Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't an Ascent video but gives a good look at the assembly process and includes some motor and CVT assembly video from Japan.
This video was posted a week ago, but could be older footage.

I found it interesting having never been to the plant.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Great vid - quite a "rough" operation compared to the high-end German auto factories. They just scream precision on their robotics and machinery.

And then you have the hand-built stuff.

Here's a cool vid of a Porsche factory:

·
Registered
965 Posts
This isn't an Ascent video but gives a good look at the assembly process and includes some motor and CVT assembly video from INDIANA.
This video was posted a week ago, but could be older footage.
Fixed that for you.

At 00:24, 1:04, 4:05, and 6:45 were all jobs that I've done, in addition to two other things that they didn't show. (Of course, it's not very exciting showing someone driving a forklift in and out of a trailer at 3 AM in freezing cold weather or burning summer heat.

Also note that in stamping (the first videos) - it doesn't matter what the temperature is, that's what you wear. Thick long sleeved shirts, demin jeans that are basically 4 times the thickness of anything you buy regularly, steel toed boots, kevlar sleeves, and kevlar gloves. That steel is sharper than a well-honed straight razor.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixed that for you.

At 00:24, 1:04, 4:05, and 6:45 were all jobs that I've done, in addition to two other things that they didn't show. (Of course, it's not very exciting showing someone driving a forklift in and out of a trailer at 3 AM in freezing cold weather or burning summer heat.

Also note that in stamping (the first videos) - it doesn't matter what the temperature is, that's what you wear. Thick long sleeved shirts, demin jeans that are basically 4 times the thickness of anything you buy regularly, steel toed boots, kevlar sleeves, and kevlar gloves. That steel is sharper than a well-honed straight razor.
Thanks, but the video says Japan, so I'm confused. Nothing new...?

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts
IIRC, from what SIA told me, the Ascent engine is assembled here, and the Ascent TR690 CVT is manufactured and assembled in Gunma, and shipped complete.

They did not indicate how much of the engine was assembled here, but I presumed the short blocks were shipped somewhat complete. I was too busy drooling a little to remember to ask for more details.

·
Registered
965 Posts
IIRC, from what SIA told me, the Ascent engine is assembled here, and the Ascent TR690 CVT is manufactured and assembled in Gunma, and shipped complete.

They did not indicate how much of the engine was assembled here, but I presumed the short blocks were shipped somewhat complete. I was too busy drooling a little to remember to ask for more details.
Correct. The transmissions are shipped over complete. The block of the engine and most of the components of that engine are shipped over as pieces, then assembled here to make the entire engine. Note that there are also tax and import duty reasons for doing so. You send over a fully completed part (the transmission), you're paying duties on a single piece. You ship over components that are assembled here, the duties are smaller.

The actual only pieces that are actually manufactured at the plant itself are the steel components. That's what you saw in the first minute or so of the video - the coils of steel coming in. You didn't see the blanking line, which is where the coils are cut into rough shape. What you did see was the end of the transfer press, where the sheets literally get spindled, folded, and mutilated into car parts. Those were inner panels for doors coming off the line, in case anyone didn't know..

Basically, all car plants nowadays are assembly plants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts