Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"In four key categories, Compact Car, Midsize Car, Compact SUV and Midsize SUV, Subaru has the best resale value with its respective Impreza, all-new Legacy, Forester and new Outback. " from Kelly Blue Book article linked below. The article from Kelly Blue Book is new and includes the Ascent.

"The average vehicle drops 49.6 % of its original value after five years, which translates into nearly a $19,000 loss. "
"An astute new-vehicle shopper would be well served to choose a model that’s predicted to hold its value better than will other cars and trucks in its class, which is ultimately based on a variety of variables, including economic factors, historical data, and plain old supply and demand issues. "

"As one might imagine, some of the most popular SUVs and crossovers, including the Honda CR-V, Subaru Outback, and the Toyota 4Runner, Highlander, and RAV4, are above average at retaining their values. Likewise with the upscale Mercedes-Benz G-Class and the Toyota Land Cruiser. But not all SUVs fare as well here. "

The data below as are the quotes above come from an article written in late 2019 so they do not list the Ascent which was a new model at the time, but the record is clear that Subarus do indeed hold their value better than most other vehicles.

You may also be interested in this new article from Kelly Blue Book on value retention. You will see that the data clearly indicates that Subarus are near the top retention vehicles on the market. The Ascent is listed at the top along with the other Subaru models.

Top 10 Vehicles Having The Lowest Five-Year Depreciation:

1. Jeep Wrangler (off-road SUV): 30 percent
  2. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (off-road SUV): 31.5 percent
  3. Toyota Tacoma (midsize pickup): 32.0 percent
  4. Toyota Tundra (full-size pickup): 35.9 percent
  5. Toyota 4Runner (midsize truck-based SUV): 36.5 percent
  6. Porsche 911 (sports car): 37.2 percent
  7. Honda Ridgeline (midsize pickup): 38.1 percent
  8. Nissan GT-R (sports car): 39.4 percent
  9. Nissan Frontier (midsize pickup): 39.5 percent
  10. Subaru WRX (sports car): 40.0 percent

Top 10 Vehicles Having The Highest Five-Year Depreciation:

1. Maserati Quattroporte (luxury car): 72.2 percent
  2. BMW 7 Series (luxury car): 71.3 percent
  3. Nissan Leaf (electric car): 71.0 percent
  4. BMW i3 (electric car): 70.9 percent
  5. BMW 5 Series (luxury car): 69.2 percent
  6. Acura RLX (luxury car): 69.2 percent
  7. Ford Fusion Energi (plug-in hybrid): 69.1 percent
  8. BMW 6 Series (luxury car): 69.0 percent
  9. Jaguar XJL (luxury car): 68.9 percent
  10. Chevrolet Volt (range-extending electric car): 68.1 percent
Burning Money: Vehicles That Depreciate The Fastest, and Those That Hold Onto Their Values Best

·
Registered
20 Posts
Misleading. After a year, the KBB price on an Ascent Premium is $24,5 in excellent condition. Seeing that most Premiums START at $35k, that doesn't sound too great to me. But, I'm one of the lemon owners that got the short end of the stick, so maybe that difference just doesn't add up for me and it does for you. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Misleading. After a year, the KBB price on an Ascent Premium is $24,5 in excellent condition. Seeing that most Premiums START at $35k, that doesn't sound too great to me. But, I'm one of the lemon owners that got the short end of the stick, so maybe that difference just doesn't add up for me and it does for you. Good luck with it.
taking a #10,000 depreciation on a vehicle is not fun but that is the reality for all vehicles (some more than others). I dare say that the Ford would not fare any better. Look at the percentages of five year depreciation to get a sense of what percentages can be expected. I do not know what your individual history was with your specific vehicle. It sounds as if you had a problem(s) that were not resolved to your satisfaction. You use the term lemon, but that term is a legal term in this context and in that case if your vehicle was determined to be a lemon, you would not have lost that money. If on the other hand you are using the term as a general term, that "lemon" is a matter of perspective and set of expectations of ownership.

·
Registered
20 Posts
taking a #10,000 depreciation on a vehicle is not fun but that is the reality for all vehicles (some more than others). I dare say that the Ford would not fare any better. Look at the percentages of five year depreciation to get a sense of what percentages can be expected. I do not know what your individual history was with your specific vehicle. It sounds as if you had a problem(s) that were not resolved to your satisfaction. You use the term lemon, but that term is a legal term in this context and in that case if your vehicle was determined to be a lemon, you would not have lost that money. If on the other hand you are using the term as a general term, that "lemon" is a matter of perspective and set of expectations of ownership.
You're right, it's not fun. What's worse is that we would've driven this vehicle until the wheels fell off, but I don't think it'll make it. By lemon, I mean it is not reliable. There are issues that they just haven't figured out yet. Much like the last update that made it's way around, I had already had it in trying to fix the timing issue. The update fixed it for a few weeks, so I know they were on the right track, but it went back to doing the same thing, getting worse with time. I'm not planning on driving a car hoping they figure out the next defects before I brake down in traffic. Ridiculous for a new car. So yes, I say it is a lemon because it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and is not worth our time or money, frankly. So yes, that is my perspective. As for expectations, I expect a new car that we pay dearly for to be reliable and enjoyable to drive. It was a "lemon" in both aspects. There will be some big update coming soon, I'm sure. Just not soon enough and I'm not willing to stick it out with the brand any further until they do and then hope they get it right THIS time. And yes, I had problems that were not resolved to my satisfaction because they were never resolved, period.

As for Ford, they have always been reliable, comfortable, and the service techs could fix our issues in a timely manner or would work hard to figure it out. We don't plan on having to turn this one in because we are confident, as per past experiences over 20 years with Ford vehicles, that this car will be worth our time and money and we can be confident in our safety. So, it really doesn't matter if it retains it's value because we don't plan on selling it. I always pay off my cars and keep them until their time is done. I don't car hop. Didn't plan on having to turn around and sell this one, but here we are with a "lemon" and no choice. That $7k trade we had was actually a 7.5-year-old Explorer, so with the damage and miles we had on it, I'd say that was actually pretty good.

But, to each his own. I just hate that other people may be duped like we were by all the Subaru fans. We did a lot of research and test drove a LOT of cars before deciding on the Subaru. We never imagined everything that we had heard and loved that made the decision for us was total BS. It may not be for everyone, but it definitely was in our case.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right, it's not fun. What's worse is that we would've driven this vehicle until the wheels fell off, but I don't think it'll make it. By lemon, I mean it is not reliable. There are issues that they just haven't figured out yet. Much like the last update that made it's way around, I had already had it in trying to fix the timing issue. The update fixed it for a few weeks, so I know they were on the right track, but it went back to doing the same thing, getting worse with time. I'm not planning on driving a car hoping they figure out the next defects before I brake down in traffic. Ridiculous for a new car. So yes, I say it is a lemon because it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and is not worth our time or money, frankly. So yes, that is my perspective. As for expectations, I expect a new car that we pay dearly for to be reliable and enjoyable to drive. It was a "lemon" in both aspects. There will be some big update coming soon, I'm sure. Just not soon enough and I'm not willing to stick it out with the brand any further until they do and then hope they get it right THIS time. And yes, I had problems that were not resolved to my satisfaction because they were never resolved, period.

As for Ford, they have always been reliable, comfortable, and the service techs could fix our issues in a timely manner or would work hard to figure it out. We don't plan on having to turn this one in because we are confident, as per past experiences over 20 years with Ford vehicles, that this car will be worth our time and money and we can be confident in our safety. So, it really doesn't matter if it retains it's value because we don't plan on selling it. I always pay off my cars and keep them until their time is done. I don't car hop. Didn't plan on having to turn around and sell this one, but here we are with a "lemon" and no choice. That $7k trade we had was actually a 7.5-year-old Explorer, so with the damage and miles we had on it, I'd say that was actually pretty good.

But, to each his own. I just hate that other people may be duped like we were by all the Subaru fans. We did a lot of research and test drove a LOT of cars before deciding on the Subaru. We never imagined everything that we had heard and loved that made the decision for us was total BS. It may not be for everyone, but it definitely was in our case.
I do not believe that anyone is being duped. My 2019 Ascent Limited was my first Subaru ever. In fact I had never even driven one. After I purchased my Ascent, my 17 year old son purchased a 2018 Impreza. My Ascent build date placed on the cusp of some issues that were readily resolved by the dealer under warranty. I have been very pleased overall and thoroughly have enjoyed driving the vehicle. Any updates or defective part replacements have worked as hoped for in my vehicle. In addition my dealer has to date been great and SOA came through for me as well. Apparently you for whatever reasons did not have that experience with your dealer or I assume SOA. If I had a vehicle that simply could not be fixed properly, I would have asked SOA to replace it. In fact this forum has had posters who have had that done for them. You have chosen a different route. My last new vehicle was a Ford that I had for over 20 years, so I have nothing to say about that brand per say, nor am I a zombie cheerleader for Subaru. I call them as I see them at the time based on my experience and research. Best of luck with the Ford.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I do not believe that anyone is being duped. My 2019 Ascent Limited was my first Subaru ever. In fact I had never even driven one. After I purchased my Ascent, my 17 year old son purchased a 2018 Impreza. My Ascent build date placed on the cusp of some issues that were readily resolved by the dealer under warranty. I have been very pleased overall and thoroughly have enjoyed driving the vehicle. Any updates or defective part replacements have worked as hoped for in my vehicle. In addition my dealer has to date been great and SOA came through for me as well. Apparently you for whatever reasons did not have that experience with your dealer or I assume SOA. If I had a vehicle that simply could not be fixed properly, I would have asked SOA to replace it. In fact this forum has had posters who have had that done for them. You have chosen a different route. My last new vehicle was a Ford that I had for over 20 years, so I have nothing to say about that brand per say, nor am I a zombie cheerleader for Subaru. I call them as I see them at the time based on my experience and research. Best of luck with the Ford.
I tried working with Subaru. I tried getting then to fix it, replace it, and eventually buy it back. They just basically said they couldn't find anything wrong so I was out of luck. Believe me, I've went around in circles with them for many months. I've contacted dealerships, Subaru, and anywhere else I could think of. I don't like being screwed around. I'm in Texas and our lemon laws are strict. Subaru assumes a female like me just can't handle a turbo engine, which results in my car jumping down the road like a teenager learning to drive a stick. I'm glad my experience doesn't seem to be true for everyone. I just hope I can save someone else from going through it.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried working with Subaru. I tried getting then to fix it, replace it, and eventually buy it back. They just basically said they couldn't find anything wrong so I was out of luck. Believe me, I've went around in circles with them for many months. I've contacted dealerships, Subaru, and anywhere else I could think of. I don't like being screwed around. I'm in Texas and our lemon laws are strict. Subaru assumes a female like me just can't handle a turbo engine, which results in my car jumping down the road like a teenager learning to drive a stick. I'm glad my experience doesn't seem to be true for everyone. I just hope I can save someone else from going through it.
Any time there is a concern with a vehicle the order of the day is to document, document, document. This may include witnesses, video, or an OBD. If you had a readout from an OBD covering the event, SOA would not have relied on "they could not reproduce" and you would have either gotten it repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any time there is a concern with a vehicle the order of the day is to document, document, document. This may include witnesses, video, or an OBD. If you had a readout from an OBD covering the event, SOA would not have relied on "they could not reproduce" and you would have either gotten it repaired or replaced.
So you're calling me a liar? A drama queen? Whatever the case, I assure you you would be as wrong as your assumptions above.... although, I do admire your naivete about the process. I agree, things should happen that way... but you are a fool if you believe that. I just hope you never have an issue with your beloved Subaru and get screwed over as we have. It might shatter that little PC bubble of yours.

They "could not reproduce the issues" is EXACTLY what they said time and again. In fact, the employee that spoke with us was extremely sorry because he knew we've had trouble with it from the start but without a detailed map pinpointing the problem, it's left on the consumer, not their problem.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you're calling me a liar? A drama queen? Whatever the case, I assure you you would be as wrong as your assumptions above.... although, I do admire your naivete about the process. I agree, things should happen that way... but you are a fool if you believe that. I just hope you never have an issue with your beloved Subaru and get screwed over as we have. It might shatter that little PC bubble of yours.

They "could not reproduce the issues" is EXACTLY what they said time and again. In fact, the employee that spoke with us was extremely sorry because he knew we've had trouble with it from the start but without a detailed map pinpointing the problem, it's left on the consumer, not their problem.
I am sorry you misunderstood my post. I am simply saying that SOA needs some way of documenting what has occurred beyond the customer's statements. The statements are a starting point not the ending point for them and any other manufacturer of autos. I have absolutely no doubt that they stated they could not reproduce the events you provided them. In lieu of SOA being able to reproduce the events directly they could rely on one or multiple data points that a customer could provide as I indicated above. The Subaru employee might have been more helpful if they suggested the OBD to record the events. I am very effective at dealing with companies in this regard and have a success record of well over 95% because I meet their requirements or find a work around that gets them to the same place. As I noted I have had issues with my Ascent and they were all well attended to by Subaru (in one instance I made a video of the issue occurring at the time because I knew they would need this to assist them moving the issue forward and finding a solution). In one instance I had an issue with my "Christmas lights" but could not get a video in time. I called them to get it on record but did not bring the car in until I could get the video since I noticed it was intermittent.

The point is the auto industry does not operate nor could it like LL Bean taking back merchandise simply on good will or someone's word. The diagnostics are complicated and costly and therefore require a protocol to be followed. If we demand a flat satisfaction replacement warranty then our vehicles would cost 5X as much.

Subaru has one of the best if not the best track records of taking care of customers' concerns, but they all operate on the same premise - they need to duplicate the concerns to move forward through focused diagnostics and a step by step repair protocol. This forum is filled with examples of owners with challenges that once the data points were identified were taken care of.

·
Registered
235 Posts
mandican stop the crap your spreading here... you had some problems too bad. We all do, I for one am tired of reading your one-sided posts. No one understands but you and now your attacking helpful members. You got rid of your car now your free. Perhaps it's time to leave this site. Your obviously here to bad mouth as much as you can, yet members are still trying to help you. Your attitude and replies are not being helpful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am sorry you misunderstood my post. I am simply saying that SOA needs some way of documenting what has occurred beyond the customer's statements. The statements are a starting point not the ending point for them and any other manufacturer of autos. I have absolutely no doubt that they stated they could not reproduce the events you provided them. In lieu of SOA being able to reproduce the events directly they could rely on one or multiple data points that a customer could provide as I indicated above. The Subaru employee might have been more helpful if they suggested the OBD to record the events. I am very effective at dealing with companies in this regard and have a success record of well over 95% because I meet their requirements or find a work around that gets them to the same place. As I noted I have had issues with my Ascent and they were all well attended to by Subaru (in one instance I made a video of the issue occurring at the time because I knew they would need this to assist them moving the issue forward and finding a solution). In one instance I had an issue with my "Christmas lights" but could not get a video in time. I called them to get it on record but did not bring the car in until I could get the video since I noticed it was intermittent.

The point is the auto industry does not operate nor could it like LL Bean taking back merchandise simply on good will or someone's word. The diagnostics are complicated and costly and therefore require a protocol to be followed. If we demand a flat satisfaction replacement warranty then our vehicles would cost 5X as much.

Subaru has one of the best if not the best track records of taking care of customers' concerns, but they all operate on the same premise - they need to duplicate the concerns to move forward through focused diagnostics and a step by step repair protocol. This forum is filled with examples of owners with challenges that once the data points were identified were taken care of.
That's where I have the issue. Subaru's "track record." I don't feel it's honest because I've spoken with many people with the same issues that are falling on deaf ears. It's unfortunate that if you can't tell them exactly where the issue is, what it is, and how to fix it, they are given the free and clear, while the consumer is stuck with a crappy car. Period. I have several other people that have experienced the issue in my car. The guy at the dealership even heard one of the noises I was referring to. My husband has driven the car and experienced the same thing. So what exactly are our rights supposed to be. I exhausted every avenue and many efforts into trying to get this fixed. I even waited it out the first two times they couldn't find the issue until the first recall, which did fix the issue temporarily. To me, that shows where the issue resides. What was even more baffling to me is that the issue I had told them about for months FINALLY had a recall. Great. Now, I'm just supposed to wait for the next recall to catch up again? It's a timing issue. If they can't feel it when they drive it, they didn't drive it enough. I can't believe they would say that all their cars drive this way. That's shooting themselves in the foot because it's horrible. I get it. It's expensive for the auto industry to have to fix every little thing; however, this is not little and it was VERY expensive for us. $20k in one year expensive. We could've traded in our previous car and had half the payments we have now on a car we could rely on. Instead we are having to trade in with negative equity on a car that "retains it's value" because it doesn't work. My family may not matter to Subaru, but they matter to me. I will take the hit and get us into a safe, reliable car, but I will not go quietly. I want other people to know about the issues before they read all the "Subaru is the best" blah, blah, blah, like I did...and think they are making the best decision. It cost us dearly and we didn't love anything about the experience...other than the people being nice at the dealership. Thanks for the hospitality. Not $20k worth, but...

·
Registered
20 Posts
mandican stop the crap your spreading here... you had some problems too bad. We all do, I for one am tired of reading your one-sided posts. No one understands but you and now your attacking helpful members. You got rid of your car now your free. Perhaps it's time to leave this site. Your obviously here to bad mouth as much as you can, yet members are still trying to help you. Your attitude and replies are not being helpful.
Oh yes, because all the one-sided posts FOR Subaru are really helpful. Don't like it, scroll on. I paid my way to speak my opinions and experience with my Ascent and if you look up above it says "AscentForums.com". It doesn't say "OnlyAscentLovers.Com." I'm not going away as long as I have something to say, so you might want to figure out how to block me. Free speech and all that. If I can keep one person from going through what I have, then I'll happily take your disapproval. Thanks for stopping by and being so "helpful." ;)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's where I have the issue. Subaru's "track record." I don't feel it's honest because I've spoken with many people with the same issues that are falling on deaf ears. It's unfortunate that if you can't tell them exactly where the issue is, what it is, and how to fix it, they are given the free and clear, while the consumer is stuck with a crappy car. Period. I have several other people that have experienced the issue in my car. The guy at the dealership even heard one of the noises I was referring to. My husband has driven the car and experienced the same thing. So what exactly are our rights supposed to be. I exhausted every avenue and many efforts into trying to get this fixed. I even waited it out the first two times they couldn't find the issue until the first recall, which did fix the issue temporarily. To me, that shows where the issue resides. What was even more baffling to me is that the issue I had told them about for months FINALLY had a recall. Great. Now, I'm just supposed to wait for the next recall to catch up again? It's a timing issue. If they can't feel it when they drive it, they didn't drive it enough. I can't believe they would say that all their cars drive this way. That's shooting themselves in the foot because it's horrible. I get it. It's expensive for the auto industry to have to fix every little thing; however, this is not little and it was VERY expensive for us. $20k in one year expensive. We could've traded in our previous car and had half the payments we have now on a car we could rely on. Instead we are having to trade in with negative equity on a car that "retains it's value" because it doesn't work. My family may not matter to Subaru, but they matter to me. I will take the hit and get us into a safe, reliable car, but I will not go quietly. I want other people to know about the issues before they read all the "Subaru is the best" blah, blah, blah, like I did...and think they are making the best decision. It cost us dearly and we didn't love anything about the experience...other than the people being nice at the dealership. Thanks for the hospitality. Not $20k worth, but...
Others n this forum have had similar experiences but have had them resolved because they provide additional data points. Any new auto model will take time for a manufacturer to learn of parts or compatibility issues. They themselves work very hard to gather the data points from all their customers and dealers in order to identify common issues and develop fixes whether it be replacing/redesign a part or a software update or both. I'm sorry, it simply doesn't sound like you provided them with those useful data points. I recall one poster who had an issue that like yours was not duplicated by the technician until he got the manager to go on a ride with the owner driving. Instead of the technician driving easily on the road, the owner took the vehicle through its paces and sure enough that issue was coming up over and over again throughout the drive. That driver knew when these issues occurred and made certain that the manager experienced them as well. It certainly sounds to me that for you the experience did not provide the value you expected. For many owners despite issues that arose we have found great value. I have just over 25000 miles on my one year old Ascent and love it. I have had my share of warranty items just like many other owners. My dealer put me in a Ascent loaner and they took care of all of them to date, even the updates the service rep had not yet heard about, but I knew through this forum.

The 2019 Ford Explorer has had one recall and 60 consumer communications including two structural (B-pillar), multiple engine concerns, electrical, power train, software updates for brakes and many other areas to long to list here. these are complicated technology and involve thousands of parts made by hundreds of different manufactures. When you purchase one of these beasts, regardless of the manufacturer, you need to expect that these issues will arise.

The 2020 Ford Explorer is listed having four recalls at NHTSA website. These include fuel leaks, wiring harnesses, seat back strength (which as I recall was also an issue in 2019 for this model), missing parts that kept the vehicle in factory mode allowing it to simply roll away.

You have your personal experience which I do not doubt, but the hard data from many thousands of owners over many years suggest a different overall experience with reliability, retained value and SOA warranty support.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Again, you are wrong. It sounds great in a fancy, in-depth package, but I have also been through the forums for almost a year now. I am very well aware of the issues others have had and I'm also aware that a very small number get them resolved. You spin it in favor, I spin it in the other direction. I do not appreciate your assumptions that you know how the whole of Subaru works and they would never overlook a problem or customer or to imply that I haven't done my due diligence in trying to pinpoint the problem. I will agree with you that the value is not there for me. By far. I feel duped. Since you don't know me, you will never know the time and effort I have put into working through these problems. You will never know that I'm not one to just hastily react on a whim. It's great for those of you who have had great experiences; however, continuing to belittle or pick it apart and make baseless assumptions because "Subaru would never" are not based on facts, but feelings. It's not helpful. I know the facts of what I've been through. I know how many times I've had my car in for servicing. I know how many Subaru "experts" I have spoken with. I also know the underhanded things some of these "experts" have shared with me, but I won't throw them under the bus. Just suffice it to say, not everyone shares your unwavering faith in the company...even their own employees.

As for the Ford recalls, the difference is I have confidence in their service techs and willingness to fix issues or make their customers happy. They always have. They have a proven track record for me, personally, which I know realize is more valuable than I ever could have imagined. It is beyond frustrating to know that there is an issue with the car I invested in that could probably easily be fixed with a timing adjustment...but finding knowledgeable technicians to fix it isn't easy and now I'm left with "I'm so sorry, but we couldn't recreate the problem." If we're talking about a bicycle that's one thing. It's not acceptable for a $40k car. I'm not nitpicking. This is an issue with the SAFETY and RELIABILITY of a car we bought mainly because we heard about their SAFETY and RELIABILITY. You cannot claim that "hard data from many thousands of owners" to mean anything other than more opinions. Where are the statistics on the countless owners who are fed up? We somehow get silenced. How do you explain the $13,500 depreciation in just a year for a car in "like new" condition? That wasn't just MY car. That's the Ascent, in general.

I'm pretty sure I've said all I'm going to here before I move on to make other potential buyers aware. It's becoming redundant. I've stated the facts of what I am living and my experience. No matter how you want to chime in on your faith in the brand or the "hard data" that isn't so hard...that doesn't change the fact that I am having to sell my Ascent at a fraction of the cost and that I have literally invested $20k into a car that I now have to get rid of because it is unsafe and has issues that the company cannot identify. If it irritates you all to hear my irritation, just remember my irritation is coming from a HUGE loss and the disappointment in a car I initially invested in because I loved it and was sure it was going to be as fabulous as "everyone" said it was.

Those are my facts. One more fact is that no matter how much you love yours, it's not going to fix mine or shed a positive light on this company. Mark my words, there's another big recall coming and I wouldn't be surprised if it's your transmissions. But, I just hope it doesn't cause any accidents in the meantime until they figure it out. Good luck with your Ascents. I truly hope no one else has to go through what I have.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again, you are wrong. It sounds great in a fancy, in-depth package, but I have also been through the forums for almost a year now. I am very well aware of the issues others have had and I'm also aware that a very small number get them resolved. You spin it in favor, I spin it in the other direction. I do not appreciate your assumptions that you know how the whole of Subaru works and they would never overlook a problem or customer or to imply that I haven't done my due diligence in trying to pinpoint the problem. I will agree with you that the value is not there for me. By far. I feel duped. Since you don't know me, you will never know the time and effort I have put into working through these problems. You will never know that I'm not one to just hastily react on a whim. It's great for those of you who have had great experiences; however, continuing to belittle or pick it apart and make baseless assumptions because "Subaru would never" are not based on facts, but feelings. It's not helpful. I know the facts of what I've been through. I know how many times I've had my car in for servicing. I know how many Subaru "experts" I have spoken with. I also know the underhanded things some of these "experts" have shared with me, but I won't throw them under the bus. Just suffice it to say, not everyone shares your unwavering faith in the company...even their own employees.

As for the Ford recalls, the difference is I have confidence in their service techs and willingness to fix issues or make their customers happy. They always have. They have a proven track record for me, personally, which I know realize is more valuable than I ever could have imagined. It is beyond frustrating to know that there is an issue with the car I invested in that could probably easily be fixed with a timing adjustment...but finding knowledgeable technicians to fix it isn't easy and now I'm left with "I'm so sorry, but we couldn't recreate the problem." If we're talking about a bicycle that's one thing. It's not acceptable for a $40k car. I'm not nitpicking. This is an issue with the SAFETY and RELIABILITY of a car we bought mainly because we heard about their SAFETY and RELIABILITY. You cannot claim that "hard data from many thousands of owners" to mean anything other than more opinions. Where are the statistics on the countless owners who are fed up? We somehow get silenced. How do you explain the $13,500 depreciation in just a year for a car in "like new" condition? That wasn't just MY car. That's the Ascent, in general.

I'm pretty sure I've said all I'm going to here before I move on to make other potential buyers aware. It's becoming redundant. I've stated the facts of what I am living and my experience. No matter how you want to chime in on your faith in the brand or the "hard data" that isn't so hard...that doesn't change the fact that I am having to sell my Ascent at a fraction of the cost and that I have literally invested $20k into a car that I now have to get rid of because it is unsafe and has issues that the company cannot identify. If it irritates you all to hear my irritation, just remember my irritation is coming from a HUGE loss and the disappointment in a car I initially invested in because I loved it and was sure it was going to be as fabulous as "everyone" said it was.

Those are my facts. One more fact is that no matter how much you love yours, it's not going to fix mine or shed a positive light on this company. Mark my words, there's another big recall coming and I wouldn't be surprised if it's your transmissions. But, I just hope it doesn't cause any accidents in the meantime until they figure it out. Good luck with your Ascents. I truly hope no one else has to go through what I have.
I have taken the time to review your prior post and found that about one month ago I suggested you capture your experience with a camera and or a OBD since you stated at that time they could not recreate what you stated was occuring at specific speeds virtually all the time (Robert who is much more of a car person than I concurred). I expected after that that you would have taken the tech for a drive with you driving to recreate what you state occurs all the time and or install a OBD if the drive came up blank. Since you also stated you are not a car person I would have hoped that you would have taken some advice from the forum posters. In addition you could have taken the vehicle to an independent shop with a great reputaion to complete a test drive and write up their assessment and observations. You could have repeated this with two or three general repair shops to offer Subaruy a counter professional perspective. None of your posts indicate you followed up with any of this advice.

Why do you think that they could not recreate the experience while you experienced the lurching virtually all the time in those speed ranges? Your posts never provided us forum readers with any more detail other than your understandable frustration. This has been my focus. Even your recent post indicates how much time you spent on this issue but I do not see how the effort incorporated an effective strategy to assist SOA in helping you.

I do not live in Texas but I am familiar with Texas Lemon Law and with those types of documents and OBD evidence supporting your claim, you wouild have been covered if Subaru declined to complete the repair. In addition, you had the option of filing under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which you apparently chose not to pursue.

I offer these comments and observations not so much for your benefit since you have made your perspective well known and you have moved on but to others who find themselves in similar situations even if with a different technical issue and in fact regardless of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Seems there is always a moron trying to cause trouble somewhere. When everyone is wrong except the poster you know where it's going. People like this cannot be helped. If you look above it also doesn't say ascent forums for morons so move on cause you'll get no sympathy here.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Getting back to the original topic, unfortunately, in this current climate, trade ins are likely to be lowballed as there isn't demand for new or used cars at this point.
In general, Subarus are known to have great resale value, the problem is that any asset/liability, not just cars, is only worth what somebody's willing to pay for it (regardless of what some guide or professionals says), and right now that's less than it would probably be in better economic conditions. I always kind of cringe when somebody tells me their house has 'doubled' in value since they purchased it, because that's only on paper, and it doesn't necessarily mean that's what you're going to get when you sell it. The only time you'll ever truly know what your house is worth, is when you sell it and have an accepted offer in hand ( Although the paper appreciation might come in useful if you have to borrow against the value of the house, but if I had to borrow against my house for something, I would skip that particular purchase).
I often use the term crap shoot when it comes to reliability or the luck you're going to have with things, and I think it applies to resale value on items as well. You never really know what you're going to get for a particular item, until you sell it.

Sounds like the poster above had one heck of a time with her/his particular car ( I've been fortunate, I've had very few problems the past couple of months, after a rather trying first year), and unfortunately (s)he didn't get what they were hoping for on their trade-in. Hopefully their new purchase will work out better for them, and it will be smooth sailing ahead.

·
Registered
167 Posts

an observation. You’ve obviously run course with a Subaru dealership to no satisfaction.... and detest Subaru as much as COVID-19....which is understandable given you level of frustration. So. You’ve made the decision to return to a brand of 20-years experience and putting Subaru in the rear view mirror. Unfortunately, trade-in value is not the same as resale value AND when you express your dissatisfaction about the Subaru while during the new Saale, you are putting yourself to a disadvantage deal-wise. Some sales people, sensing a customer is desperate to get out from under a bad situation at any cost, will take advantage of the Custer and sit on a less than favorable trade value. it sounds like that has happened.

Anticipate your new ride in the comfort of a brand you are familiar and focus on that.... grinding an ax to have the last word on how Subaru did you wrong serves no real purpose.
some people have similar experiences like you and many have not. They are satisfied and you are not.... and moved on. That’s commonly referred to the marketplace.

all the best and enjoy the new ride.

PS. FWIW.... forums are not public. There are private entities with public access of which invite you in under certain terms and conditions. “Free Speech” does not apply. just like going to a Mall which is private property with certain codes of conduct that everyone must abide....their security can escort you out for any reason. Just cuz a Forumor a Mall allows a public gathering, both are private spaces.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts