Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through my research online I have found Subaru's Dealer holdback is 2% of MSRP. Can someone confirm? I also used Edmunds and TruCar to get an idea of Invoice prices for a Limited with just a few added options and I believe a vehicle with a 40,400 to 40,650 MSRP has an Invoice between 37,000 and 38,000. Does that sound about right? Average sales in my area seem to be around 39,500. Has anyone been able to get their final price down to invoice price in the New England Area? I realize this is a popular new model but I never pay full price for anything and would never go in to a dealership uneducated about pricing of the vehicle. :smile:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Through my research online I have found Subaru's Dealer holdback is 2% of MSRP. Can someone confirm? I also used Edmunds and TruCar to get an idea of Invoice prices for a Limited with just a few added options and I believe a vehicle with a 40,400 to 40,650 MSRP has an Invoice between 37,000 and 38,000. Does that sound about right? Average sales in my area seem to be around 39,500. Has anyone been able to get their final price down to invoice price in the New England Area? I realize this is a popular new model but I never pay full price for anything and would never go in to a dealership uneducated about pricing of the vehicle. :smile:
If average sales in your area for a mildly equipped Limited are around 39,500, then that is likely the price you can expect to pay, as that is the discounted price that those dealerships are willing to offer, which is a good deal given the current market for this vehicle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does that work for you with utilities, groceries and gas?
o
Ha easily. Utilities I try to pay attention to what I use for electricity and other items. Gas I use pumps owned by our wholesale club It's like Costco and groceries I try to buy items on sale. I'm just a bargain shopper and try to do the same when it comes to vehicles. I am aware sometimes you must pay full price and that's when I do my research to make sure full price is worth it to me. this is why I joined the forums to make sure my Ascent purchase is right for me in many ways.

·
Registered
313 Posts
o
Ha easily. Utilities I try to pay attention to what I use for electricity and other items. Gas I use pumps owned by our wholesale club It's like Costco and groceries I try to buy items on sale. I'm just a bargain shopper and try to do the same when it comes to vehicles. I am aware sometimes you must pay full price and that's when I do my research to make sure full price is worth it to me. this is why I joined the forums to make sure my Ascent purchase is right for me in many ways.
Just giving you a hard time. But to be fair, using less electricity still means you're paying full price on the less used, you're still paying Costco's full price (like I do) and on sale is just marking down after marking up. ;-) haha

But I am the same way, I ordered a premium w/ opt12 and some accessories, I checked with a few dealers in the area and I got the best price I could between two that would negotiate. It was about $1400 less than MSRP and I have a $500 SOA loyalty incentive to add on top of that.

·
Registered
764 Posts

When it comes to what the dealer pays (invoice) and all their incentives to sell the car (holdback, sales goals, flooring etc), don't look to much into it. If you can get a good dealership to go $1000 under MSRP you should count it as a good day. If you can get invoice, great, that is a fantastic deal on this car. If you can get the dealer to go under invoice, its obviously even better. At the end of the day you're getting a fantastic car regardless of what you paid. A year from now if you are still focused on the fact that saved $500 over the next guy, you are probably worrying about the wrong things in life :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Through my research online I have found Subaru's Dealer holdback is 2% of MSRP. Can someone confirm?
I can confirm that your figure is incorrect.

I'm not going to tell you how far off it is, but it is off.

Also, you want to be careful with how certain dealers in your area say things. One of them that advertises incredibly low prices also happens to put (in their fine print) that they require a trade-in to get that low price - and they then low-ball you by thousands on that.

In the end, supply and demand are still applicable. Subaru's are a value priced vehicle even at full MSRP, when you actually look at what you're getting with the car.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I live in Colorado, one of the hottest real estate markets in the US. If I only received $1,000 off MSRP on the Ascent Limited, I would keep shopping. $3,000 off MSRP seems to be the norm here in Colorado - probably because one dealer pushes the envelope and others choose to follow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After stalking the forum for months, i finally ordered a Premium today. Heusberger pricing is invoice on Ascent, and all accessories on factory order. Plus $489 dealer handling. I initially checked Albuquerque, where I live, but they only offered $1000 off msrp.

·
Registered
590 Posts
After stalking the forum for months, i finally ordered a Premium today. Heusberger pricing is invoice on Ascent, and all accessories on factory order. Plus $489 dealer handling. I initially checked Albuquerque, where I live, but they only offered $1000 off msrp.
I’m in VA and we almost purchased from them. We finally had a dealer willing to match them. They only wanted 600 to ship it to us, which was still much better than MSRP!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ha Ha its good to see Heuberger finally noticed they don't have to lose money to sell the Ascents lol

·
Registered
357 Posts
Also if your trading keep a eye on the bottom line, we paid more for the ascent than I wanted but they gave us more for the trade to make it look good on paper. The out the door price was where I wanted to be so who cares what the trade or if. you pay invoice the bottom line is the make or brake. Especially if you live in a state like me and pay stupid high sales tax.

·
Registered
764 Posts
They must have a very nice draw and bonus set up going. IDK how anyone there would make a living with all those flats.
I sold a car to a guy that used to work there. He said there is a lot of employee turn over. The store doesn't even pay them on new cars sold under invoice. Subaru money is their only incentive to sell a new car. But he did say they counted towards their unit bonuses.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I sold a car to a guy that used to work there. He said there is a lot of employee turn over. The store doesn't even pay them on new cars sold under invoice. Subaru money is their only incentive to sell a new car. But he did say they counted towards their unit bonuses.
Yeah, I wouldn't work there. Offering cars under invoice knowing the salesman isn't going to get paid is pretty sleezy.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
They must have a very nice draw and bonus set up going. IDK how anyone there would make a living with all those flats.
They are making the real money on dealer incentives, just like the guy selling warranties at cost. They don't care about making money on a single deal - they care about making much more money from the manufacturer through incentives.

Is $3,000 off MSRP on the Limited trim Ascent, invoice price?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.