Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,
I like this thread. I hope Subaru is monitoring and LISTENING to us. We just want to make their product better!
My list:
1) As stated in another post - but it is so obvious, it bears repeating: Power folding side view mirrors.
2) push button activation from cargo area for folding down 3rd row seats. This is standard on: Kia, Hyundai, Toyota. The Ascent should have this feature.
3) USB charger/outlet on driver's side of 3rd row seating area.
4) The plastic clips used to lock in the rear passenger head rests are cheap and old technology. They are a break point and should be better engineered.
5) the carpeting in the cabin is very cheap and thin. I have concerns it will not hold up to rugged, everyday use over the next 10 years.
6) don't need transmission paddle-shifters on an SUV. This is over-engineering by definition. My wife, the main driver, has no idea what to do with these. Frankly, I don't see any need for them at all. Very poor decision. Keep them on the WRX.
7) The driver's instrument gauges are set to deep in the dash. With the driver's seat raised to it's highest, and the steering wheel advanced to a comfortable position, the driver loses a clear view of the gauges. Poor engineering. the steering wheel needs more / better tilt options to off-set the poor gauge location.

A small list, but all very easy to fix on future iterations.
I disagree about the paddle shifters. I use them extensively to improve my gas mileage. I can't tell you the number of times I've found myself cruising at 65 mph on a level highway, only to find that my Subaru has me in 6th or 7th gear! So I put my Ascent into Manual, and use the paddle shifters to keep me in a higher gear. If I work at in, on highways I can get 30+mph. In the city, I can get 1-2 mph better than in automatic.

That said, I think almost all of the settings should be power driven...mirrors (position), steering wheel, shoulder strap, headrest, and seat. My wife is 1' shorter than I, and I swore when we bought our next vehicle, it would be all automatically adjustable....then we bought the Ascent. Don't get me wrong, I like the Ascent, but wonder about the automatic mirror/seat/headrest/wheel adjustments.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
I like this thread. I hope Subaru is monitoring and LISTENING to us. We just want to make their product better!
My list:
1) As stated in another post - but it is so obvious, it bears repeating: Power folding side view mirrors.
2) push button activation from cargo area for folding down 3rd row seats. This is standard on: Kia, Hyundai, Toyota. The Ascent should have this feature.
4) The plastic clips used to lock in the rear passenger head rests are cheap and old technology. They are a break point and should be better engineered.
5) the carpeting in the cabin is very cheap and thin. I have concerns it will not hold up to rugged, everyday use over the next 10 years.
6) don't need transmission paddle-shifters on an SUV. This is over-engineering by definition. My wife, the main driver, has no idea what to do with these. Frankly, I don't see any need for them at all. Very poor decision. Keep them on the WRX.
7) The driver's instrument gauges are set to deep in the dash. With the driver's seat raised to it's highest, and the steering wheel advanced to a comfortable position, the driver loses a clear view of the gauges. Poor engineering. the steering wheel needs more / better tilt options to off-set the poor gauge location.

I would add:
1. The seat memory buttons should also remember the position of the site rearview mirrors. My '94 Saab had this 25 years ago!
2. I have a 2019 Touring model. I can't understand why the front hood doesn't have gas shocks instead of a rod to hold the hood up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,
My list:

I can lift/drop the 3rd row faster than any motorized version. Remember, adding these motors would add to the price of the vehicle, and increase the complexity of something already complex! In snow/salt country mechanisms like these get messed up if you carry a lot of snow-wet cargo like skis, snowboards, boots and the like.

Paddle shifters are on everything. I like them. You get a lot less stress on the drivetrain by using the paddle to downshift rather than jamming the throttle to the floor to get the downshift.

I would suggest Subaru ditch the CVTs (especially on the automatic WRX) and go with a DSG. My Q5 has this setup and it is awesome. Then you can really have a manual transmission experience with the paddle shifting.

Also on the nit-pick list would be to keep tire/rim sizes completely optional up and down the line. 20" wheels do not do well in pothole country, and the tire size is expensive, especially if you do the seasonal switch over. We have a Limited, and I would have preferred to drop to a 19" or 18" rim size.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would have preferred a 19 inch rim on the ascent Touring. Other than aesthetics, it doesn't provide much benefit. More unsprung weight, less tire choice ( and more expensive), and this isn't a performance car so it really doesn't need tires that big.

All my cars have paddle shifters, and use them least frequently on the ascent for sporting driving, but I do use them in an attempt to improve my terrible mileage ( the long-timers here have seen all my posts on that already).

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,127 Posts
1. The seat memory buttons should also remember the position of the site rearview mirrors.
Yes, that's certainly on "my" list for an improvement. My daughter is a whackadoodle when it comes to side mirror positions and it's a pain to change them back after she drives my Ascent...which admittedly is very infrequently, such as if we need her Outback in the shop for maintenance. Professor Dr. SWMBO has never driven my Ascent yet, but it would be a similar thing since she's much shorter than I am.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi,
My list:

Hi Elon_Ascent.

Is this your 1st Subaru? They are know to be really quirky in the 90s, but the modern Subaru's are almost conventional in how they layout and option a car. When I was a young boy, I mean I remember sitting in Subaru XT6 and my brain could not comprehend how the steering wheel worked. Google Subaru XT6 interior if you are curious.
With that said...

1. Folding mirrors are standard on the 2020 Touring models
2. I like the pull straps personally as I seen some power folding chairs take what seems like an eternity to fold.
3. The Ascent I almost bought (should have bought), had the 3rd row USB chargers. They are optional and are located behind the rear temperature sensor. I wonder if that Ascent is still on it's 1st transmission? The one that got away...
4. I will give you that one about the clips. What is it with Subaru and their clips and harnesses.
5. I have the rubber floor mats cuz my boys are animals...oh and seat cover too!
6. I like the paddle shifters. I remember my 2005 Legacy GT has +/- buttons on hte steering wheel instead of the paddles. In 2006 Subaru switched them with paddles just to spite me. Oh don't get me started on the 3.5mm audio in!
7. You should have seen my 08 Tribeca. Steering wheel only tilted, it did not telescope!

Best Regards

·
Registered
78 Posts
shift lever will end up being a personal preference and varies widely. I think the paddles look cleaner.
+1 on the liftgate though!

side note: I was driving home from work today approaching my wraparound exit. Naturally I need to decelerate because no vehicles in my possession can take this curve at 70mph. Without thinking, I canceled cruise control, lifted my left foot and stomped on the footrest while grabbing and pulling back on the shifter. Neither of these actions successfully slowed my Ascent. Does anyone else do this after driving a stick-shift?
No.. but I do occasionally forget I don't have a clutch pedal when coming towards a stop and go through the motion to push on the clutch area and accidently clip the brake pedal, and the right foot while on the brake is still positioned for that heel-toe.

But, I still use the e-brake when I park the car out of habit from driving a stick.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No.. but I do occasionally forget I don't have a clutch pedal when coming towards a stop and go through the motion to push on the clutch area and accidently clip the brake pedal, and the right foot while on the brake is still positioned for that heel-toe.

But, I still use the e-brake when I park the car out of habit from driving a stick.
I used to do this all the time but haven't had a manual in close to 20 years now.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts