Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I haven't noticed a mention of this recently released inaugural J.D. Power Brand Loyalty on ascent forums.com, I thought I'd add this post for those who are considering purchasing an Ascent or other Subaru: https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2019-us-automotive-brand-loyalty-study. Maybe I missed mention of this survey on the Ascent forum as it was released about two weeks ago on July 16, 2019.

I know there are so many J.D. Power rankings, that most brands can point to some J.D. Power survey where any particular brand does well. However, this survey appears straightforward -- they tracked what brand people traded when buying or leasing a new car. Subaru showed the highest loyalty of any brand with over 61% of buyers who traded in a Subaru purchasing another Subaru. Toyota and Honda were second and third in brand loyalty.

We love our new 2091 Ascent and it's our eighth Subaru since 1985. This J.D. Power Brand Loyalty survey confirms that there is indeed a loyal bunch of Subaru owners.

·
Registered
682 Posts
^ Seriously! :D

I am glad to see, though, that both Subaru as well as the Ascent made it to 2091.

And I'm impressed also that IndieSubieFan's family is only on their 8th Subaru between 1985 and 2091. That's well over 13 years of service-live per vehicle!

------

OK, in all seriousness, our family as well as that of my in-law's have proudly contributed to the above figures. We're on our 9th Subaru since 2005 (we're a leasing family), and that number increases to 13 when my MIL/FIL are factored-in, having each had two Legacys in a row. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J.D Power is meaningless. Pay to play.
Yes, a healthy skepticism is probably a good idea for all the many varieties of J.D. Power reports.

However, for the J.D. Power press release on brand loyalty, it states: "Using data from the Power Information Network, the study calculates whether an owner purchased the same brand after trading in an existing vehicle on a new vehicle purchase or lease. Customer loyalty is based on the percentage of vehicle owners who choose the same brand when trading in or purchasing their next vehicle. The 2019 U.S. Automotive Brand Loyalty Study calculations are based on transaction data from June 2018 through May 2019 and include all model years traded in."

It doesn't state what data are contained in the Power Information Network. However, the brand loyalty calculation appears to be straightforward and should be reliable unless there is bias in the data collected in their Power Information Network.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
I am glad to see, though, that both Subaru as well as the Ascent made it to 2091.
Fellow Time Traveler: "Hey Indi, let's go back to 2019 and change the front cup holder design drawings to make them Really Big!"

Indi: "Great idea! Let's do this! Har, Har, Har..."

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, a healthy skepticism is probably a good idea for all the many varieties of J.D. Power reports.

However, for the J.D. Power press release on brand loyalty, it states: "Using data from the Power Information Network, the study calculates whether an owner purchased the same brand after trading in an existing vehicle on a new vehicle purchase or lease. Customer loyalty is based on the percentage of vehicle owners who choose the same brand when trading in or purchasing their next vehicle. The 2019 U.S. Automotive Brand Loyalty Study calculations are based on transaction data from June 2018 through May 2019 and include all model years traded in."

It doesn't state what data are contained in the Power Information Network. However, the brand loyalty calculation appears to be straightforward and should be reliable unless there is bias in the data collected in their Power Information Network.
Companies pay J.D. Power for the rights to advertise the award. That's all you need to know. Major bias.

·
Registered
682 Posts
^ But how does this affect the stats of those who return to purchase/lease that brand's vehicles?

A company can't pay J.D.Power to make them the brand leading the owner-loyalty category if their numbers don't support that, right?

Or are the companies simply bidding/competing for certain categories?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nah, JD Power is legit and one of the most respected orgs in the industry. In every survey there are way more losers than winners, right? I used to live around the globe and watched with interest the JD Power rankings in Europe where there are many more brands. Same losers year after year (Land Rover, Jaguar, Fiat, etc.) And similar winners (Toyota, Honda etc.) and movement in the middle. Subie folks just suffer from sour grapes. Subaru doesn't do poorly on JD Power rankings, they just do average - and can't seem to improve. Even Tom Doll, our big Subaru head honcho in the US stated his goals were to improve quality in order to raise in the JD Power scores. Subaru freely admits, that their number of issues per 100 cars is too much and are working with suppliers of parts, employees building the cars - to catch issues before they get to the consumer and more. Bottom line. JD Power is valuable to for manufacturers to quantify success and areas of needed improvement as well. They survey the crap out of consumers, mine the data, crunch the numbers and note both trends and draw conclusions. Not one manufacturer will state otherwise.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nah, JD Power is legit and one of the most respected orgs in the industry.
You know car companies pay Power upwards of $250k a pop for the right to tout their awards, right? Think about it. If my company makes money selling the rights to positive reviews (nobody is going to buy the negative ones) what is the motivation for writing bad ones? They will limit those as much as possible. Kind of like their absurd "initial quality" awards. This is why the reputation of Power awards is next to zero.

·
Registered
682 Posts
^ But again, a company can't pay J.D.Power to make them the brand leading the owner-loyalty category if their numbers simply don't support that, right?

Or are the companies simply bidding/competing for certain categories?

I understand that it's pay-to-play: that the automaker has gotta pay J.D. Powers in order to use their symbol/branding, and only then are they able to "suggest," via this data, that their brand is tops in whatever category.

But for this specific category, what you're suggesting here, scipio11111, is that Subaru has "bought" that claim? That maybe Subaru was simply willing to pay more for this claim than another brand, right?

·
Registered
148 Posts
^
But for this specific category, what you're suggesting here, scipio11111, is that Subaru has "bought" that claim? That maybe Subaru was simply willing to pay more for this claim than another brand, right?
It's never so black and white. I would suggest that JD Power does everything in their "power" to tailor their results to what they assume the market desires and who has the deepest pockets, otherwise they'd go out of business. Far better to trust a not-for-profit in this regard.

·
Registered
682 Posts
So they're doctoring their data - juking the stats?

If so, wouldn't the other manufacturers complain? Or perhaps their paid membership comes with a clause that allows J.D.Powers to mediate/arbitrate as to who gets what, so that everyone gets a piece, and a piece that they most deserve or need, for that matter, in order to better their sales in the coming year?

·
Registered
682 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My guess is that they would make enough categories that everyone could get a taste of that sweet, sweet marketing goodness.
One person I know, who is familiar with type of stuff, says that certain manufacturers are invited to particular events where only a handful of nameplates are present. Much easier to win an award when there are only two or three manufacturers represented.

·
Registered
682 Posts
^ That would make sense as well - it'd be an easy way to stack things in-favor.

That said, for this particular ranking, there's a lot of participants!

·
Registered
682 Posts
^ But understand that any can have pitfalls.

Case-in-point: Consumer Reports' tire articles and recommendations were laughable until just the last 5 years, with enthusiasts routinely pointing out their shortcomings, with many for-profit overseas sources providing much better (quantity as well as quality) information.

No one single source is perfect - always dissect the data and look underneath the skin.

With the for-profit/vested-interest sources, understand where and how such conflicts may -or may not- exist.

Modern consumers should realize that nothing is simple these days, and that it pays to be an educated consumer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.