Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after 8 months of searching and forum reading, I went to both the Acura and Subaru dealers today. I spent the entire day at the two dealers. After extensive test drives of the 2020 Outback and 2020 Acura RDX, testing the infotainment system, safety systems, and more, I decided on the Acura with the Advantage package. I’m looking forward to the new car when it arrives but I’m glad the search is over and the decision made. I’m happy to let you know what issues caused me to choose the RDX over the Outback if anyone is interested.

Thanks everyone who offered advice and information in this forum, much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Well, after 8 months of searching and forum reading, I went to both the Acura and Subaru dealers today. I spent the entire day at the two dealers. After extensive test drives of the 2020 Outback and 2020 Acura RDX, testing the infotainment system, safety systems, and more, I decided on the Acura with the Advantage package. I’m looking forward to the new car when it arrives but I’m glad the search is over and the decision made. I’m happy to let you know what issues caused me to choose the RDX over the Outback if anyone is interested.

Thanks everyone who offered advice and information in this forum, much appreciated!
I'm curious as to why you are posting in the Ascent forum and not the Outback or RDX?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm curious as to why you are posting in the Ascent forum and not the Outback or RDX?
Fair question. Because I was originally considering the Ascent after reading CR high ratings. I posted for several months here as I tried to make a decision. I thought it would come down to the 2020 Ascent and 2020 Highlander but I finally convinced my wife we don’t need a 3 row SUV so then I started considering the Outback. I was just closing the loop on this forum as I move to the Acura forum.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Enjoy the RDX. We came down to RDX Advance and the F pace R sport for our most recent purchase a few weeks ago, but we went with a Jaguar because of driving dynamics. The Acura was very good, but the Jaguar was off the charts. I would state the Acura has a nicer, higher quality interior however.
I understand because you explained it above, but the RDX and the Ascent aren't two cars I would necessarily cross shop, although they are both excellent choices.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Nothing wrong with down sizing,good luck with the Acura.
Hopefully Subaru can address my suspension issues when I go in for my next oil change,if I get the run around I’ll be testing other waters.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Enjoy the RDX. We came down to RDX Advance and the F pace R sport for our most recent purchase a few weeks ago, but we went with a Jaguar because of driving dynamics. The Acura was very good, but the Jaguar was off the charts. I would state the Acura has a nicer, higher quality interior however.
I understand because you explained it above, but the RDX and the Ascent aren't two cars I would necessarily cross shop, although they are both excellent choices.
Agree about the cross shopping but actually, once I made up my mind that I no longer was getting a three row SUV I was cross shopping the RDX against the Outback.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
That RDX is pretty light on towing capacity at 1500 lb. Of course it's a non issue if no towing is contemplated. IDK what the tongue capacity is but if 150 lb, that could be a limitation for a larger bike rack with 3+ mtbs or a couple of e-bikes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That RDX is pretty light on towing capacity at 1500 lb. Of course it's a non issue if no towing is contemplated. IDK what the tongue capacity is but if 150 lb, that could be a limitation for a larger bike rack with 3+ mtbs or a couple of e-bikes.
I will not be towing with the RDX—it is my daily driver. I have a Toyota Tundra for towing.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
A close friend of mine drives RDXs and they are certainly nice vehicles. I've never been as comfortable in them as I am in our Subaru's however. I kinda feel the same way about Acura that I do about Lexis and Infinity...it's still a Honda just like they are still Toyotas and Nissans, respectively. They have some premium materials and features, but there is always the question about whether or not they are "better" than their base brand designs, especially a loaded version of the primary nameplate, if not in function, in value.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A close friend of mine drives RDXs and they are certainly nice vehicles. I've never been as comfortable in them as I am in our Subaru's however. I kinda feel the same way about Acura that I do about Lexis and Infinity...it's still a Honda just like they are still Toyotas and Nissans, respectively. They have some premium materials and features, but there is always the question about whether or not they are "better" than their base brand designs, especially a loaded version of the primary nameplate, if not in function, in value.
Obviously the DNA is related but the Acura is built on an entirely different platform and electronics so while I’m sure there are some shared parts, the underlying engineering is entirely different.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
They share global platforms but certainly are different vehicles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.