Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Subaru Ascent Recall

Got a call from my dealership this morning asking me to bring over my Subaru as there has been a recall and someone from Subaru will be coming over to do an inspection.

They said they will be giving me a loaner but I forgot to ask how long they will keep my vehicle.

Anyone heard about a recent recall?

I'll try to get more information once I drop my vehicle and post it here.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Got a call from my dealership this morning asking me to bring over my Subaru as there has been a recall and someone from Subaru will be coming over to do an inspection.

They said they will be giving me a loaner but I forgot to ask how long they will keep my vehicle.

I just left McKenna Subaru ( still trying to get my deposit back ) The salesman there said that there are 73 Subaru’s that are missing bolts or some Subarus are missing 73 bolts ...... I think Carl had mentioned, alluded to something like this at the very beginning of production ...?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, I just dropped off our Ascent and asked about the recall. Dealer don't know exactly what the recall is about except that Subaru told them not to sell anymore of the batch they have until after a Subaru engineer had inspected them.

They also can't tell me when I can have my Ascent back. Got a Crosstek for a loaner but told them that I needed a bigger one so they will check if they can get me an Outback on Monday.

I already miss my Ascent. :crying:

But, I guess it's still best to have it checked and inspected sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
So, I just dropped off our Ascent and asked about the recall. Dealer don't know exactly what the recall is about except that Subaru told them not to sell anymore of the batch they have until after a Subaru engineer had inspected them.

They also can't tell me when I can have my Ascent back. Got a Crosstek for a loaner but told them that I needed a bigger one so they will check if they can get me an Outback on Monday.

But, I guess it's still best to have it checked and inspected sooner than later.
This is strange, but I could understand them not wanting to cause a panic. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Huh??! So, what batch was your Ascent from? When did you take delivery? And what trim?

This is the first we've heard of any recall or the like.

·
Registered
107 Posts

If you check your MySubaru app under vehicle status and recall, do you see anything? Mine has none listed. I'm wondering if they've pushed it out to those affected.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just left McKenna Subaru ( still trying to get my deposit back ) The salesman there said that there are 73 Subaru’s that are missing bolts or some Subarus are missing 73 bolts ...... I think Carl had mentioned, alluded to something like this at the very beginning of production ...?
Elsewhere on the forum, there have been 3-4 folks who have had issues with some part of the turbo system that creates a vacuum that were missing 2 of 3 bolts. I bet that's what this is about.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Its a service note which they can do for a specific group of cars. In most cases today all auto makers know which batch of parts went in which cars. If a parts batch had some sort of problem they can target that group of cars vs doing a generic recall of all cars. Thats most likely whats going on.

Subaru is historically really conservative with new releases and will do things like this to be sure there aren’t screwing up big. From a car buyer perspective you want to see this. Many makers do not care the second the car is sold and we have seen the outcome of that approach over and over with several big name auto makers.

Subaru tends to do the right thing vs maybe the best bottom line money thing ��

·
Registered
965 Posts
No, that was another issue, where a few of the turbo's ended up missing a couple of bolts, and didn't necessitate much of anything other than an additional inspection.

This is something different, and so far affects a grand total of 290 vehicles. For most of us, those vehicles aren't even on our lots yet. Gotta love it when the plant comes back from shutdown.

It's an official stop sale / recall. And it's something that they'll fix, it just may delay people getting their cars another week or so. It's certainly nothing like the steering column recall we had with the Outback / Legacy where we had 48,500 cars recalled (almost two months worth of production) and had to put new steering columns in because ONE car had a failure. Seriously, Subaru takes making a good thing VERY seriously and is incredibly proactive with this stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No, that was another issue, where a few of the turbo's ended up missing a couple of bolts, and didn't necessitate much of anything other than an additional inspection.

This is something different, and so far affects a grand total of 290 vehicles. For most of us, those vehicles aren't even on our lots yet. Gotta love it when the plant comes back from shutdown.

It's an official stop sale / recall. And it's something that they'll fix, it just may delay people getting their cars another week or so. It's certainly nothing like the steering column recall we had with the Outback / Legacy where we had 48,500 cars recalled (almost two months worth of production) and had to put new steering columns in because ONE car had a failure. Seriously, Subaru takes making a good thing VERY seriously and is incredibly proactive with this stuff.
Wow.. Very interesting. Glad to hear they're getting ahead of it (and that my car hasn't been made yet).

·
Registered
29 Posts

Thanks for the info Carl (as usual), if you can share anything more for what the concern is please do, curiosity gets the better of us.

·
Registered
965 Posts
How and when will we know if our ascent is affected? Do you have a VIN range @Carl Abrams?
Was your car built AFTER the summer shutdown? Then MAYBE it is was affected. It's only a possible issue, anyway - they're just being proactive about it is all. And no, I have no VIN range. I have 5 cars inbound that were all built after shutdown, and only 3 of them are affected.

My service department recently got a new manager, and we were discussing with him about the steering column recall. He's been with our auto group for years, just not with us, and is the best manager in the whole auto group. When we told him about how Subaru reacted to a SINGLE issue with the steering columns, he was flabbergasted. There's not another car company out there that would do what we did.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was your car built AFTER the summer shutdown? Then MAYBE it is was affected. It's only a possible issue, anyway - they're just being proactive about it is all. And no, I have no VIN range. I have 5 cars inbound that were all built after shutdown, and only 3 of them are affected.

My service department recently got a new manager, and we were discussing with him about the steering column recall. He's been with our auto group for years, just not with us, and is the best manager in the whole auto group. When we told him about how Subaru reacted to a SINGLE issue with the steering columns, he was flabbergasted. There's not another car company out there that would do what we did.
Hi Carl, just want to clarify. Is this an issue with the steering column or are you referring to something else? Like what I've mentioned, my dealer don't know exactly what the recall is about unless they don't want to tell me.

At any rate, I still hope that the issue, if any, gets fixed quickly so I can enjoy my Ascent again. And of course, get feedback on what was fixed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
If you check your MySubaru app under vehicle status and recall, do you see anything? Mine has none listed. I'm wondering if they've pushed it out to those affected.
Thanks for pointing me to the MySubaru app.

I checked my app and it did show a Recall. Last time I used the app was 2 days ago and didn't see the recall.

I do hope that they don't damage the electronics during welding and also place adequate coating to prevent rusting.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts

What's the nature of the issue, though?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts