Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just road tipped 2000 miles and it was a very nice ride. Just noticed while riding on smooth, quiet road (uncommon in Oregon), I can hear a distant whining type noise that increases or decreases with light throttle and is especially pronounced between 50 & 73ish MPH. Most road noise / radio drowns it out, but it's slightly annoying when I do hear it. I'm assuming it's characteristic of the CVT and/or turbo but wondered if anyone else has noticed it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
What was the RPM when you were hearing the noise...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't note that, unfortunately. Just noticed it driving & coasting in that range under very light throttle and sometimes w/o throttle as well, but the pitch would increase with throttle. Heavier throttle drowns out the noise.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Probably noise related to the turbo based on your description, but I'm no mechanic. I only notice this at low speed during the unusual event I have the music turned off. :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Check that your driver's vent isn't the culprit. Mine has a slight whistle (more like a hum) if it's partially closed, and it does vary slightly with velocity. I imagine that while the AC vent air is mostly governed by the fan speed, some component of "rammed" intake air might help push it into the cabin.

My mental image of the sound is a big piece of plastic flashing aimed into the airstream and flapping slightly.

F.S.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Just road tipped 2000 miles and it was a very nice ride. Just noticed while riding on smooth, quiet road (uncommon in Oregon), I can hear a distant whining type noise that increases or decreases with light throttle and is especially pronounced between 50 & 73ish MPH. Most road noise / radio drowns it out, but it's slightly annoying when I do hear it. I'm assuming it's characteristic of the CVT and/or turbo but wondered if anyone else has noticed it.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Good luck with the whine! At 45-48mph my Forester has a really annoying hum. It is the same as with yours, accelerator pressure will make it louder or softer, but it's still there. Subaru did replace the transmission, and the rebuilt one didn't even get me out of town. I had to take it back to the dealer, and they ordered another one. The new one has the same whine. In fact the dealership got the same exact car, and had me drive it. Guess what, the hum is in that car too. The service manager was just great, but offered no solution rather to just ignore it. It has gotten a bit worse as mileage accumulated on the Forrester. I would never buy another Subaru. Apparently it is a design flaw that we are just stuck with. I can't fault the dealer, but I do fault Subaru. My question about your Ascent is how is the gas mileage, and do you know the RPM's at about 70 mph? I don't care what they say, that heavy of vehicle needs a larger engine. That is one fault that is apparent in other Subaru's, the engine has to wind up to 4000rpm to get the power curve ready to pass cars on the open highway. I would really like to check an Ascent out, but I am skeptical of a 4 cylinder having a long life hauling all that metal around.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Good luck with the whine! At 45-48mph my Forester has a really annoying hum. It is the same as with yours, accelerator pressure will make it louder or softer, but it's still there. Subaru did replace the transmission, and the rebuilt one didn't even get me out of town. I had to take it back to the dealer, and they ordered another one. The new one has the same whine. In fact the dealership got the same exact car, and had me drive it. Guess what, the hum is in that car too. The service manager was just great, but offered no solution rather to just ignore it. It has gotten a bit worse as mileage accumulated on the Forrester. I would never buy another Subaru. Apparently it is a design flaw that we are just stuck with. I can't fault the dealer, but I do fault Subaru. My question about your Ascent is how is the gas mileage, and do you know the RPM's at about 70 mph? I don't care what they say, that heavy of vehicle needs a larger engine. That is one fault that is apparent in other Subaru's, the engine has to wind up to 4000rpm to get the power curve ready to pass cars on the open highway. I would really like to check an Ascent out, but I am skeptical of a 4 cylinder having a long life hauling all that metal around.
Note I am hearing impaired, so it has to be annoying to people with good hearing.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
The chain movement sounds a little like a bad power steering pump. It's louder when the CVT is cold. It's also normal, and mentioned in the manual.

Alas, there's nothing to fix.

Other brands don't have that sound because they use lower torque push belts instead of a chain.

·
Registered
377 Posts
don't care what they say, that heavy of vehicle needs a larger engine.
With modern technology this is no longer true. The Ford F150 is 6 cylinder turbo these days(since 2015). Torque is more relevant than raw horsepower. With how many Subie's are sold in the mountains a turbo is a much better choice than a naturally aspirated engine(NAE) for the weight load. NAEs lose a tremendous amount of performance in the thinner air at altitude.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I can't fault the dealer, but I do fault Subaru.
I wouldn't fault Subaru. I would be very interested to see what the dealer did.

My question about your Ascent is how is the gas mileage
Without boosting all the time, I easily making EPA ratings. Usually, I drive for fun, and averaged 21-22mpg combined city/highway. Now, I have a roof rack and rack mounted spare tire, which eats gas.

and do you know the RPM's at about 70 mph?
In the 2,000's.

I don't care what they say, that heavy of vehicle needs a larger engine.
LOL, it absolutely does not. The Ascent has a stronger, more powerful engine than the outgoing Outback 3.6R, and can match the Outback 3.6R's 0-60 times, even though it's a half ton heavier than the Outback.

It also EASILY tows to its rating.

Towing that trailer ate a Ford Explorer drivetrain the very first time. The Ascent tows it easily and regularly, and matches the Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost we'd towed it with for a bit after the one trip with the Explorer (a quarter trip, actually, before the drivetrain croaked).

That is one fault that is apparent in other Subaru's, the engine has to wind up to 4000rpm to get the power curve ready to pass cars on the open highway. I would really like to check an Ascent out, but I am skeptical of a 4 cylinder having a long life hauling all that metal around.
The FA24DIT/TR690 combo in the Ascent hits max 277 lb-ft torque at 2,000 rpm, and has a torque line to 4,800 rpm where it maintains that 277 lb-ft torque. So, that's a non-issue in the Ascent. Yep, full torque from 2,000 rpm to 4,800 rpm.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Premium
3 Posts
I hear this noise as well. It is only under extraordinarily light throttle, more pressure, and it goes away, less pressure, and it goes away. This is my 7th Subaru (15th in my family) but my first CVT. I chalk the sound up to 3 possibilities: 1.) Minor/Normal CVT whine 2.) Noise from the high-pressure fuel injectors/pump being both demanded and restricted by the light throttle input 3.) Some sort of whistle in the air intake system again caused by air being both required and limited by the light throttle input.

All of this is pure speculation on my part. I will add that the noise really doesn't worry me. I experience no loss of power or "slipping" of the CVT, engine acceleration is smooth, and I notice no other side effects. My 2017 Forester with the 6mt has similar quirks with noise. For instance, accelerating uphill in 3rd gear at 3200 rpm cause a rattle until you reach 4000rpm. No other gears or types of acceleration cause the rattle. Why? Who knows, but 60,000mi later, I've had no further issues arise because of it. And let's not even start analyzing all the squeaks my 03wrx with 180,000mi makes.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru ascent premium 2003 Jeep Wrangler freedom edition
97 Posts
Probably the turbo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.