Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealer #2 agreed to honor the 15% off Costco Auto coupon so I'm getting the hitch installed Wednesday. Should come to $471.50 out the door after parts, labor, tax, and shop fees. Worth the peace of mind to me knowing that it should be done correctly, and not having to worry about getting the car put back together the right way if I tried to do it myself.
Plus, you should get a warranty on it when the dealer installs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought a 2020 Touring last weekend and I was considering getting the trailer hitch installed. I've watched the install videos and I personally don't feel comfortable trying to install it myself.

What does everyone think would be a current (April 2020) reasonable price all in for a local dealer to install the trailer hitch?

So far, one dealer has quoted $306 for the part and $418.50 for the labor, for a total of $749.74 after tax. I've emailed a couple of other dealers to see what they say.
Go to E trailer https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Subaru/Ascent/2020/76253.html?VehicleID=202079202 $183.35 watch the install video . took me about an hour or less . looks complicated but easy. I cut the cover out to clear hook ups and reinstalled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought a 2020 Touring last weekend and I was considering getting the trailer hitch installed. I've watched the install videos and I personally don't feel comfortable trying to install it myself.

What does everyone think would be a current (April 2020) reasonable price all in for a local dealer to install the trailer hitch?

So far, one dealer has quoted $306 for the part and $418.50 for the labor, for a total of $749.74 after tax. I've emailed a couple of other dealers to see what they say.
I had the tow hitch installed at purchase and really tried to get them to give me a deal, the best I could get was six hundred and change.....in Mobile Alabama.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,743 Posts
Unfortunately, the only way to get the "best price" for the hitch receiver and wiring is to either factory order a vehicle with it port installed or to find one that came in that way on a lot. Few if any of the latter exist, I suspect. (I always factory order anyway)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I had the tow hitch installed at purchase and really tried to get them to give me a deal, the best I could get was six hundred and change.....in Mobile Alabama.
at purchase time but did Subaru install it or the dealer. I spend hundreds less with Subaru installing it (Denver).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone find a reasonable place for installation in the Bay Area? Prices on the part were typically around $350 and labor ranged from $450 to $660 (Carlsen being the lowest and Putnam the highest).

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
those prices are outrageous and I would never pay them. I understand that it is the bay area but the labor rate per hour could not possibly be that much more. they are not working on a freaking missile defense system! :rolleyes:

poster skip above completed the install in one hour (no special tools required). Now you tell me why they should charge $450 or $660 for one hours work? Tell them if they want your service for the vehicle for mainentance and other repairs they will complete this install for $160. If they say no tell them to pound sand. If the service manager says no then they are not a dealership that is interested in a relationship, but more like a one night stand (and not a fun one for both partners at that).

Granted my install was from Subaru manufacturing but I paid $374 for labor AND material. I assure you they are not losing money even at that price.

Poster native txn above says they paid $127.50 for the labor which is in line for one hour labor. Your labor rate in the bay area should not be more than $200/hr (the rate should be far less than $200).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have no intention of paying that rate. I found the part online for ~$300 shipped. I'm going to try my neighborhood mechanic. We usually have him work on our older cars, but probably worth it in this case.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have no intention of paying that rate. I found the part online for ~$300 shipped. I'm going to try my neighborhood mechanic. We usually have him work on our older cars, but probably worth it in this case.
I believe someone posted a video of the install.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Our local guy quoted $220. Still not great, but fine. Sent him the video. Thanks
If you have a high degree of confidence and trust in him, you might consider paying by the hour. He is probably quoting you that price to cover the unknown since he has never done it before. With the video install in hand he can probably complete the task in about one hour. Given his labor rate is probably just shy of $100 you might expect to pay $150. If you do not want to take any risk and the additional cost is not too much for you then go for it at $220. Sometimes the potential extra savings is just not worth the effort. This is up to you.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Between watching the vid and reading the instructions, that's $100 right there.
Are you suggesting that owners should pay for their mechanics learning curve? If the mechanic does not know how to proceed beyond a general knowledge then maybe they should lower their rate for this specific task until they become proficient at it. If they are charging $110/hr for the work they have expertise with why should they charge the same hourly rate for the work they are beginners?

Charging a flat rate of course is an alternative which OP presented, in which case the hourly rate does not matter. The final price is either acceptable to the owner or it is not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not worried about my local guy. He's pretty reasonable and reputable.

For those who bought the etrailer version, did it include the little screws to be able to easily remove and replace the bumper covering over the hitch?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'm not worried about my local guy. He's pretty reasonable and reputable.

For those who bought the etrailer version, did it include the little screws to be able to easily remove and replace the bumper covering over the hitch?
I am not familiar with a etrailer version. Please clarify. I had the manufacturer install the hitch. The area of the bumper cover near the hitch comes out and there are screws provided to resecure the cover when hitch is not in use (and you do not want to see it).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I was asking about the screws and if they are in the etrailer version since its quite a bit less expensive. Thank you for all of the advice!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,743 Posts
Yes, I was asking about the screws and if they are in the etrailer version since its quite a bit less expensive. Thank you for all of the advice!
It's also not integrated to the vehicle like the OEM hitch is...the OEM hitch receiver has components that slip into the subframe/frame rails. It's not just a bolt-on. The turnbuckles for the removable hitch cover need to be purchased from Subaru.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's also not integrated to the vehicle like the OEM hitch is...the OEM hitch receiver has components that slip into the subframe/frame rails. It's not just a bolt-on. The turnbuckles for the removable hitch cover need to be purchased from Subaru.
Thank you. Are the turnbuckles included in the OEM hitch kit?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts