Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have some information on any SOA buyback offers they’ve received to take back their poorly running Ascent?

I’m questioning the offer I’ve received, they want to take my 2019 in as a trade, SOA paying the negative equity off and then the dealer selling me another Ascent or car and starting financing all over and charging me taxes and dealer fees and all of that again as it’s a sale from the dealer.

I’m not a big fan of this.....I feel this benefits me slightly but it is more positive for the dealer, not me. If SOA needs to replace my car, I shouldn’t have to pay taxes, title and fees all over again and start a new loan, I’ve paid for almost 1 year already.

Does anyone else have experience with this and if so, what was your offer or deal from SOA? And did you take another Ascent, because I am not willing to do that. I don’t see any changes made to the transmission that makes me feel comfortable in signing up for another 6 months of headaches and trips to the service department.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
I don’t see any changes made to the transmission that makes me feel comfortable in signing up for another 6 months of headaches and trips to the service department.
The majority of the issues that folks attribute to the transmission are in fact, related to an Ascent specific wiring harness. The transmission itself has been in use for ten years now. It's not new. If you like the Ascent otherwise, it's unlikely that a MY20 replacement will have the same issue you unfortunately have had with your MY19. As to the new deal, only you can determine if it's what you can accept. To me, it's not terribly unfair since it would be a new, MY20, potentially with a lower .9% finance rate if you qualify and it sounds like it's a no out-of-pocket transition. There's no way around the taxes...the dealer/manufacturer isn't the one charging those. State laws apply.

·
Registered
731 Posts
OP, MY19 buyers have had a tough go with this vehicle. This is precisely why I did not buy the first-year of the Ascent. I made that mistake with my 2014 Forester XT. Not doing that again.
My late-‘19 built MY20 has had no tranny issues and all of the recalls do not apply to it. Mine came with the good harness, proper TCM firmware etc. I think the transmission itself is solid.
I love the Ascent and still would not choose another option at this time. Definitely not the Korean brands or the appliance Honda/Toyota brands. I got .9% financing the day it was announced (whew, lucked out) and got a killer 7yr/100,000mi warranty.
Good luck in your decision.

·
Banned
85 Posts
First you have owned and driven the car for a period of time. How much do you really like the car? Does it meet your needs? Or are there other things you now know and do not like about the car like cabin noise, space, comfort, gas mileage etc.?

Second. You indicated they were paying off your loan and taking the car back as a trade. Is the buy back the current value as a trade or the contracted price you paid for the car? Research your state’s Lemon Law. What does the law say about the buy back if you win your case? My state the law is that the manufacturer buys the car back at the contracted price. So you may or may not get more by filing under the Lemon Law. If your state has a similar law SOA and dealer may or may not be coming out ahead on the deal by offering it as a trade and not the contracted price.

Third since the Ascent hit dealer’s lots other new or redesigned SUV’s have come out. Palisade, Telluride (both getting awesome reviews), Explorer, and in a couple of weeks the Highlander. Also several brands are now offering low rates and employee pricing ie GM, Dodge etc. Review and consider the other models and their costs.

Fourth no way around the state taxes. If they are treating this as a trade and you accept you can minimize the sales tax by demanding that they give you the maximum value of the trade in value. In most states the tax is on the price you pay not the sticker price. Research the trade value. Use several sources. Be armed with the info. Getting maximum trade value will not eliminate the tax but will reduce your cost.

Fifth dealer fees. Tell them to waive the fees. Look at how long your car was not drivable. If it was out of service for a month you paid for a non-drivable car for that period of time. Also, if you have property tax or similar state fees, yes including Sirius XM, car insurance etc. on your car than break that down to the time you lost and your cost. Use that amount to argue against the dealer fees.

Lastly, you expressed doubts about getting another Ascent. So really you do know what your decision should be don’t you?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Does anyone have some information on any SOA buyback offers they’ve received to take back their poorly running Ascent?

I’m questioning the offer I’ve received, they want to take my 2019 in as a trade, SOA paying the negative equity off and then the dealer selling me another Ascent or car and starting financing all over and charging me taxes and dealer fees and all of that again as it’s a sale from the dealer.

I’m not a big fan of this.....I feel this benefits me slightly but it is more positive for the dealer, not me. If SOA needs to replace my car, I shouldn’t have to pay taxes, title and fees all over again and start a new loan, I’ve paid for almost 1 year already.

Does anyone else have experience with this and if so, what was your offer or deal from SOA? And did you take another Ascent, because I am not willing to do that. I don’t see any changes made to the transmission that makes me feel comfortable in signing up for another 6 months of headaches and trips to the service department.

Thanks!
Your registration fees would be credited but taxes would not. Photon makes a darn good point on the taxes. A bit of quick research and I bet you can determine the low tax amount that would be due. Especially since Subarus hold their value. Dealer fees can be negotiated and I would insist they waive it given as I expect you were out of your own vehicle for many weeks if not longer. If the dealer wants to service your 2020 they should be willing to take care of you in this manner. I would not worry about the 2020 transmission for the reasons Jim detailed.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
But I also had problems with the replacement transmission they put in my 2019 in October....wouldn’t that have been a newer one with belt issue fixed?
There's no belt in any Subaru CVT, and the CVT itself does not have an issue. There was a harness issue that damaged some CVTs (two tenths of a percent), including yours, from what you've posted. A new harness and new CVT resolves that issue.

The only other thing you've described since then is not liking the way the CVT operates.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium Crystal White Pearl
118 Posts
There's no belt in any Subaru CVT, and the CVT itself does not have an issue. There was a harness issue that damaged some CVTs (two tenths of a percent), including yours, from what you've posted. A new harness and new CVT resolves that issue.

The only other thing you've described since then is not liking the way the CVT operates.
Not sure mine was the harness. The dealer that replaced it confirmed to me they did do a diagnostic and there were no codes at all. I thought the harness failures threw DTCs? Mine had none but the dealer also confirmed that they didn't perform the WUV07 recall upon replacement. I wonder if they would have done the WUV07 on the faulty transmission if it would have developed codes when they performed the stall test portion of the procedure. Of course I believe the procedure stated that if any unusual noises were coming from the CVT, then replace the CVT, no further testing required. The harness was only required to be replaced if it thew the P0842 or P0867 DTCs. I think I may have just had one of the, "very rare case", as they put it CVTs.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Not sure mine was the harness. The dealer that replaced it confirmed to me they did do a diagnostic and there were no codes at all. I thought the harness failures threw DTCs? Mine had none but the dealer also confirmed that they didn't perform the WUV07 recall upon replacement. I wonder if they would have done the WUV07 on the faulty transmission if it would have developed codes when they performed the stall test portion of the procedure. Of course I believe the procedure stated that if any unusual noises were coming from the CVT, then replace the CVT, no further testing required. The harness was only required to be replaced if it thew the P0842 or P0867 DTCs. I think I may have just had one of the, "very rare case", as they put it CVTs.
No, the harness didn't always throw an error under normal driving.

The harness is replaced with all new CVTs for the Ascent.

·
Registered
73 Posts

I had a the harness issue And metal shavings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts