Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that the Subaru splash guards, do you like them? If you installed yourself did you have to take the front tire off or can it be done without taking them off. Dealership want basically $260 installed. But found them at subarupartspro for $88. And my dealership won’t match the cost of them. Thanks

·
Registered
864 Posts
For those that the Subaru splash guards, do you like them? If you installed yourself did you have to take the front tire off or can it be done without taking them off. Dealership want basically $260 installed. But found them at subarupartspro for $88. And my dealership won’t match the cost of them. Thanks
They are very easy to install yourself and I did not need to remove any wheels. I can't remember any longer, but i may have used stubby screwdriver or a mini ratchet with a philips bit on it.

I do like the splash guards for the way they look. As far guarding splashes - I don't know if they do anything significant - the car still gets plenty dirty.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're looking for actual functionality, they do very little to protect your doors and quarter panels from mud and road debris.

If you prefer functionality get these from Rally Armor.
Yeah I was looking at the rally armor but I don’t know if I like the look with the stock limited 20” wheels. They look much better with 18” rims and KO2s which I plan on doing in the future.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yeah I was looking at the rally armor but I don’t know if I like the look with the stock limited 20” wheels. They look much better with 18” rims and KO2s which I plan on doing in the future.
I have both the OEM splash guards and the Rally Armor mud flaps.

The splash guards were a waste of money, I live on a gravel road and they did not protect the body panels. I could still see road debris accumulating. I then purchased the Rally Armor mud flaps and they were much more effective. I'm very particular about the looks of the car and I find they don't detract in any way, in fact think they look great. I have the Limited 20-inch wheels.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Pics of Rally Armor - RokBlokz Now Available

pro10is said:
I then purchased the Rally Armor mud flaps and they were much more effective. I'm very particular about the looks of the car and I find they don't detract in any way, in fact think they look great. I have the Limited 20-inch wheels.
I'm on the fence about the Rally Armor mud flaps because I thought they looked a little excessive on their site. The scale just seemed "off" to me. Do you happen to have any photos of the Rally Armor on your Ascent? I don't want them to draw attention to themselves by being bulky, but would like them to perform.

Also, it looks like RokBlokz just introduced their mud flaps. Had them previously on my Forester and thought they were awesome.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm on the fence about the Rally Armor mud flaps because I thought they looked a little excessive on their site. The scale just seemed "off" to me. Do you happen to have any photos of the Rally Armor on your Ascent? I don't want them to draw attention to themselves by being bulky, but would like them to perform.

Also, it looks like RokBlokz just introduced their mud flaps. Had them previously on my Forester and thought they were awesome.
See this post for photos. I think they look great on the Ascent.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have both the OEM splash guards and the Rally Armor mud flaps.

The splash guards were a waste of money, I live on a gravel road and they did not protect the body panels. I could still see road debris accumulating. I then purchased the Rally Armor mud flaps and they were much more effective. I'm very particular about the looks of the car and I find they don't detract in any way, in fact think they look great. I have the Limited 20-inch wheels.
Good to know! I’ll look into the Rally Armor

·
Registered
912 Posts
Are most decent mud flaps that expensive?
You can buy inexpensive mud flaps and they may work ok, that's what I did on my Forester. Rally Armor flaps are super-premium in looks and materials as well as ease of install, and unlike the OEM splash guards, they actually protect your car.

If you're serious about looks and protection, get them, the cost isn't that bad (~$130). They also sell generic flaps for much less (~$17), but you'll have to come up with your own hardware and method to install them and they're poly-blend plastic instead of premium polyurethane.

I purchased and installed the premium Rally Armor flaps and I can't recommend them enough. You'll be very happy with them and you'll see they're definitely worth the cost.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You can buy inexpensive mud flaps and they may work ok, that's what I did on my Forester. Rally Armor flaps are super-premium in looks and materials as well as ease of install, and unlike the OEM splash guards, they actually protect your car.

If you're serious about looks and protection, get them, the cost isn't that bad (~$130). They also sell generic flaps for much less (~$17), but you'll have to come up with your own hardware and method to install them and they're poly-blend plastic instead of premium polyurethane.

I purchased and installed the premium Rally Armor flaps and I can't recommend them enough. You'll be very happy with them and you'll see they're definitely worth the cost.
I was disappointed to see that weathertech does not yet have no- drill mud flaps for the Ascent. I will need to call them next week to learn of their plans. I may have to purchase the RA flaps.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was disappointed to see that weathertech does not yet have no- drill mud flaps for the Ascent. I will need to call them next week to learn of their plans. I may have to purchase the RA flaps.
I know mudflaps can be a controversial topic, but you might want to consider the RokBlokz. Looking back in time, my thread no longer has pictures from the migration, but you can see some pics of the finished product here and here.

To somewhat restate my opinions:
I have had weathertech mud guards on my previous F-150, and Titan. Loved them on both. I have had/do have Rally Armor flaps on my Legacy, Outback and currently on my Impreza. Love them there, too. But for the Ascent I went with the RokBlokz for the following reasons:
  1. More rigidity. Unless the Ascent is a aerodynamic anomaly compared to my other Subarus, or RallyArmor changed their material, the RA flaps will move in the wind or in motion. I always hated trailing my Subaru in another vehicle going somewhere and being drawn to the flap movement because the sun was hitting them just right. Was a distraction to me. Which brings me to the finish.
  2. The RA flaps are more glossy, and IMO do not look right mounted next to the more matte trim on the Ascent. Again, personal preference.
  3. Size/Shape. For some reason, the pics of RA flaps I have seen on the Ascent just looked "off" to me. Again, personal preference. I am going for a more rugged over street look and the RB fit the bill.
  4. Money. The RokBlokz are cheaper than the RA flaps.
Now, it doesn't mean the RokBlokz are perfect by any means. I think their size/shape, while more correct looking to me, limits the size of your wheel/tire combo. If you are running wider than stock width, or a more aggressive offset, you may not get the desired coverage on the outer portion of the flap. If anyone wants true measurements, I will gladly provide them.

So again, there are tradeoffs with any brand and I think you will be happy with either of the aftermarket solutions over the stock treatment.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I know mudflaps can be a controversial topic, but you might want to consider the RokBlokz. Looking back in time, my thread no longer has pictures from the migration, but you can see some pics of the finished product here and here.

To somewhat restate my opinions:
I have had weathertech mud guards on my previous F-150, and Titan. Loved them on both. I have had/do have Rally Armor flaps on my Legacy, Outback and currently on my Impreza. Love them there, too. But for the Ascent I went with the RokBlokz for the following reasons:
  1. More rigidity. Unless the Ascent is a aerodynamic anomaly compared to my other Subarus, or RallyArmor changed their material, the RA flaps will move in the wind or in motion. I always hated trailing my Subaru in another vehicle going somewhere and being drawn to the flap movement because the sun was hitting them just right. Was a distraction to me. Which brings me to the finish.
  2. The RA flaps are more glossy, and IMO do not look right mounted next to the more matte trim on the Ascent. Again, personal preference.
  3. Size/Shape. For some reason, the pics of RA flaps I have seen on the Ascent just looked "off" to me. Again, personal preference. I am going for a more rugged over street look and the RB fit the bill.
  4. Money. The RokBlokz are cheaper than the RA flaps.
Now, it doesn't mean the RokBlokz are perfect by any means. I think their size/shape, while more correct looking to me, limits the size of your wheel/tire combo. If you are running wider than stock width, or a more aggressive offset, you may not get the desired coverage on the outer portion of the flap. If anyone wants true measurements, I will gladly provide them.

So again, there are tradeoffs with any brand and I think you will be happy with either of the aftermarket solutions over the stock treatment.
Thanks for that detail. I am running the stock 20 inch. How do they compare with coverage and iease of install?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Running stock wheel/tires, coverage will be fine with any of the aftermarket guards. All are pretty easy to install as well, again based upon prior installs on other cars. If you have the right tools, you should be able to install any of them keeping the wheels on. If you want more clearance while working, remove the wheels. If you do your own maintenance, just coordinate the install with a tire rotation and make things easier all around.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Thank you. I will take a look at them as an option. My son just purchased a 2018 Impreza, so he will need guards as well. Similar recommendations or should he just go with the Subaru guards?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thank you. I will take a look at them as an option. My son just purchased a 2018 Impreza, so he will need guards as well. Similar recommendations or should he just go with the Subaru guards?
Here is my 2017 Impreza with the RallyArmor. Dirty, yes, cut me some slack.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have installed the OEM’s on my Premium model ,while they might not be as effective as the Rally Arts or similar styles they do add a little flare to the vehicle and it does protect to some extent.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts