Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm a new member here so please be patient if I break protocol.

I'm getting familiar with our new Ascent's systems and operation. I have an Android phone and once I disabled wireless access on Android Auto, and added the Ascent as a trusted device, it really works well.

One question I have is with regards to voice commands. When I press the voice command button on the steering while, I only get my phone when it's plugged in to the USB hub. I'm used to a short press getting the cars voice commands, and long press getting the phone commands. But now matter what I do, I can only get the phone when it's plugged in.

Is that the expected behavior? From looking at the manual, it looks like I should be able to talk to either with the right button sequence.

Thx in advance for any advice you can share.

·
Administrator
10,956 Posts
AFAIK, no one has gotten the HK head unit to act like that (dual mode) with Android Auto. Hoping to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have not been able to enact anything via voice commands other than Android when the phone is plugged in. It seems to overtake everything. And if my wife plugs in her iPhone afterward it goes into CarPlay. My other car stays with Android if I plug that in first.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AFAIK, no one has gotten the HK head unit to act like that (dual mode) with Android Auto. Hoping to be proven wrong.
You will not be proven wrong by me today 😉
Subaru America confirmed what is probably general knowledge on this forum. You have access to only one voice assistant at a time in this order, iPhone, Android device then the car's voice assistant. I just wanted them to admit it in writing 😂

·
Administrator
10,956 Posts
It's an Apple requirement, IIRC.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, maybe!

Could also just be a design artifact of the software's evolution and not a design objective. In other words, clumsy with no real intent, but I don't know. There are plenty of examples of cars where this precedence order is not observed (Reddit).

Regardless, the behavior is reliable and predictable and that matters. Knowing that, one can adapt.

Funny thing, Subaru could have saved money, forum shaming and annoying emails from smart alecks by simply providing a single port up front or making one of the two ports just a power supply like those on the rear console. People would easily get that arrangement and it would make all ports useful.

But... not allowing hands free access to the car's voice commands with a mobile device is plugged in, is arguably a safety issue you'd think Subaru would want to address, IMHO. They often hang their hat on "safety first"...

·
Administrator
10,956 Posts
Funny thing, Subaru could have saved money, forum shaming and annoying emails from smart alecks by simply providing a single port up front or making one of the two ports just a power supply like those on the rear console. People would easily get that arrangement and it would make all ports useful.

I use port 2 for my USB media, so, I like the dual ports. They'd lose this one, either way, lol. My best friend is an iPhone guy (and works for Apple for years). He plugs into the center console. It's technically closer to him, anyway.

·
Administrator
10,956 Posts
Someone installed a quick charge port in place of one of the regulars, I forget if they posted about it here or in the FB group I'm in. It's pretty easy, obviously. I considered doing a QC side port for the passenger (and for the copious amount of gear I charge via USB). It's just not high up on my priorities list.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Someone installed a quick charge port in place of one of the regulars...
I'd be interested if you happen to run across that post :) In my use case, my wife and I battle over the front ports since I'm an Android user and she's an iPhone user. Neither of us plug in a Media stick, but you've got me thinking now.

We solved our most pressing case by plugging hers into the back of the console most of the time, then moving to the front port when she's driving. Just a little easier to switch the cables up front.

·
Administrator
10,956 Posts
I plan on using something like this, on the side panel. I haven't yet picked one (reading reviews when it's time for this project), hence, no direct link.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, that would work, and just mount it to the side of the trim panel? Or better yet, inside the center console, there's cable guides already notched at the front edge.

·
Administrator
10,956 Posts
Or, I am considering one like this with 2 dumb ports for my dumber chargers.

Not yet decided on which route I will go.

·
Administrator
10,956 Posts
Yeah, that would work, and just mount it to the side of the trim panel?
Yep, behind the tray (frontwards of where the tray is, in the side panel). There's a big empty space behind the tray under the passenger panel.

EDIT:
I am likely getting this one, for those few of my devices that use a 12VDC cigarette lighter socket. Covers two USB 3.0 QC3 ports, plus 12VDC accessory socket

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have six months to learn how to do this before our next migration. I hadn't considered simply adding another port. I'm not knowledgeable about car electronics, but the information is out there to figure it out.

·
Administrator
10,956 Posts
This one is really easy. Pop into a fuse blank, or run it to power, run the wires behind the lower part of the dash, and across to that panel. Drill a hole or two, and pop in the outlets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a USB data blocker for my wife's iPhone when I have my android phone plugged in. I also use them at airports, hotels, public USB charging ports,etc..( they can be used to capture your phone data by bad guys if your phone cable is plugged directly into airport USB chargers, etc.) It charges the device but the data wire is disconnected so it won't fire up Apple carplay if I am already plugged in. you can find them on Amazon or other places or similar items. Works great . I brought several and keep in the car and my laptop and travel bags. Plug one of this into the car USB front port and then plug the iPhone cable into that. The phone will charge but not send data to the USB port
PortaPow 3rd Gen USB Data Blocker 2 for $9.99

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
That will solve the immediate issue I think, thank you!

I'm still considering adding a 12V or dual 12V/USB port on the trim panel in the passenger footwell. That would be a nice place to plug in a fast USB-C charger for my Android device when my wife is driving and using Car play. USB-A to C cables won't fast charge my phone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts