Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday I got a flat while traveling on New Jersey Turnpike. I contacted Subaru roadside assistance from the car, they told me that they are not authorized to help out on the Turnpike. The lady put me thru NJ Turnpike authority and they dispatched their people to help me. The guy came and put the spare tire on me. If I didn't have AAA he would've charged me about $65. I wasn't aware of these kind of restrictions. On an another note, I drove home on the spare tire about 70 miles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The same is true in Massachusetts. If you need assistance on an interstate/turnpike then AAA is not allowed to come out; you must use the state sponsored roadside assistance.

Reactions: lassetjus

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
As an FYI for anyone who experiences this:
  • In some cases, there are authorized providers who are also state authorized for the highway - check with them. This applies whether you've got AAA or Subaru's coverage through Cross Country Motor Club.
  • You can get reimbursement for up to a certain amount of money if you call up and expain the situation - it's better than nothing. https://subaru.crosscountrymotorclub.com/doc.html

·
Registered
234 Posts
On Saturday I got a flat while traveling on New Jersey Turnpike. I contacted Subaru roadside assistance from the car, they told me that they are not authorized to help out on the Turnpike. The lady put me thru NJ Turnpike authority and they dispatched their people to help me. The guy came and put the spare tire on me. If I didn't have AAA he would've charged me about $65. I wasn't aware of these kind of restrictions. On an another note, I drove home on the spare tire about 70 miles.
So while AAA is not allowed to physically come out to help does the turnpike assistance recognize your AAA membership and the benefits attached?

·
Registered
234 Posts
  • In some cases, there are authorized providers who are also state authorized for the highway - check with them. This applies whether you've got AAA or Subaru's coverage through Cross Country Motor Club.
  • You can get reimbursement for up to a certain amount of money if you call up and expain the situation - it's better than nothing. https://subaru.crosscountrymotorclub.com/doc.html

@Robert.Mauro So is the price of the service up to the provider and then you are reimbursed based off of the CCMC max?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
@Robert.Mauro So is the price of the service up to the provider and then you are reimbursed based off of the CCMC max?
Assuming you cannot find a CCMC participating service provider who's licensed for the particular restricted highway, yes.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
My son has been trying for four hours to arrange a warranty tow starting at about 5PM thorugh the dealers and then through roadside assistance. He has a cvt warranty problem. No highway involved. If they do not dispatch within a 1/2 hour I am going to call a tow company and have SOA reimburse 100%. The roadside assistance said the tow would cost us $8 which is great if they ever even dispatch a truck. Now we are waiting for them to manually dispatch. We are in Denver. It is not like we are out in the middle of nowhere. The truck has not even been dispatched.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
My son has been trying for four hours to arrange a warranty tow starting at about 5PM thorugh the dealers and then through roadside assistance. He has a cvt warranty problem. No highway involved. If they do not dispatch within a 1/2 hour I am going to call a tow company and have SOA reimburse 100%. The roadside assistance said the tow would cost us $8 which is great if they ever even dispatch a truck. Now we are waiting for them to manually dispatch. We are in Denver. It is not like we are out in the middle of nowhere. The truck has not even been dispatched.
This has been an odd problem I've had with AAA and CCMC in the oddest areas. I don't know whether it's under provisioned third party contracts, or what, but, I've watched tows take hours for assistance to arrive, or mere minutes. Baffling. I was in the DC/Baltimore corridor (Hanover MD) coming back from the movies one night, and ran out of gas (and burnt out the fuel pump in my Range Rover from trying to start it twice afterwards). Took 40 minutes to arrange the tow with AAA and many hours to get a tow truck there. We were literally a few thousand feet from BW Parkway, 3.3 miles from I95, and not even 9.5 miles from the southwestern end of Baltimore where a lot of the towing companies and storage yards are based.
Ecoregion Map World Line Atlas

And then other times, it's instant.

When the trailer got its second flat on the NY Northway to Vermont, we used CCMC and AAA, and BOTH of them had a horrible time getting a hold of the towing companies. Also turned out they were calling the same towing companies as each other. 3 hours later, we had zero tow trucks, and finally a towing company that offered to take us to get a new tire in the morning (dude, we have a working car - we can do that ourselves).

I got stuck in the Pine Barrens in NJ once... took 45 minutes for AAA to get me someone (and 30 minutes to arrange that).

The one thing I learned was that having both coverages doesn't always help, because, in many areas, it's the same tow companies contracted by AAA and CCMC. 😞

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
This has been an odd problem I've had with AAA and CCMC in the oddest areas. I don't know whether it's under provisioned third party contracts, or what, but, I've watched tows take hours for assistance to arrive, or mere minutes. Baffling. I was in the DC/Baltimore corridor (Hanover MD) coming back from the movies one night, and ran out of gas (and burnt out the fuel pump in my Range Rover from trying to start it twice afterwards). Took 40 minutes to arrange the tow with AAA and many hours to get a tow truck there. We were literally a few thousand feet from BW Parkway, 3.3 miles from I95, and not even 9.5 miles from the southwestern end of Baltimore where a lot of the towing companies and storage yards are based.
View attachment 13715

And then other times, it's instant.

When the trailer got its second flat on the NY Northway to Vermont, we used CCMC and AAA, and BOTH of them had a horrible time getting a hold of the towing companies. Also turned out they were calling the same towing companies as each other. 3 hours later, we had zero tow trucks, and finally a towing company that offered to take us to get a new tire in the morning (dude, we have a working car - we can do that ourselves).

I got stuck in the Pine Barrens in NJ once... took 45 minutes for AAA to get me someone (and 30 minutes to arrange that).

The one thing I learned was that having both coverages doesn't always help, because, in many areas, it's the same tow companies contracted by AAA and CCMC. 😞
Who does soa use

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts