Subaru Ascent Forum banner
161 - 180 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
^ That, or bring a new halo with an electrically assisted turbocharged drivetrain that can hang - if not beat - the near-rivals of the Ford ST and Jeep Trackhawk.

And bring me my DRIFT mode! 😅

i'll sign right now and wait however long......... I'll take it to Cars & Coffees and rep it at track or test-and-tune days if that's the only way that Subaru will let me have one. I'll sell my soul like Bart Simpson did his.

Ok, maybe not that last, but quite honesty, if there was a Wilderness variant at even 2.5K+ current pricing tiers for each model - versus a $25K premium for the halo street-performance variant, I honestly would have trouble picking one or the other: and may even get one for me, and the other for the wifey.

·
Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
256 Posts
Ok, maybe not that last, but quite honesty, if there was a Wilderness variant at even 2.5K+ current pricing tiers for each model - versus a $25K premium for the halo street-performance variant, I honestly would have trouble picking one or the other: and may even get one for me, and the other for the wifey.
Why buy one when you can buy two for twice the cost? :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
^ Welp, when you guys see me on the cover of Drive Performance, picking up our shrink-wrapped 2-pack of an Ascent Wilderness and Ascent-by-STi, you'll remember that @magnus said it, first! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
Pretty sure this will be the color for us
I think a lot of people will want that color; Its really nice looking and I'm looking forward to seeing one in person. If they'd offer an Onyx version with 8 seats in that color I'd sign over rights to my checking account!

Reactions: TheRaven and TSiWRX

·
Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
256 Posts
The red is pretty for sure! I still want to see the new Cosmic Blue in person. Car paints just don't translate well over recordings unless the photog is really really good and has time to craft it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still waiting to see the 2023 Ascent Limited to understand what the exterior with an 8-passenger option will look like, but found this in the meantime:

Consumer Reports Best 8-Passenger SUVs for Less Than $40,000
Published on
June 12, 2022

Finding an eight-passenger SUV is getting easier and easier. But, these are big vehicles so they’re often at the pricier end of the SUV market. Luckily manufacturers are working to meet the needs of families who need to get all of the kids and cousins around but don’t have $60,000 for a new Jeep Grand Wagoneer. These SUVs that seat eight for less than $40,000 are also stylish, have all of the safety features you’ve come to expect, and look good. Oh, and they’re all some of Consumer Reports best eight-passenger SUVs.

1: Toyota Highlander, $35,855
The new Grand Highlander will be bigger than this current Toyota Highlander, which Consumer Reports recommends.

Toyota Highlander | Toyota
The Toyota Highlander sometimes gets lost in the shuffle at Toyota with the off-road (and seven-seater) 4Runner and RAV4 grabbing most of the headlines. But the Highlander is a capable, nice driving, SUV that seats eight. We’re expecting Toyota to release a new Grand Highlander in 2023 that should be a bit longer and improve this SUV’s capability. Also, it can be ordered as an AWD hybrid model.

2: Honda Pilot, $38,080
2019 Honda Pilot Elite is one of Consumer Reports recommended 8-passenger SUVs

2019 Honda Pilot Elite | Honda

The Honda Pilot may look humble, but it’s one of the fastest SUVs you can buy. The Pilot has a 280-horsepower V6 that gets it to 60 mph in about 6 seconds. The way-back seat doesn’t have the legroom of some of the others’ back seats. But the rest of the cabin makes up for that. It has 16 cupholders, removable second-floor seats that maximize the interior volume when you need it, and a purposeful if not beautiful cockpit. Consumer Reports says it’s one of the best eight-passenger SUVs.

3: Chevrolet Traverse, $33,900
The Traverse was updated for 2022 and earned high marks from Consumer Reports as a

2022 Chevy Traverse | Chevrolet

If you really don’t want a minivan but want the practicality of one, take a look at the Chevy Traverse. The Traverse was new for 2017 and packs a punch with a 310-horsepower V6 (though the Pilot is quicker). The Traverse was updated for 2022 and the safety features that were options before are now standard, such as automated emergency braking. It’s bigger than the other Consumer Reports best eight-passenger SUVs, and that translates to a third row that is designed to seat actual adult-sized people. The second and third rows can also fold flat, which means you can slide a lot into the back of this big SUV.

4: Hyundai Palisade/Kia Telluride, $34,000
The Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade SUVs are recommended by Consume Reports

The Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade SUVs | Kia, Hyundai

The Korean twins are getting a big update for 2023. They don’t need it, the current generation is a phenomenal sales success, but we’re not complaining. For 2023, the upgrades will include new grilles and even nicer interiors. Hyundai gets a new high-end Calligraphy version that moves it significantly beyond $40,000. For less than $40,000 you still get a 3.8-liter V6, modern Kia/Hyundai good looks, and a standard 12-inch touchscreen.
The Palisade and Telluride are Recommended by Consumer Reports as eight-passenger SUVs, and they both top many best-of lists for their all-around capability. The Hyundai is the more traditional of the pair, while the Telluride has a harder edge that gives it more urban cred.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
600 Posts
Still waiting to see the 2023 Ascent Limited to understand what the exterior with an 8-passenger option will look like, but found this in the meantime:

Consumer Reports Best 8-Passenger SUVs for Less Than $40,000
Published on
June 12, 2022

Finding an eight-passenger SUV is getting easier and easier. But, these are big vehicles so they’re often at the pricier end of the SUV market. Luckily manufacturers are working to meet the needs of families who need to get all of the kids and cousins around but don’t have $60,000 for a new Jeep Grand Wagoneer. These SUVs that seat eight for less than $40,000 are also stylish, have all of the safety features you’ve come to expect, and look good. Oh, and they’re all some of Consumer Reports best eight-passenger SUVs.

1: Toyota Highlander, $35,855
The new Grand Highlander will be bigger than this current Toyota Highlander, which Consumer Reports recommends.

Toyota Highlander | Toyota
The Toyota Highlander sometimes gets lost in the shuffle at Toyota with the off-road (and seven-seater) 4Runner and RAV4 grabbing most of the headlines. But the Highlander is a capable, nice driving, SUV that seats eight. We’re expecting Toyota to release a new Grand Highlander in 2023 that should be a bit longer and improve this SUV’s capability. Also, it can be ordered as an AWD hybrid model.

2: Honda Pilot, $38,080
2019 Honda Pilot Elite is one of Consumer Reports recommended 8-passenger SUVs

2019 Honda Pilot Elite | Honda

The Honda Pilot may look humble, but it’s one of the fastest SUVs you can buy. The Pilot has a 280-horsepower V6 that gets it to 60 mph in about 6 seconds. The way-back seat doesn’t have the legroom of some of the others’ back seats. But the rest of the cabin makes up for that. It has 16 cupholders, removable second-floor seats that maximize the interior volume when you need it, and a purposeful if not beautiful cockpit. Consumer Reports says it’s one of the best eight-passenger SUVs.

3: Chevrolet Traverse, $33,900
The Traverse was updated for 2022 and earned high marks from Consumer Reports as a

2022 Chevy Traverse | Chevrolet

If you really don’t want a minivan but want the practicality of one, take a look at the Chevy Traverse. The Traverse was new for 2017 and packs a punch with a 310-horsepower V6 (though the Pilot is quicker). The Traverse was updated for 2022 and the safety features that were options before are now standard, such as automated emergency braking. It’s bigger than the other Consumer Reports best eight-passenger SUVs, and that translates to a third row that is designed to seat actual adult-sized people. The second and third rows can also fold flat, which means you can slide a lot into the back of this big SUV.

4: Hyundai Palisade/Kia Telluride, $34,000
The Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade SUVs are recommended by Consume Reports

The Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade SUVs | Kia, Hyundai

The Korean twins are getting a big update for 2023. They don’t need it, the current generation is a phenomenal sales success, but we’re not complaining. For 2023, the upgrades will include new grilles and even nicer interiors. Hyundai gets a new high-end Calligraphy version that moves it significantly beyond $40,000. For less than $40,000 you still get a 3.8-liter V6, modern Kia/Hyundai good looks, and a standard 12-inch touchscreen.
The Palisade and Telluride are Recommended by Consumer Reports as eight-passenger SUVs, and they both top many best-of lists for their all-around capability. The Hyundai is the more traditional of the pair, while the Telluride has a harder edge that gives it more urban cred.
Not surprised, but still annoyed at the very notable exception from this list. Sigh...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't know what it will take for consumer reports to stop hating the Ascent. Even their own metrics sure huge reliability improvements in the 2020 and 2021. Yet they still the worst possible predicted reliability.

·
Administrator
12,170 Posts
I don't know what it will take for consumer reports to stop hating the Ascent. Even their own metrics sure huge reliability improvements in the 2020 and 2021. Yet they still the worst possible predicted reliability.
I canceled both of my memberships, because I am tired of them not being able to do math, otherwise I had thought about comparing the actual reliability ratings to the other vehicles in the class.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,506 Posts
I will have a video with all the changes soon. In the meantime, please enjoy this look at this brand new color for the Ascent. It's called "Dark Mahogany Pearl".

View attachment 16984
do you happen to know what interior colors will be available for that exterior color for a chosen trim level?

161 - 180 of 194 Posts