Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2020 Touring last weekend and I was considering getting the trailer hitch installed. I've watched the install videos and I personally don't feel comfortable trying to install it myself.

What does everyone think would be a current (April 2020) reasonable price all in for a local dealer to install the trailer hitch?

So far, one dealer has quoted $306 for the part and $418.50 for the labor, for a total of $749.74 after tax. I've emailed a couple of other dealers to see what they say.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Definitely, your quote was $260 less than my quote from our dealer. They did offer to do it off book in cash to the tech for much less.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
We just bought a 2020 Touring last weekend and I was considering getting the trailer hitch installed. I've watched the install videos and I personally don't feel comfortable trying to install it myself.

What does everyone think would be a current (April 2020) reasonable price all in for a local dealer to install the trailer hitch?

So far, one dealer has quoted $306 for the part and $418.50 for the labor, for a total of $749.74 after tax. I've emailed a couple of other dealers to see what they say.
Way too much

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Way too much
I feel like the price on the hitch itself is fine, but labor seemed like a lot (even though I know it can apparently take a couple of hours).

I've seen where you can buy it on Amazon and buy the installation for $150, but I don't know anything about their "professional installation." I'm sure it would be fine, as it is through a shop in Dallas (though I'd rather do it through one of their locations that is about 25 miles closer to me, but not sure if you can choose through the Amazon installation).

In your opinion, what would be a reasonable all in price?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It should be similar to the cost of the manufacturer install. I had it done at the factory, but the process is the same. I would need to look, but I think I paid less than $500 for Labor & material.

Update: I paid $374 labor and material

·
Registered
711 Posts
$418 is what my dealer quoted for the install labor. I'm guessing that's the "book" number which can depend on where you live. Due to some documented miscommunication (texts) during the purchase process for the Ascent, I wound up paying $490 for the hitch and installation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It should be similar to the cost of the manufacturer install. I had it done at the factory, but the process is the same. I would need to look, but I think I paid less than $500 for Labor & material.
Yeah, I was thinking that $600 or less would be reasonable. It looks like when you "build" an Ascent on Subaru's site, it lists the hitch at $499.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had another dealer quote $360 for the hitch and $127.50 for the labor. So, much more in line with what I was thinking/hoping for.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,742 Posts
For factory/port install, there is no added labor charge for the hitch receiver and wiring...it's just the accessory part(s) at whatever price you negotiate it in your deal. Aftermarket, the dealer is going to charge for time and rates are what they are. Some dealers, however, seem to be very proud of the amount of time and what their rate is for that time compared to others.

·
Registered
49 Posts

I bought the part for like 309 and I talked it myself after my dealer was quoting me 387 to install it. If you have the tools it’s very simple to do

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I bought the part for like 309 and I talked it myself after my dealer was quoting me 387 to install it. If you have the tools it’s very simple to do
I already have one installed, but I am curious as to how long the install took you (since this was your first go at it) ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer #2 agreed to honor the 15% off Costco Auto coupon so I'm getting the hitch installed Wednesday. Should come to $471.50 out the door after parts, labor, tax, and shop fees. Worth the peace of mind to me knowing that it should be done correctly, and not having to worry about getting the car put back together the right way if I tried to do it myself.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's a reasonable price. I was pricing the complete price for a Honda Pilot hitch last year and it came to $2800 from the dealer (it also included the install of a transmission cooler). in Canadian dollars... Honda is crazy with their hitch pricing. It makes no sense.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
7 Posts

I did the after market Drawtite hitch for $330 (all in) (4/17/20). I watched all the videos and the OEM part seemed no different than the aftermarket given what I play to use the hitch for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did the after market Drawtite hitch for $330 (all in) (4/17/20). I watched all the videos and the OEM part seemed no different than the aftermarket given what I play to use the hitch for.
Nice. I got it installed today.

They honored a 15% off parts coupon from Costco Auto, even though it specified a different dealer, so the hitch itself was $306. Labor, tax, and shop supplies bought the out the door total to just over $471. So, while I am confident I could have figured it out myself, the labor and shop supply costs were well worth not potentially screwing something up. Best part is that I was able to get some work done in the A/C and I was in and out in 1 hour (when they originally said it would probably take 2 hours).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the 2019 Touring and had the OEM (updated L101SXC004) hitch put on at my Nor Cal dealer in January 2020. The hitch was $360 and the labor $447.50. There is no ball attached. I haven't used it yet. I think it looks great when it's covered.
20200106_SEAVER.S9+_0187-1.jpg 20200106_SEAVER.S9+_0188-1.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the 2019 Touring and had the OEM (updated L101SXC004) hitch put on at my Nor Cal dealer in January 2020. The hitch was $360 and the labor $447.50. There is no ball attached. I haven't used it yet. I think it looks great when it's covered. View attachment 3826 View attachment 3827 View attachment 3826 View attachment 3827
Th dealer I bought the car from quoted me $306 for the hitch and $418 or so for labor. A dealer about 10 minutes further away honored the $306 and quoted labor at about $127. Told the original dealer and they never replied trying to match or anything so I went with the lower priced dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,742 Posts
I watched all the videos and the OEM part seemed no different than the aftermarket given what I play to use the hitch for.
As has been discussed it detail here in the forums...they are not the same. The OEM hitch receiver integrates with the Ascent's subframe in a way that all but one third party hitch does not. But that's less impactful for non-towing applications.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts