Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the video below it seems Subaru filters are not the best option out there and since WIX was bought out their filters have declined in quality. For now it seems the best quality for the price would be Fram XG7317 from Wal-Mart for about $9.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hmm so my use of the FRAM XG7317 filters in my oil change videos is vindicated and people should stop responding how I just voided my warranty by using a FRAM filter.

Granted I kept defending the FRAM Ultra Synthetic series as they are rated really well on other sites as well.

I will probably move back to Amsoil oil after another video series showed it to be the best oil under extreme conditions!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fram got a bad wrap for awhile. I'm still staying away from their lower end filters.

As far as oil I'm sticking with Toyota, Mazda, Subaru or Idemitsu as they are some of thinnest at cold temps. Amsoil is just too hard to obtain for me and pricey.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Hmm so my use of the FRAM XG7317 filters in my oil change videos is vindicated and people should stop responding how I just voided my warranty by using a FRAM filter.

Granted I kept defending the FRAM Ultra Synthetic series as they are rated really well on other sites as well.

I will probably move back to Amsoil oil after another video series showed it to be the best oil under extreme conditions!
Tell those people that it is FRAM (in Canada, under the Honeywell name, IIRC) who makes our oil filters, so, if FRAM says one of their aftermarket filters meets or exceeds OEM specifications, they should know, since they make our OEM filter. :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
Regardless of the brand on the filter, it's not going to "void your warranty" to use a third party product unless a failure could be specifically and unequivocally shown to have caused said failure. That's the law in the US at least...and has been for a very long time now.

Reactions: Outback King

·
Registered
38 Posts
So my question would be if the bypass valve meets the Subaru specifications…

The one thing that I’ve seen in many of the aftermarket oil filters is a bypass to low.

What we really need to see are oil reports...

I’ve got a bunch run against out 25FB, and the OEM Fram filters work fine... as crappy as they are.

I’ve got a case of the H6 Black filters, so I’ll use them.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So my question would be if the bypass valve meets the Subaru specifications…

The one thing that I’ve seen in many of the aftermarket oil filters is a bypass to low.

What we really need to see are oil reports...

I’ve got a bunch run against out 25FB, and the OEM Fram filters work fine... as crappy as they are.

I’ve got a case of the H6 Black filters, so I’ll use them.
Was just looking into this last night and the bypass pressure for the Fram Ultra is around 13 and stock is around 23 i think, but the Fram Ultra also flows ALOT better so i'm not sure bypass pressure is as important on this filter???
The only other filter that comes close to stock bypass pressure seems to Purolator One which i think is 16-18. Not sure how these companies can sell a filter than wouldn't take into account Subaru's higher than normal oil pumps??? or maybe they flow that much better where then can lower the bypass pressure??

Only seems to be 2 reasons for bypass, cold startup when oil viscosity is high or when filter is clogged.

Really need to see an oil filter analysis on a Subaru running one of these lower bypass pressure filters.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Regardless of the brand on the filter, it's not going to "void your warranty" to use a third party product unless a failure could be specifically and unequivocally shown to have caused said failure. That's the law in the US at least...and has been for a very long time now.
Oh I know but it is amazing how many people have responded saying Fram is garbage or that I voided my warranty by using it.

Not a direct reply to you but for oil this guy did a bunch of tests to try and find the best and here were the last two competitors with Amsoil taking the win.

I thought this was a great series and while he doesn't have all the fancy equipment he really tried to emulate different scenarios. He didn't have Subaru's brand oil but many others in the competition.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was also thinking the bypass pressure setting is so high because they allow customers is other countries to run thicker oil and maybe these filters are designed with that in mind....so when running water(0w-20) in your engine bypass setting only matters when filter becomes clogged.

Reactions: Outback King

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The search is over.
Wix has made a filter for Subaru engines with the higher by-pass valve setting, filters down to 15 micron, coil spring vs leaf for by-pass valve and better media for synthetic and silicone drain back valve vs the nitrile/rubber:

WIX 57055XP

Taking out the FRAM Ultra today. It's probably fine for the summer, but in winter i'm sure would be running in by-pass more than i would like.

Reactions: civdiv99

·
Registered
119 Posts
I been running this in both my Ascent and Forester XT, I am happy with the results.

The search is over.
Wix has made a filter for Subaru engines with the higher by-pass valve setting, filters down to 15 micron, coil spring vs leaf for by-pass valve and better media for synthetic and silicone drain back valve vs the nitrile/rubber:

WIX 57055XP

Taking out the FRAM Ultra today. It's probably fine for the summer, but in winter i'm sure would be running in by-pass more than i would like.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We’re running Redline 0W20 in our cars. I was very careful with the 25FB in the Legacy after engine #3...

Been using the OEM filters in that car, and the oil reports from the lab show its fine at this point.

The OCI for the 2013 Legacy / Outback is 7000 miles. Even the OEM filter appears to be working just fine at ~9000 miles (longest I ever went).

The by-pass pressure is there for multiple reasons:

- Thick oil during warn up, which is not an issue when using synthetic in most of North America

- By-pass for clogged filters... leave your filter in for 30,000 miles, do you?

- High oil pressure during extreme driving will cause the filter to by-pass

Subaru has specified the nigher by-pass to ensure the oil is being filtered nearly all the time.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
My concern is with the size filter that comes on the new 2019 Ascent engine. seems awful small and wouldn't a larger one be better?
Same size as on their other similarly sized engines.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Then the Purolator in the video might be for you, has a much larger filter. I would say change oil under 6k or 6 months and the filter should be fine. I been more at the 6 month mark on my Forester and the 5-6k mark on the Ascent. I run Techron and run the fuel tank empty and change the oil (Snake Oil Maybe... but cheap enough for me). Seems to be a popular method with other Subaru forums with the XT turbo.

My concern is with the size filter that comes on the new 2019 Ascent engine. seems awful small and wouldn't a larger one be better?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to the forum, so thanks in advance for any and all advice. I'll be doing my first oil change in our Ascent in the next week or so, and have been researching oil filters all evening. It's still not clear to me what's best, but that's open to opinion. I'm starting to settle in on Wix, even though I've never used them before. One thing that concerns me about them, mostly due to my lack of knowledge, is that their website says the bypass pressure is 27. From reading the forums, it seems like lower than the factory 23 is bad. Is higher than spec good/bad/doesn't matter?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Too high and if the filter gets clogged or oil too thick then i suppose you could starve the engine of oil or it would just blow through the filter media.
The media in the WIX should flow better than the Subie filter as it has more surface area and made of synthetic material. I'm using the 57055XP and not worried about the higher bypass as i change the filter every 4-5k and use 0w-20 oil in the winter. More worried about the lower setting found in other filters. Very little chance of my filter getting close to hitting that bypass threshold of 27. Maybe they set it a bit higher because it uses a spring bypass instead of the stamped steel type in the Subie one and maybe they react differently.

BTW- I'd look into a Pella oil extractor if you want to save yourself time and from crawling under your car. Change oil in less than 10min and don't have to worry about getting out tools and torque wrenches and easier cleanup.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.