Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really like the looks of it, bold and tough looking. Hopefully Subaru follows through and doesn't stray to far off this look. Thanks for sharing.
Brian.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
It would certainly be a very interesting addition to the lineup and a nice thing to throw some competition at the Honda as mentioned in the article. There are many folks out there that would like the occasional utility of the open pickup format without giving up the ride that is less achievable with a body on frame mid-size pickup from GM and Ford.

Reactions: Sigmonster

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm happy with the horsies the Ascent has. If I had prioritized performance, I'd never have gotten rid of my Mustang GT. I like being able to pass gas stations occasionally :) If, like the Ascent, this truck will perform adequately while still getting reasonable MPGs and be able to tow 5000lbs, I'll be more than pleased to hand over monthly payments for one.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't really care about a truck, but I am a bit curious whether this will drive their engineers to push the towing capacities of their unibody designs a bit and have that trickle back to the Ascent. As for what's actually in the pictures, it seems fine, with the one exception of the funky-shaped steering wheel, which would be irritating.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Whoa! I could do that...I don't need a big-a$$ 4x4 pickup just to go fishing or camping. We never go THAT far off the trail. As long as we can get more wheel/tire size options, count me hooked!

Reactions: Sigmonster

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It could be a great competitor to the Ridgeline. It's gonna be hard to compete against the norm (e.g. Tacoma), potentially weighing a lot more than the Ascent.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Sadly, one problem. That is the Ascent.

Looks better than the Ascent. One issue with the Ascent is the lack of bold fender work. Having said that its hard to be bold when competition is 300hp and up. LOL

My 2005 is 280hp. Just sayn
Problem is, it is the Ascent. The images are all of the pre-production Concept version Ascent shown off for the debut. Someone skilled with graphics then edited the rear into a pickup bed and raised it off the wheels.

So, being the concept design that didn't make it into production... :sad:

I'd expect a pickup concept would be toned down to match the Ascent or some other portion of their lineup as well.

https://autocarweek.com/subaru-ascent-concept-floor-at-the-new-york/

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I'd rather they make a small pickup truck like many people actually want and not yet another giant truck that blurs the lines between trucks and locomotives.
I just want 4 more inches squeezed into the rear bed to make it a full 48" usable width. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just want 4 more inches squeezed into the rear bed to make it a full 48" usable width. :tango_face_wink:
You know what's so silly? My 1987 Nissan D21 beater truck has a bed that's 60" long and 54" wide interior dimensions making it far more useful than many modern "trucks" and yet it's half the size, half the weight, and carries more payload than many of the current models (2000 pounds). Plus its a beater and I can fill it up with rocks, or manure. About once a quarter some random person tries to buy it from me because they want a small household hauler than nobody makes anymore.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Perhaps they are constrained due to capacity at SIA, but they could run it down the same line as the Ascent. Think Honda Passport

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
It can probably be done above the wheel wells at least, depending on how "thick" they want to make the truck bed sides.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
You know what's so silly? My 1987 Nissan D21 beater truck has a bed that's 60" long and 54" wide interior dimensions making it far more useful than many modern "trucks" and yet it's half the size, half the weight, and carries more payload than many of the current models (2000 pounds). Plus its a beater and I can fill it up with rocks, or manure. About once a quarter some random person tries to buy it from me because they want a small household hauler than nobody makes anymore.
Nice! A friend of mine owned the Datsun 720... which of course is

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yup. My current 8 passenger won’t fit a sheet of plywood or drywall. Learned that one while in the parking lot at Home Depot. Very frustrating

My 4x6 trailer has been a great tool. But Don’t like going into San Francisco with it when my rental needs that sort of work.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts