Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 19 Ascent is part of PCV recall, but hasn't been completed yet. Had it in the dealer 2-3 times since recall, but they never had the parts. While driving on the highway all of a sudden my 19 ascent lost almost all power, almost all the warning lights flashed and a ton of smoke came out of the exhaust, engine and also started to fill into the cabin. I was able to coast and get some power to get off to the frontage road.

Car was towed to Subaru. Service has confirmed the PCV has failed and said they are taking the engine out to look for the parts.

They said they may have to change the short block. I am concerned about reliability after a repair of that size as well as other parts that could have been damaged like the catalytic converter or o2 sensors. Also due to pandemic dealer is short staffed so I am not sure how long a repair would take.

Is there any advice on how to deal with this or what to ask the service manager to inspect? Has anyone been able to get a replacement or trade in assistance from SOA?

Below is photo showing what I guess is oil on the center bottom of the photo.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened to you. You are on the right track with your thoughts. I would review the other threads about folks that lost their engine to the PCV failure and make notes about what was replaced for others. Also hopefully others will reply to this and let you know if there is more to be concerned with.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
My 19 Ascent is part of PCV recall, but hasn't been completed yet. Had it in the dealer 2-3 times since recall, but they never had the parts. While driving on the highway all of a sudden my 19 ascent lost almost all power, almost all the warning lights flashed and a ton of smoke came out of the exhaust, engine and also started to fill into the cabin. I was able to coast and get some power to get off to the frontage road.

Car was towed to Subaru. Service has confirmed the PCV has failed and said they are taking the engine out to look for the parts.

They said they may have to change the short block. I am concerned about reliability after a repair of that size as well as other parts that could have been damaged like the catalytic converter or o2 sensors. Also due to pandemic dealer is short staffed so I am not sure how long a repair would take.

Is there any advice on how to deal with this or what to ask the service manager to inspect? Has anyone been able to get a replacement or trade in assistance from SOA?

Below is photo showing what I guess is oil on the center bottom of the photo.

View attachment 4927
I would contact SOA over the phone but recount the call in an email to them as well. It is too late now. But I would have told them you want a loaner as soon as you heard the parts were not available. At this point zi would also require from SOA the extended warranty for the longest term possible.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If all the parts are present in the PCV valve, they just replace that. IDK about the cat converter etc.. If a piece of the PCV valve is missing, it got ingested by the engine and they replace the short block.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well, that’s good. Apparently the Fozzy issue was fixed early... mine was a December 2018 build leased in January 2019, and it was already fixed in production. So it seemed to be linked to pre-Dec 2018 ones which I think rolled out around summer 2018. If this was the same setup as the Ascents that rolled off the line the same time... it would be good if they caught the design flaw that quickly...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts