Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have less than 2000 miles on my 2019 Touring and this crack on the inside showed up today. I’ve had the sunroof open one time - the week I got the car.
ED3C4685-953C-4487-8562-4BAE9CBE9450.jpeg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is there a crack on the outside, inside, both or is in inside the glass panel? Can you see if there is a point of impact or none at all? The answers to these questions will assist in determining the cause and therefore who is responsible for the repair costs.
I only ran my finger across it once to see if I could feel the crack, but I don't want any evidence of me touching the panel at this point. I can't seem to find the point of impact.

I drove to the dealer on Sunday, and the guy who set up my appointment in the service department said the same thing happened in his cousin's subaru while he was driving with him. Heard a loud crack when they went over a bump. Two people in the service department said that they need to take our car, inspect the crack, take pictures and send it into Subaru Corporate to determine if they're going to pick up the cost of this repair. Do a google search for sunroof panel crack and most of the topics will come up from Subaru owners. I've had sunroofs in my lexus, infiniti, and acura and have NEVER had any issues with my sunroof in any of those cars.

Dropping off the car tomorrow morning... i'll keep you guys posted

·
Registered
63 Posts
Car is currently at the dealer. Their techs said they've seen this happen on other subaru models, but not on the Ascent yet. They called it into corporate and said they are aware of this issue, so it is currently being replaced and covered under warranty!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Currently at the dealer with my 2019 Ascent Limited with a sunroof crack. They are waiting on the manager's approval to do a no cost replacement. The technician can't find any impact but needs approval before ordering the replacement Its on the rear corner passenger side of the movable sunroof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Currently at the dealer with my 2019 Ascent Limited with a sunroof crack. They are waiting on the manager's approval to do a no cost replacement. The technician can't find any impact but needs approval before ordering the replacement Its on the rear corner passenger side of the movable sunroof. View attachment 2518
Replacement has been approved and will arrive in a week. I’ll update once they perform the replacement. This is the first time my dealer has seen it. San Diego,CA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Picked up my Ascent Touring went on vacation came back to a hairline crack in the sunroof panel. There was no point of impact that can be seen and can only be seen & felt from the inside. Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. Thought it may be part of the missing weld at first but Subaru confirmed my vehicle was not one of the affected units.

I know we had pretty good weather/storms in my area while away. But tempered glass should not crack like this, temps should not have varied so much.

Dealer and Corp will be taking care of replacing and cost - hopefully not a habitual issue.
Just found this Friday ?Nothing on outside. Had whole moonroof replaced in October bc it wasn’t sitting flat. Looks like a gash or indentation where the crack originates. Calling dealer ? A8165124-5DEF-4791-A01C-41249EF06C1D.jpeg

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 1800 Newest victim of this sunroof panel crack. We have a 2019 Touring with 5500 miles on it. Car is always parked in the garage. Going to call the dealer Monday morning to see if they’ll replace it. Wish me luck
Omg. Looks almost exactly like my crack! Found Friday evening 1/17/2020 Seems it’s an issue with Ascent. Love my vehicle though. Dealership is taking care of it and are equally perplexed. 6B18BE5B-106E-474F-96E4-0C46F99D8523.jpeg 7AC3AC96-6738-4DE2-81CD-F61C1386E6DF.jpeg

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Subaru Ascent has the same sunroof crack. Only 8,800 miles and it's already headed into the shop. I can't say that I'm pleased. This is my first Subaru and I'm not super impressed. I hope my experience as a Subaru owner gets better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I noticed the roof is flimsy in feel. Could it be a structural issues?
I definitely think because my entire moonroof was replaced (kept the glass) bc it’s not sitting flat, that it’s certainly a factor. My moonroof was the 2nd the dealership had to replace for the not sitting flat issue

·
Registered
592 Posts
the non sunroof sunroof?
Didn't have an option as I wanted the Touring model with ventilated seats. But I think the only time I have opened the shade is to show other people the sunroof because they like them or when I put the Christmas tree on the crossbars I was able to monitor that it wasn't moving.

·
Registered
702 Posts
One of many reasons I went Limited was to axe the heavy sunroof. It would get opened 1-2 times, and is a major liability. If I have a choice, I ALWAYS opt out of a big hole in my roof.
Sometimes you’re stuck with the manufacturer’s option packaging.
I got stuck with one on my Touring Forester.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did anyone with a cracked sunroof have ceramic film applied to it? I was just told at the place that tinted my car that this has happened to several Ascents, and they will no longer do any dark films, just clear ones (the ceramic cuts the heat down) and they think it has something to do with heat buildup (?). I don't have a crack, but did get a clear ceramic film applied to the sunroof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picked up my Ascent Touring went on vacation came back to a hairline crack in the sunroof panel. There was no point of impact that can be seen and can only be seen & felt from the inside. Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. Thought it may be part of the missing weld at first but Subaru confirmed my vehicle was not one of the affected units.

I know we had pretty good weather/storms in my area while away. But tempered glass should not crack like this, temps should not have varied so much.

Dealer and Corp will be taking care of replacing and cost - hopefully not a habitual issue.
I used my sunroof today for the first time this season. My front panel was cracked on the driver’s side from the back headed forward. The crack is clearly from the inside with no point of impact.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I used my sunroof today for the first time this season. My front panel was cracked on the driver’s side from the back headed forward. The crack is clearly from the inside with no point of impact.
to clarify is the crack felt only from the inside or not at all (between panes)?

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
35 Posts
Open question: anyone who has had their glass replaced, had it crack again a second time?
I wonder if the dealer is doing something other than just replace the glass?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
One of many reasons I went Limited was to axe the heavy sunroof. It would get opened 1-2 times, and is a major liability. If I have a choice, I ALWAYS opt out of a big hole in my roof.
Sometimes you’re stuck with the manufacturer’s option packaging.
I got stuck with one on my Touring Forester.
I know some owners love them, but I ordered my Limited without one for the same reasons you had.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts