Subaru Ascent Forum banner
121 - 140 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Specifically the Onyx looks incredible. They are putting in WAY more features than I thought it would get. From what I can tell, there are really only a small list of items that you get by upgrading to the limited or Touring. Meanwhile, you lose the better IMHO styling.
I can't be sure yet. I want to see the wheels/appearance of the Limited. The press release and website only previews the Onyx and Touring from what I can tell.

Really want to see the Limited appearance (and a list of colors). I have to get an 8-seater.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
7 Posts
So I finished my highlight overview. I left the base and premium out as it seems their changes are only things standard to all models. If anyone notices something I got wrong let me know.

View attachment 17055

With all options applied, it seems like the Onyx and Limited will only be separated by styling differences. It is nice to see Subaru start to give a blacked out trim a wider range of options. Excited to hear more about this from you @Robert.Mauro
DriverFocus is actually optional on Onyx. Otherwise, great comparison chart.
From the press release: "A newly available comprehensive option package for Onyx Edition includes [...] Driver assist technologies included in the option package are new Surround View Monitor and DriverFocus® Distraction Mitigation System."

They are really pushing the Onyx up-market which is great for some buyers, bad for others. Great for people who wanted a "Touring Onyx". Bad for people who want the Onyx appearance at a lower price-point. But that's true of any time standard/optional feature grouping changes. You can't please everyone. I appreciate that side mirror integrated turn signals were added to the Premium and Onyx. I always thought that was an odd omission considering Subaru's other models that have them: Outback Premium & Onyx, Legacy Premium & Sport, Forester Sport, Crosstrek Sport, and Impreza Sport.

For exterior colors, I predict that Dark Mahogany Pearl will replace Crimson Red Pearl and Cosmic Blue Pearl will replace Abyss Blue Pearl. I'm sad about Abyss Blue because it's my favorite, but Cosmic Blue also looks nice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
DriverFocus is actually optional on Onyx. Otherwise, great comparison chart.
From the press release: "A newly available comprehensive option package for Onyx Edition includes [...] Driver assist technologies included in the option package are new Surround View Monitor and DriverFocus® Distraction Mitigation System."

They are really pushing the Onyx up-market which is great for some buyers, bad for others. Great for people who wanted a "Touring Onyx". Bad for people who want the Onyx appearance at a lower price-point. But that's true of any time standard/optional feature grouping changes. You can't please everyone. I appreciate that side mirror integrated turn signals were added to the Premium and Onyx. I always thought that was an odd omission considering Subaru's other models that have them: Outback Premium & Onyx, Legacy Premium & Sport, Forester Sport, Crosstrek Sport, and Impreza Sport.

For exterior colors, I predict that Dark Mahogany Pearl will replace Crimson Red Pearl and Cosmic Blue Pearl will replace Abyss Blue Pearl. I'm sad about Abyss Blue because it's my favorite, but Cosmic Blue also looks nice.
I really want the Onyx simply for the blacked out look (my Wife and I both very much dislike chrome), but without 8 passenger option it's useless to us. I was really hoping for 8 passenger options to make it to the Onyx and Touring trims.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
7 Posts
I see the 20" wheels in black and machined, but they reference the Limited as having gray wheels. Anxious to see the other wheels coming - and the 18" or 19" versions.
It sounds and looks like the wheels shown on the Touring are dark gray painted with machined face and they will also be on the Limited. Since there was no mention of new 18" wheels, I would guess that the Base and Premium will continue with the current 18" design. For reference, the refreshed 2022 Forester got a new wheel design for the Touring, but all the other wheels stayed the same.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
12,164 Posts
For those wondering, this is the H12, yes, it's real, a few were built, and rumor has it one guy bought almost every remaining working one (sadly, not me).

Automotive lighting Audio equipment Metal Auto part Fashion accessory

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
Reactions: TheRaven

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Onyx plus the add-on package seems like everything I could want. We have a Limited 2019 right now. People who know what the leather feels like; how does the StarTex fabric feel? How does it compare to leather?

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Onyx plus the add-on package seems like everything I could want. We have a Limited 2019 right now. People who know what the leather feels like; how does the StarTex fabric feel? How does it compare to leather?
I have a Forester wilderness. The startex is nicer than you would think. It doesn't heat up as much as leather in the summer, but it doesn't really breath either. Can't really beat cloth for that. The waterproof nature of it is spectacular though. For kids it is probably the ultimate seat material. I wish I could get cooled seats, but I'm good with it for now. That would prevent the waterproof side.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Forester wilderness. The startex is nicer than you would think. It doesn't heat up as much as leather in the summer, but it doesn't really breath either. Can't really beat cloth for that. The waterproof nature of it is spectacular though. For kids it is probably the ultimate seat material. I wish I could get cooled seats, but I'm good with it for now. That would prevent the waterproof side.
This is extremely helpful! Got two kids so yeah this sounds really wonderful. Thank you!

·
Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
256 Posts
We picked the Onyx, in part, because of StarTex. Last leather car I had; we got tired of burning ourselves on the seats in the summer.

It has a nice hand feel to it and is not slippery like leather. It's honestly about halfway between cloth and leather in most characteristics. Breathability is about on par with leather IMO, certainly not as good as cloth but not uncomfortably so like old-school vinyl materials.

Pretty please with it really... just wish we could get 8 seats in it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My co-worker has a 2020 Outback Onyx and drives A LOT. He just mentioned the stitching on one of the lower side bolsters isn't holding up. Although he drives such distances he also uses a Purple seat cushion. So that may contribute to the wear.

·
Registered
106 Posts
IF, I were to be asked, none of these things make my list or entice me at all. What I would want (in order)---

--a better designed front seat with more bolster support
--at least 50 more HP (and torque)
--reprogram the CVT to eliminate the stupid fake shifts.
--adjustable steering assist (too twichy now)
--a better air conditioner (got in the car at 97 yesterday and it took almost 20 miles before it really felt cool--my other two cars will hang meat in 5)
--could we get a seat heater that heats more than the middle strip?

It's all irrelevant to me as the car won't qualify for my car program based on highway MPG next time anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We picked the Onyx, in part, because of StarTex. Last leather car I had; we got tired of burning ourselves on the seats in the summer.

It has a nice hand feel to it and is not slippery like leather. It's honestly about halfway between cloth and leather in most characteristics. Breathability is about on par with leather IMO, certainly not as good as cloth but not uncomfortably so like old-school vinyl materials.

Pretty please with it really... just wish we could get 8 seats in it.
Awesome, Magus, this is very helpful. I'm looking forward to getting the Onyx for sure now.

·
Administrator
12,164 Posts
121 - 140 of 192 Posts