Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to purchase one of the two boxes. Appears that both have similar specs. Does anyone own either box and can share their option or reason for choosing one over the other?

Thank you!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I own the Motion XT XL, which is nearly identical to the Force except for the slide lock mechanism. Works great, no noise or vibrations, and Ok with mpg (I got 21.5 mpg at 80/85 mph). Space inside is good, fits the car well, no issues with opening the hatch or anything like that.
The car height with the box is 7 ft and 2 inches, so it doesn't go through a 7 ft garage door.
Other than that small nuisance, can't go wrong with that one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Greetings,
I seem to recall that the "extended" referred to increased length to accommodate skis. Since the Force XT XL is almost the same length, and the other dimensions are similar), I think you can't go wrong either way.

Like NotAClunker, I bought a Motion XT. (Though mine is a large instead of the XL.) I think it's worth the extra money (compared to the ForceXT) for my situation. Any of them should be super easy to take on and off with the Quick-Grip mounting system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have the Force XT XL and have driven across the country and back (literally) with no issues. I would echo "Notaclunker" with the MPG, about 21-ish, which isn't bad considering the air drag. We looked at the Motion vs the Force when we were shopping and the ONLY difference is the slide locking system which ups the cost by $150. We didn't think it was worth that much extra for that style locking mechanism. $50 more? Maybe. Otherwise they share the same specs space wise. The web site says that the slide lock can operate independently of the opening latch. Some may view this as a great convenience. I however, would fear that I might accidentally leave the box unlocked! Whereas, the on the Force, you have to lock it to close it, unless you leave the key in the hole, but I avoid this by putting the key on my car fob.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for your response and sharing your thoughts. I ordered the Force XT XXL. I really liked how the Motion looked but was really worried how the gloss finish would handle some of the elements and getting scratched. I went with the XXL size because thinking about how much crap we carry when traveling. It would be nice put everything on top and let our 3 dogs have a more comfortable ride. I was a bit concerned about the length of the box but I saw some pictures online of the Yakmia skybox 21 on an Ascent and it fit perfect, any bigger it would have issues with the hatch.

the XXL was on back order for REI so hopefully mid January I'll get a chance to test it out and post some pictures.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Congrats, I'm sure you'll like it.

I'm going to have to take another look at my Motion XT. I also put the box key on my fob, and as far as I remember, it is pretty much impossible to accidentally leave the box unlocked unless you leave the key inserted. In addition to the visual cue on the slider, the key cannot be turned and removed unless the box is securely closed. Fully closing the box causes it to be locked (without turning the key). If you don't turn the key it can be reopened. But you can't take the key out unless it is locked.

The thing about the Motion that I really like are the "handles." The shape of the mechanism makes it easier to carry around. Lacking a garage, I have to move it in and out of the basement.

After about 2500 miles, the glossy finish is fine. My only blemishes are from getting it through a door in the basement.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My only blemishes are from getting it through a door in the basement.
Mine has the gray glossy finish and it looks really nice after many trips. The only scratch was me going into airport parking. There was a hanging steel tube marking the 7'-0" max. height and I drove through it. Dumb thing is, the higher levels were really limited to 7 ft, the first floor had like 9ft clearance and all I needed to do was to go through to access another uncovered parking lot. But they put the sign limiting 7ft on all floors. Oh, well... it's just a scratch.

We didn't think it was worth that much extra for that style locking mechanism. $50 more? Maybe
I also don't think the lock itself is worth that much, as long as you don't leave the box loaded overnight, then forget the value of the lock, it's the value of whatever you left stored in there that counts (a.k.a. "stolen goods").
In my case I bought the Motion because they had it in stock at a local store, the people treated me well and showed me the box in detail, so it felt good to support a local business.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine has the gray glossy finish and it looks really nice after many trips. The only scratch was me going into airport parking. There was a hanging steel tube marking the 7'-0" max. height and I drove through it. Dumb thing is, the higher levels were really limited to 7 ft, the first floor had like 9ft clearance and all I needed to do was to go through to access another uncovered parking lot. But they put the sign limiting 7ft on all floors. Oh, well... it's just a scratch.

I also don't think the lock itself is worth that much, as long as you don't leave the box loaded overnight, then forget the value of the lock, it's the value of whatever you left stored in there that counts (a.k.a. "stolen goods").
In my case I bought the Motion because they had it in stock at a local store, the people treated me well and showed me the box in detail, so it felt good to support a local business.
We needed the size above all else at the time of purchase, so If my store had only the Motion XT XL in stock, I believe, we too would have gone ahead and purchased it. conspiracy on part of the store? ;-)

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only scratch was me going into airport parking. There was a hanging steel tube marking the 7'-0" max. height and I drove through it.
Don't feel bad. I did the same thing! I pulled into a hotel parking garage after a long trip and forgot it was up there.

I went for the Force XT XL for a couple reasons.
  • I really don't like the look of the Subaru branded one and believe it's from Thule's previous product line.
  • vs the Motion I had a hard time justifying the extra cost. These things are already $600+.
  • vs the Motion I think the matte plastic finish will be more damage tolerant than paint. It stays in the garage most of the time so won't get much UV exposure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. Those are the same reasons I went for the force xt.

I still haven't had a chance to install yet.

How does everyone store their boxes when not in use? The xxl is massive and takes up a lot of room on the floor. I have kind of low ceiling in the garage too. Wonder if I can build a stand or something

·
Registered
191 Posts

How does everyone store their boxes when not in use? The xxl is massive and takes up a lot of room on the floor. I have kind of low ceiling in the garage too. Wonder if I can build a stand or something
I use a pulley system and store it up by the ceiling. You could hang it vertical on the wall if that works as well using the quick clamps and a horizontal pipe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I made up a pulley system also. It's not super easy to raise/lower but is manageable for how infrequently I use it. My 1st floor ceilings are 9ft. I'm 6'-1" and can walk under it with plenty of clearance. Will try to post pics later.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I also use a pulley system. I found mine on Amazon for around $39. I provided the link below. I chose this one because of the straps vs hooks. I set the box on the garage floor and slip the straps around it and pull it right up to the ceiling joists. This design allows you to get it closer to the ceiling vs using hooks. Amazon-Kayak Pulley System

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here's my setup. It works alright but I should have just gone with the kayak lift others have used. I thought I could make it better for cheaper. Cheaper? Yes. Better? Didn't quite turn out that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts