you ever need a test mule, please sign me up and I can provide independent testings for you.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm hopeful that the result will be good based on your speculation. If you ever need a test mule, please sign me up and I can provide independent testings for you.
I need several. Hopefully this forum can build the same benefit for owners as the Outbacker's did. I have a couple local friends with 2010-2014 OBs, I was able to evaluate my applicable mods on their cars from both the passenger and driver's seat. I also am part of a tuning group with many 2010-2018 Legacy and OBs. The group made out like bandits. I must have comped a dozen sets (gratis) with the initial R&D.

The only Ascent owners I am going have contact with is Here, at least initially. Those who are serious , those who can provide feedback will be critical. I am thinking I will be sending out 4 to 6 sets. Or pairs. It depends. Some folks my just want to stiffen the rear. Some may want the 85d rear and the 75d front. Some may want matched sets. Some may NOT CARE at all, because they think the car is fine.

I like running the stock rubber on the stock front sway bar on my OBs and running an 85d on the rear.

We don't yet know how this chassis performs for daily users. Is that daily user 1 kiddo and 3 dogs and bikes? Or is that user a Father of 5 with a packed rig all the time. Or, is that a couple with just dogs and gear, planning a lift and big tires. These are all differnt end users and each may benefit from different bushing combinations.

·
Super Moderator
568 Posts
I'm interested...

·
Super Moderator
568 Posts
So, it appears you have your car then? I was supposed to see bushings today. If they push into next week. I could have test product ready to ship by the end of next week.
I wish... it's going to be a few months before I get mine

·
Super Moderator
568 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's an odd question...

Are you able to make something to raise the rearview mirror a bit higher?

I got one for my Tacoma. Here's the difference https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/review-immryo-rear-view-mirror-lift-bracket.210670/page-85
Was yours made out of metal, the one in the link? What did it cost? I am craftsman by nature, I can make just about anything. However, I do not have CNC equipment. I looked further into some other options available and they appear to be CNC'd aluminum. I can't cost effectively make something like that by hand.

However, I can look into plastics. If there is one that I feel is both rigid and can handle the 150* plus temps without deformation, then I can make a simple plate extender easily. My "Rubber Shop"

https://www.reynoldsam.com/denver/

is closed until Tuesday, But the technical information is available online.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Here's an odd question...

Are you able to make something to raise the rearview mirror a bit higher?

I got one for my Tacoma. Here's the difference https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/review-immryo-rear-view-mirror-lift-bracket.210670/page-85
Was yours made out of metal, the one in the link? What did it cost? I am craftsman by nature, I can make just about anything. However, I do not have CNC equipment. I looked further into some other options available and they appear to be CNC'd aluminum. I can't cost effectively make something like that by hand.

However, I can look into plastics. If there is one that I feel is both rigid and can handle the 150* plus temps without deformation, then I can make a simple plate extender easily. My "Rubber Shop"

https://www.reynoldsam.com/denver/

is closed until Tuesday, But the technical information is available online.
I think if you want to make one for Florida heat, it'll have to withstand 1,500* plus temps!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not going to see bushings or a mount until after the holiday.

I will keep the thread posted.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
No Moss on this Rolling Stone

I expected to be casting master molds (this weekend) for the sway bar bushings I didn't get.

So, instead I retro fitted (2017 Impreza FSB bushings - rear)b and 2012-2013 LGT sway bar bushings and modified 2015-2018 Outback front sway bar straps, and 2010-2014 front sway bar straps...Because, idle hands, right?

To ...

This is the common WhiteLine front and rear sway bar upgrades for the 2005-2009 Leggy/OB. This is what I do in may spare time. Make things better for out cars. Your Ascents are in freakishly good hands when they actually hit the road.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hopefully the delay in my Ascent parts is not indicative of the delivery dates for the actual car. Still waiting, they are supposedly still in transit. I think the bushings I make from scratch, ship faster.

;)

I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hopefully the delay in my Ascent parts is not indicative of the delivery dates for the actual car. Still waiting, they are supposedly still in transit. I think the bushings I make from scratch, ship faster.

/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

I'll keep you all posted.
Do you know if those bushings are brand new designs or borrowed from an existing model vehicle? I hope they aren't just saying they're on their way when in fact won't actually ship till the Ascent ships.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you know if those bushings are brand new designs or borrowed from an existing model vehicle? I hope they aren't just saying they're on their way when in fact won't actually ship till the Ascent ships.
They are not borrowed. They look to be similar to other bushings I have seen in the new global platform. They are different from everything pre-2015. But they look very similar to the 2017 Impreza bushing I just copied.

However, they re going to be the largest sway bars we have seen. They are definitely their own animal.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts