Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
We've had our '19 Ascent Touring about two months and noticed a crack in the inside side of the sunroof. Called dealership and they said it was covered under warranty. Brought it in thinking, "This'll take 5 minutes to diagnose and order the part." 90 minutes later, we're leaving the dealership with an expected service a week later. Oh, well. At least it's no charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello - I have a similar moonroof crack issue with my Subaru 2019 Ascent Limited. On initial inspection the dealer thought it was due to intentional damage and I was shocked. There was no visible point of impact and clearly it seemed to be stress related.
Thankfully, a senior certified mechanic at the dealership inspected it and confirmed it was stress related and subaru/dealer agreed to replace it for free.

This needs to be escalated to Subaru of America as it lowers the reputation of an otherwise stellar brand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wondering if any Ascent owners have experienced glass issues with the moonroof? We only opened it once and that was at the dealer when we took possession, 10 weeks ago. Since then the moonroof has been closed due to the heat this summer in the AZ desert. Yesterday happened to look and the glass is cracked and appears to be on the inside surface vs. something such as a rock or other debris hitting from the outside of vehicle. Possibly defective glass? We have a service appointment this week for a different issue (AC) and pretty sure dealer will not cover under warranty as it will be hard to confirm as a defect, but wondered if any owners experienced any trouble or have had to replace moonroof glass and cost. Thank you.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just wondering if any Ascent owners have experienced glass issues with the moonroof? We only opened it once and that was at the dealer when we took possession, 10 weeks ago. Since then the moonroof has been closed due to the heat this summer in the AZ desert. Yesterday happened to look and the glass is cracked and appears to be on the inside surface vs. something such as a rock or other debris hitting from the outside of vehicle. Possibly defective glass? We have a service appointment this week for a different issue (AC) and pretty sure dealer will not cover under warranty as it will be hard to confirm as a defect, but wondered if any owners experienced any trouble or have had to replace moonroof glass and cost. Thank you.
Several others have had this problem. The "key", I believe is that there is not a ding/chip on the outside (like something fell and caused it. Others have had no problem getting it replaced - just a delay in getting a new one in. If they question it as far as free replacement, ask them to point out the point of impact.

I think if you search this site, you will probably find a lot of other posts on this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We've had our '19 Ascent Touring about two months and noticed a crack in the inside side of the sunroof. Called dealership and they said it was covered under warranty. Brought it in thinking, "This'll take 5 minutes to diagnose and order the part." 90 minutes later, we're leaving the dealership with an expected service a week later. Oh, well. At least it's no charge.
Glad to hear you will not be charged. We take our 2 month old 2019 Ascent to dealer next week for a different issue but just noticed a crack in the moonroof. We plan to bring this to their attention but assumed it would not be covered. It does appear to be defective or stress crack. May I ask where you are located and dealer ? Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello - I have a similar moonroof crack issue with my Subaru 2019 Ascent Limited. On initial inspection the dealer thought it was due to intentional damage and I was shocked. There was no visible point of impact and clearly it seemed to be stress related.
Thankfully, a senior certified mechanic at the dealership inspected it and confirmed it was stress related and subaru/dealer agreed to replace it for free.

This needs to be escalated to Subaru of America as it lowers the reputation of an otherwise stellar brand.
Our 2 month old 2019 Ascent developed a moonroof crack which we just noticed. It also appears to be a defect or stress related. Glad to hear dealer agreed to replace. I was thinking it would not be covered under warranty. When we take the car to dealer next week for a different issue we will see what they say! May I ask where and what dealer you went to? Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Several others have had this problem. The "key", I believe is that there is not a ding/chip on the outside (like something fell and caused it. Others have had no problem getting it replaced - just a delay in getting a new one in. If they question it as far as free replacement, ask them to point out the point of impact.

I think if you search this site, you will probably find a lot of other posts on this.
Thanks so much ! Did find some other posts so keeping fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 2 month old 2019 Ascent developed a moonroof crack which we just noticed. It also appears to be a defect or stress related. Glad to hear dealer agreed to replace. I was thinking it would not be covered under warranty. When we take the car to dealer next week for a different issue we will see what they say! May I ask where and what dealer you went to? Thank you.
Ramsey nj
ramsey subaru

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad to hear you will not be charged. We take our 2 month old 2019 Ascent to dealer next week for a different issue but just noticed a crack in the moonroof. We plan to bring this to their attention but assumed it would not be covered. It does appear to be defective or stress crack. May I ask where you are located and dealer ? Thank you.
Central Florida
Mastro Subaru

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up my Ascent Touring went on vacation came back to a hairline crack in the sunroof panel. There was no point of impact that can be seen and can only be seen & felt from the inside. Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. Thought it may be part of the missing weld at first but Subaru confirmed my vehicle was not one of the affected units.

I know we had pretty good weather/storms in my area while away. But tempered glass should not crack like this, temps should not have varied so much.

Dealer and Corp will be taking care of replacing and cost - hopefully not a habitual issue.
Just purchased 2020 Ascent. At the dealer right about to drive off I noticed the crack in the left rear part of the moonroof. Dealer replacing. Not a good start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just purchased 2020 Ascent. At the dealer right about to drive off I noticed the crack in the left rear part of the moonroof. Dealer replacing. Not a good start.
Reach out to SOA (Corp). They helped out a bit by extending a 3 yr maintenance place for the inconvenience. Hope all turns out ok!

A few things to note, when you take in for fix please make sure the A pillar cover is sitting correctly after the fix. Mine kept falling. And also, worth mentioning to the tech/service team to make sure the roof gutter drain tubing is secure. Long story short, my windshield also needed replacement (Highway Rock). After wards, I went away for a 2 week vacay and came back to a good amount of rain water sitting/sloshing under my passengers side carpeting. I believe both incidents played a factor. But better safe than wet!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same with my Ascent - just noticed - had it only 6 months - 5,500 miles - told the dealership that I wanted the part there when I go in for the 6K service in a week.They initially protested - policy/procedure matter - but I have pushed and expect to hear shortly that SOA agrees to the warranty replacement and that the part will be there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The moonroof on our Limited also mysteriously developed a crack within the first month of ownership. The local dealer (Flatirons in Boulder) declined to cover it under the vehicle's warranty, which is pretty irritating given that this appears to be a known problem, and suggested that we contact SOA (which we haven't done). Has anyone had any luck going this route?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Waiting for the dealership (Lester Glenn in Tom's River, NJ) to get back to me, but I have been advised that if I can't get resolution with them, contacting SOA is good path forward.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to preface my post by saying I love my 2019 Ascent, it's my first Subaru. It has been a great upgrade from my Honda Accord Coupe for my growing family (wife, 2 kids and one on the way). Unfortunately, 3 months in to ownership and I am experiencing the same issue with the cracked sunroof.

I rarely ever open the sunroof, maybe only have done so 3 times. When I tried to do so last night I noticed a crack running from the front to the back of the glass that slides back for the sunroof. I checked around trying to see if I can spot any point of impact on top of the glass, maybe road debris might have fallen on it causing the crack. I couldn't find any glass chipping from the outside or inside the car to indicate this. Also, I could only feel the crack on the glass from inside the car and not on the roof.

I'm hoping for the same hassle free outcome as most of you experienced when I go to the dealer for the damage assessment tomorrow. ::fingers crossed::

·
Registered
63 Posts
Newest victim of this sunroof panel crack. We have a 2019 Touring with 5500 miles on it. Car is always parked in the garage. Going to call the dealer Monday morning to see if they’ll replace it. Wish me luck

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
View attachment 1800 Newest victim of this sunroof panel crack. We have a 2019 Touring with 5500 miles on it. Car is always parked in the garage. Going to call the dealer Monday morning to see if they’ll replace it. Wish me luck
Is there a crack on the outside, inside, both or is in inside the glass panel? Can you see if there is a point of impact or none at all? The answers to these questions will assist in determining the cause and therefore who is responsible for the repair costs.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts