Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Big Bad Ascent just delivered and is now on wet and dirty roads of this end of Marsh...
This is after owning 5 Legacy/Outback and a need for more room and may be something differant...
The Ascent engine is nowhere near the Outback 3.6. It is getting the job done but expect more noise and more CVT sensation. Miss my outback driving experiance a bit too much but the Ascent road handling is very good, doesn’t feel heavy or high on it’s wheels/unstable. The Outback being of course the vehicule of comparision.
You need more room? Men, you get a lot more! This is a real 3 rows with room on the third row for two adults (but not three per advertised). The last row will sit three kids if needed. Not sure about the gas mileage yet, will drive it more before I make a judgement on that.
Happy Ascent experience to all!

·
Registered
684 Posts
maybe we looking for different things from the engine
on my last oil change i got new 2019 Legacy 3.6 (16 mi on it ) i was very disappointed...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Never had issues with my 2013 3.6R and my 2016 with CVT.
My 2008 2.5 turbo XT was a blast to drive and had no oil burning or knocking issues. The 2.5 H4... will never buy again or recommend that engine.
Too bad the 3.6 is going to dissapear (if the rumors are right), I felt it would be a great Ascent option for the near future. Super quiet engine lots of low end torque, the best engine an Outback guy or girl can wish for in my own opinion. The 3.6 H6 engine made my love for Subaru grow stronger but the H4.... ouffff.....

·
Registered
646 Posts
Big Bad Ascent just delivered and is now on wet and dirty roads of the end of Marsh...
This is after owning 5 Legacy/Outback and a need for more room and may be something differant...
The Ascent engine is nowhere near the Outback 3.6. It is getting the job done but expect more noise and more CVT sensation. Miss my outback driving experiance a bit too much but the Ascent road handling is very good, doesn’t feel heavy or high on it’s wheels/unstable. The Outback being of course the vehicule of comparision.
You need more room? Men, you get a lot more! This is a real 3 rows with room on the third row for two adults (but not three per advertised). The last row will sit three kids if needed. Not sure about the gas mileage yet, will drive it more before I make a judgement on that.
Don't quite understand the comment the Ascent engine is nowhere near the Ob 3.6? I thought the 3.6 I owned(15 Outback) was refined but not that responsive for a six. In fact, I thought it was slow for a 3.6 outdated comes to mine. And how much oil did that engine require? My favorite engines where- 14 Forester 2.0 DIT, Ascent 2.4 DIT and then the 3.6

·
Registered
76 Posts
We enjoyed our outback 3.6, but I won’t miss the 79 quart... oh, I mean 7.9 quart oil capacity that ate a quart between changes. The asscent is sufficiently quick when you step on it. We’re still in our break-in, but once I can drive her hard I’ll probably be in paddle shifter mode. The paddles feel much better than the ‘11 we traded in.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Tidbits...

Big Bad Ascent just delivered and is now on wet and dirty roads of the end of Marsh...
So, some tidbits you may find interesting.
  • The Ascent has the same CVT as your Outback 3.6R (TR690).
  • The Ascent has more horsepower and a flatter torque curve.
  • The Ascent has more torque.
  • While it may not feel like it, the Ascent ties (or beats) the thousand pound lighter Outback in 0-60.

Outback 3.6R has been tested 0-60 at 7.1, 7.2 seconds by Car and Driver and Motortrend and others.

The Ascent tests at 6.5s, 6.9s, 7.2s by them. I can match those results (tested and logged with Torque).

It only *FEELS* slower.

It feels different, that's for sure. The TCM in the Ascent acts differently, especially compared to the year Outback you have. And, of course, the car is a half ton heavier than the Outback, which definitely changes how things feel.

I had a 2010 Outback Premium 2.5i 6MT, and, to get a similar road feel, I need to have the Ascent seats near as low as possible. Then, it feels very similar. When I ride with the Ascent driver's seat all the way up, it definitely feels more like a boat around corners.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes the paddle shifting is more responsive with the CVT, Subaru did a good job on that.
I rarely felt I was driving a CVT on my 3.6R Outback. Engine was super silent and had enough low end torque to pull the car easyly at normal driving paces.

Now back to the Ascent, the engine sounds are more present and the engine needs 2000 + rpms to get the Ascent moving from stop sign to stop sign, looks like I will have to get used to that.

At normal highway speeds, the engine does an adequate job.

My Ascent is the limited model and looks like it is a little bit slower then some other trim line.

I don’t think the Ascent is faster then the Outback 3.6 on the 0-60 from what I found on the internet. The Ascent is above 7 seconds and the Outback is in the 6.7 area. That doesn’t mean much to someone probably, I rarely floor the pedal that hard myself.
The Ascent is defanatly heavier and would benefit from some more engine low end torque.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with you BlueAscent.

My 2017 Outback with the 3.6R was much quieter and smother while accelerating than my Ascent.

At highway speeds the Ascent is quieter.

Like you, I do miss my 3.6R.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I do miss my Outback 3.6R and a lot more then I want to admit. Hoping that will change with time.

The Ascent is real nice and has this «different then the others suv out there» factor that I really appreciate.

The engine being what it is on the torque/power aspect, on the other way, it is super small/light for a vehicule the size of the Ascent and makes the truck handle quite well and like what a Subaru regular buyer is used to expect.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes I do miss my Outback 3.6R and a lot more then I want to admit. Hoping that will change with time.

The Ascent is real nice and has this «different then the others suv out there» factor that I really appreciate.

The engine being what it is on the torque/power aspect, on the other way, it is super small/light for a vehicule the size of the Ascent and makes the truck handle quite well and like what a Subaru regular buyer is used to expect.
One of the reasons the truck handle so well is the new SGP modular structure that is super stiff. On the engine noise, it has nice growl I think at lower rpms while I will agree the 3.6 seemed quieter and smoother. Overall the 2.4 is a much more advanced power plant.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If someone think the Outback 3.6 is slow... wait till you try a 2.4T Ascent...
Like Robert said it meets or beats the 3.6 0-60. The Ascent in premium trim was tested at under 7 seconds. Remember the size and weight of this car. With normal throttle inputs I find myself up to speed in no time. Again, everybody especially the car rags seem to focus on speed when in today's real world driving environment safety (driver focus) and a cars ability to handle these conditions is more important.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Finally took a road trip in my 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R. I averaged 28 mpg for 700 miles/all highway. That does not compare to the 43 mpg for my Camry Hybrid, but not too shabby for a 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Finally took a road trip in my 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R. I averaged 28 mpg for 700 miles/all highway. That does not compare to the 43 mpg for my Camry Hybrid, but not too shabby for a 6 cylinder.
Not bad what was your average MPH? I have gotten that in my Ascent going averaging around 70MPH not for 700 miles though

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I was back at the dealer today on this sunny and finaly spring like weather afternoon, everybody were busy delivering Imprezas and Foresters with a smile.

So the question to my salesman was: what's going on with the 3.6?

It was confirmed to me today that the 3.6 will be discountinued in the near future. It will not be part of the 2020 Outback (or the Ascent for the ones like me who believe there is no replacement for displace...), so it is what it is, the race for engine efficiency is taking another engine off the market.

After another hard day at work, I took the Ascent for a spin to the local Home Depot in order to load this brand new and huge Weber Genenis II and yes, it loaded in the Ascent, on the second tryall though, it did not fit with the box but loaded without an issue after pulling the refrigerator like size box.

You fold the seats in seconds and what you get is room, I should say a lots of room.

Have a good Ascent week all of you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
If you compare a limited Outback 3.6R with CVT with a limited Ascent, the Outback is faster. That being said, in normal driving conditions is where I feel the Ascent is missing low end torque and is noisy compare to the Outback.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.