Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Subaru has had some of that technology in place for a while, but not all of it. As a for instance, when the cars are painted, the doors are then pulled off so that interior assembly can go smoother and without damaged. Each door is tracked by the computer systems, and gets reassembled with the car that it was painted on, towards the end of the line.

Because the vast majority of Subarus are built to order, such computerized tracking systems and automation systems are very important for building a Subaru. Each car has its own parts and accessories bins that also travel by motorized robotic computer-controlled carts to the install location.

One of the neatest things was to see parts of cars being shuttled around the plant to meet up with their cars on assembly lines, for workers to install the correct parts in the appropriate car.

Another nice thing to see was the computer choosing what car frames went in what order. As a for instance, you will never see two Ascents back to back on the assembly line. They don't make it around the turns without hitting each other, and the computer knows that. So, when the computer is scheduling vehicles for the line, it takes that into account, and there will always be a different model Subaru between two Ascents.

Their computer system helps figure out or determines everything from what paint colors are to be run at a given time, to model ordering on the assembly line, to which parts been goes where, too controlling the automated carts that drive themselves from location to location with parts and car pieces, the testing data, logging serial numbers of each part installed on a car, and so much more.

There are other aspects of what VW is doing that I do not believe Subaru is, but Subaru only has one Factory in the United States.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I ordered my 2006 Dodge Ram diesel truck new, 2 days after my salesman called me with a link to track my truck as it was being built and shipped. I could see almost real time where they were with the thing plus a lot more. For example; I saw when the differential was pulled from inventory, what gearing was in it, if it had limited slip, etc. There was all sorts of info about that axle's manufacture; when, where, #'s, etc. When it was finally getting shipped, from the Saltillo, Mexico plant, I saw what train and what car on the train it was on. I saw as it crossed into the USA, when it arrived at Oakland, CA as port of entry, when it got on the truck to be driven to my dealer, when it arrived. Pretty amazing considering that was over 13 years ago. I don't know if Dodge keeps all that data; the various parts, their sources, info/data numbers that show the pedigree for those parts or not. I imagine they do in case of any recalls.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
SkiPro3, unfortunately FCA has cut out most methods of order tracking these days, but it's nice you were able to get that extreme level of detail for that '06 RAM for sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
No more human in factories... hopefully!!!!

I don’t even flip light switches at home anymore
LMAO, it is really weird when I travel, and try to talk to the hotel room, and nothing happens. I realized how spoiled I am when I get grumpy that I have to get out of the hotel bed to turn off the room lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts